Appeal from former AAPA president, please read

Glen E. Combs here. Past president of the AAPA. Let there be no mistake that the current title Physician Assistant will change to Physician Associate by the end of the decade. Unfortunately, The AAPA leadership believes that the sweeping change will cost too much. You are going to hear the continued diatribe that "The Academy has too many more pressing issues to contend with"... and certainly will not have any money to throw at this political hot potato. The census question on title change is flawed due in part of to attempting to sway the vote based on "How much would you want to pay to see the change?". To link the title change to a threat of having to pay for it makes the question biased.

Personally, I would like to give the Academy leadership the opportunity to do the right thing and give fellow members the freedom to call themselves Physician Assistants or Physician Associates. I am hopeful a resolution to the Toronto HOD will appear and be considered as the way to go in resolving this 20 year debate. This is what I would like to see in the 2012 AAPA policy book "The AAPA is a democratic organization that feels the title that fellow members use should be of personal choice. The AAPA will not take a position to block or obstruct the wishes of it's membership.

Furthermore, the AAPA will remain neutral on this issue allowing the trend of changing the title left up to the fellow member. The fellow member assuming responsibility for changing their title is advised not to violate any law.

What we, who support the name change, need to do is offer the Academy cover and not to force or demand the Academy to take a stand at this time. I believe if the Academy would take this position we would all win in the long run. PAs will gradually change their title to associate without malice. The trend will be monitored by the AAPA and in time rules and regulations will adopt the "new" title and at the same time the Academy will change it's name to the American Academy of Physician Associates.

The PR alone will be enormous because we will market the new title to 3rd party payors, to medical boards and state legislatures. To re-invent our role is well over due. The last creditable role delineation study was conducted in the mid 1970's. The time has come to re-match the role to what we do best and that is practice medicine.

I have been using the title physician associate for years. I have not been sued, jailed or criticized. Why have I adopted the title physician associate? Very simply, I am not an "assistant" to a primary care physician anymore.

If the HOD fails to accept the "freedom of choice" resolution, I would have to really reconsider my life time membership with my beloved AAPA and my concern is multiplied by thousand of PAs who feel their voices are no longer being heard by the Academy leadership. If the leadership can not correct it's chronic deafness they risk the real possibility of loosing all ground in trying to attract new members and holding on to their 50% membership. They must accept the fact that we have too many issues that are hampered by continuing to use the old and historic title 'physician ASSISTANT" The title needs to be retired to the apostrophe's archive file and welcome our new title physician ASSOCIATE.

I am gathering names and personal statements from prominent PAs across the nation who favor the title change. If you would like to be on the list please email your permission to use your name and statement. An example of a statement might be: "I support the name change because I feel the title physician assistant is no longer descriptive of my role causing confusion on the part of my patients".

Send your statement (1 or 2 sentences), name and email address to: Glen E Combs, MA, PA-C - GEC122448@aol.com and I will be sure your position will be reflective in the position paper that I am preparing for the Toronto HOD. Thank you for your support and let's hope the HOD will support a resolution that gives our members a "freedom of choice" and end the title debate.

gec

Seeing that he is planning on presenting this in Toronto made me think of something. EMEDPA, have you engaged with PA leaders in Canada and other countries that have PAs? Do you see a future with American Physician Associates while the rest of the world still has Physician Assistants or is this going to be an international push for change?

I'm NOT EMEDPA but... its a Great question.

After traveling and interacting with our counterparts in other parts of the world... I'd feel safe stating that they wouldn't care.. as in MOST places that train and utilize what we know as "Physician Assistants" don't call them that... they were smart enough to label themselves something different from the onset.

MOST places call them Clinical Officers or something else similar and even have different levels with increasing scope of practice and Autonomy/independence.

See Here: "Clinical Officer"

It is PA’s like you(Febrifuge) that really drive me crazy! You see no point in being a AAPA member but you're willing to reap all of the benefits that the Academy(and its constituent organizations) has provided to you. Example: Reimbursement, prescriptive privileges, and commissioning of our military personnel just to name a few. Yet, you make it seem to me that you base your whole opinion of the Academy solely around the title of your profession. You and other PA’s in this profession need to step back and do some soul searching and be grateful for the services the Academy has provided for you over the last 40 years. If every PA had an attitude like yours we would have never may the progress we have to date and be looked upon as the fastest growing and most in demand healthcare professionals.

John D. Trimbath, PA-C, MPAS (Retired)

Past President Ohio Association of Physician Assistants

Past Secretary and Director At Large, AAPA

Past Chairman, OAPA Governmental Affairs and Reimbursement Committee

Past Chairman, AAPA Judicial Affairs Committee

I am not sure how you can make the statement "unnecessarily personal". If you don't want your opinions/statements challenged, don't post on this forum. It is quite obvious you missed my point. My question to you," Notwithstanding this issue of the title the of profession, why do you see no point in being a member of your professional organization”? And by what other means do you think this profession would make progress if not through the work of the AAPA?

I certainly don't mind a challenge to my opinions, or even to my facts. And I suppose I appreciate your willingness to engage. I just was caught off-guard by seeing someone with such an impressive signature block, seemingly being not just frustrated, but taking it out on me personally. This was just my immediate perception, complicated by a paucity of experience reading your posts and taking part in discussion with you, as this is the first time I've "met" you on the forum.

So, to answer your questions: yes, I consider the name issue to be important. Obviously I was happy to pursue - as a non-traditional student with a stable job and everything - the schooling and debt and commitment to earn my PA-C. And I don't mean to sound ungrateful for those who built up the profession before. However, since the AAPA has made it clear that the name change is either not a front-and-center issue for them, and/or have at times seemed dismissive of or even hostile to the idea, at the very least it's an organization with different ideas than mine about the priorities we as a group should be facing, and at worst they're an impediment to a change I consider important.

It could be that I'm incapable of looking at it as a question "notwithstanding the name of the profession," because I believe our continued advancement rests very much on public perception and clarity about who and what we are. All the lobbying about reimbursement for hospice and other issues are undeniably important, and I'm glad that work is being done. I simply think my support, limited as it is by time and funds available, should go where I personally think it will do the most good.

My comment was an aside, a throwaway remark about how I'm happy to see the steps described in the original post being taken, even if I myself can't attend Toronto or vote in the HOD. I was taken aback to see a former high-ranking AAPA admin seemingly getting in my face, appearing to call me out for being ungrateful. I've never seen anything quite like that, in the nearly six years I've been part of this community.

As to what other means can be used, I'm drafting a letter to my state congressperson, hoping to add "Physician Associate" to the list of titles protected by state law, and reserved for use by licensed professionals only. Direct action, in other words.

I am not sure how you can make the statement "unnecessarily personal". If you don't want your opinions/statements challenged, don't post on this forum. It is quite obvious you missed my point. My question to you," Notwithstanding this issue of the title the of profession, why do you see no point in being a member of your professional organization”? And by what other means do you think this profession would make progress if not through the work of the AAPA?

I am still a student, and while I recognize and appreciate the achievements of AAPA, titles MEAN something.

I was quite disappointed to hear one of our national leaders give the line about how difficult such a name change would be, and why it was not such a big deal-essentially excuses.

Its our image, it matters, and our leadership should spearhead it.

Yeah...

Mr. Jdtpac has posted/unloaded quite a few ASSumptions in his vitriolic response that just doesn't hold true with all/many PAs.

GREAT post Febrifuge...!!!!!

Contrarian,

You interpreted my responses as"vitriolic", well then I guess I (and others) can assume you don't believe your remarks are slanderous or caustic by any means. Unlike yourself, who has over 5000 posts on this forum to my 23 (since 2006) , I commented on this post because I strongly believed there was a misstatement about OUR Academy. I rarely remark to posts but when I do it is because I feel there is a need to either clarification or render a counterpoint about an issue. I have been in OUR profession since being honorably discharged from the U.S. Air Force in 1972 and have been a very active and loyal member of OUR Academy since 1979. So please excuse me if it I often feel the necessity for promoting and/or defending the organization that has helped to establish the underpinning of OUR profession and provide both members and non-members with the scope of practice our profession was intended to achieve to date.

Furthermore, unlike yourself, when I reply to a post and make a remark that might be interpreted as controversial I do not hide behind my forum username. I would suggest that the next time you make an unprofessional and scathing remark about another member of YOUR profession you might employ a little intestinal fortitude and backup that remark by revealing your surname to that individual (and everyone else). I will conclude by asking you to "Man up, Contrarian" and please pardon me if I paraphrase from the late JFK’s inaugural address:" Ask not what YOUR Academy has done for you, ask what you have done for YOUR Academy".

Respectfully submitted,

John D. Trimbath, PA-C,MPAS

Ha... ha... "Man-up"... Ha...ha... your archaic notions are quaint... and hilarious.

Being STUPID enough to post your full name on a OPEN internet forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a "man."

Ha... ha... "Man-up"... ha..ha...

Did they teach you that your "manhood" was somehow tied to the world wide web in the AirForce... or the AAPA...???? Or was it in Physical/Occupational/Art Therapy...??

Then in a classic "passive agressive" manner... you end that nonsense with "Respectfully submitted"...

You're FUNNY ...!!!

But I'm gonna cut you some slack since it wouldn't be a fair fight considering your neuro and mobility issues...

The REASON technology savvy folks don't post their real names on open internet forums is because it took me all of 2 minutes to get YOUR address, phone number (home and cellular), last practice addresses, last supervising physicians, daughters name and address, former spouse name, and the fact that you had a un-timely accident a few yrs back.

The REASON technology savvy folks don't post their real names on open internet forums is because of this thing called PERSEC (personal security).

Since you have been busy elsewhere... I'll tell you that there HAVE been occassions where folks have come here and on other forums and printed off posts of their co-worker and gave them to their employers. There have been instances where people competing for raises and/or advancement have used open internet post by competiters to sway the results in their favor.

Since you are retired now...

Maybe YOU don't know that pretty much any company worth working for/with does background checks... and most now include a google searchs of the applicants name in that search.

So... ummm... posting your full name on a OPEN internet forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a "man." Avoiding this is simply prudent for ANYONE who works with the public... but may have un-conventional opinions they express from time to time.

Just last yr... our group dismissed several nurses for what THEY (the nurses and low level ancillary staff) thought were various petty reasons... but in reality, their internet profiles were brought to the attention of a few influential "puritans."

That said...

Just know... that not everyone agrees with YOUr preceived value of the AAPA on every issue and some PAs don't support what they see as obstructionist behavior...

If the HOD fails to accept the "freedom of choice" resolution, I would have to really reconsider my life time membership with my beloved AAPA and my concern is multiplied by thousand of PAs who feel their voices are no longer being heard by the Academy leadership. If the leadership can not correct it's chronic deafness they risk the real possibility of loosing all ground in trying to attract new members and holding on to their 50% membership.

But yeah... since the AAPA held a fundraiser for YOU... YOUR "cap flapping in the wind" is understandable.

Have a very PA day...

Contrarian

P.S... Nice Pictures... but you should also probably adjust YOUR FaceBook security settings...

Thank you for your explanation of protecting my and my families security. As you can tell, by my limited posting and use of the Internet I may not have been as savvy as many of you. Again, you have many of your facts stated incorrectly and as usual unable to articulate your issues with the Academy. If you are concerned that you may make incorrect statements about our profession and our Academy, at the risk of you being percieved as politically illiterate, you apparently have my cell phone number so feel free to call me any time and we might have potentially a civil and constructive debate, Oh wise one of the PA Forum.

PS: You also have a good day and for your information I am not first-person or only person who has used their name on this forum.

Ha... ha... "Man-up"... Ha...ha... your archaic notions are quaint... and hilarious.

Being STUPID enough to post your full name on a OPEN internet forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a "man."

Did they teach you that your "manhood" was somehow tied to the world wide web in the AirForce... or the AAPA...???? Or was it in Physical/Occupational/Art Therapy...??

Then in a classic "passive agressive" manner... you end that nonsense with "Respectfully submitted"...

You're FUNNY ...!!!

But I'm gonna cut you some slack since it wouldn't be a fair fight considering your neuro and mobility issues...

The REASON technology savvy folks don't post their real names on open internet forums is because it took me all of 2 minutes to get YOUR address, phone number (home and cellular), last practice addresses, last supervising physicians, daughters name and address, former spouse name, and the fact that you had a un-timely accident a few yrs back.

The REASON technology savvy folks don't post their real names on open internet forums is because of this thing called PERSEC (personal security).

Since you have been busy elsewhere... I'll tell you that there HAVE been occassions where folks have come here and on other forums and printed off posts of their co-worker and gave them to their employers. There have been instances where people competing for raises and/or advancement have used open internet post by competiters to sway the results in their favor.

Since you are retired now...

Maybe YOU don't know that pretty much any company worth working for/with does background checks... and most now include a google searchs of the applicants name in that search.

So... ummm... posting your full name on a OPEN internet forum has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a "man." Avoiding this is simply prudent for ANYONE who works with the public... but may have un-conventional opinions they express from time to time.

Just last yr... our group dismissed several nurses for what THEY (the nurses and low level ancillary staff) thought were various petty reasons... but in reality, their internet profiles were brought to the attention of a few influential "puritans."

That said...

Just know... that not everyone agrees with YOUr preceived value of the AAPA on every issue and some PAs don't support what they see as obstructionist behavior...

But yeah... since the AAPA held a fundraiser for YOU... YOUR "cap flapping in the wind" is understandable.

Have a very PA day...

Contrarian

P.S... Nice Pictures... but you should also probably adjust YOUR FaceBook security settings...

Touche, my Brother!

EMEDPA,

As a moderator on this forum I think you need to get control of this thread. I have no problems exchanging thoughtful and at times provoking debate on any issue. However when that debate deteriorates to name calling and insensitive comments the spirit of problem solving and sharing of information becomes bastardized. Unfortunately, some might interpret Contrarian’s comments as strikingly pathologic. Paranoia and narcissist thinking makes him locked in his own world of self-grandeur. Maybe he should consider some psychotherapy. How he got admitted to a PA program is beyond me. Hate and insensitivity are a destructive force. He seems to be saying that the Internet is an open book as if we are prone to making mistakes in using it. We both know the dangers of clicking that send button without pondering what affect it will have on those who will unofficially receive it. In this case, we are faced with an individual who has a personal agenda that is not in any way relevant to reality, but down right hateful.

Supporting comments by CAdams PAC “The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.Pacifism is a luxury paid for by warriors!! Each night before going to bed, "The Bogeyman" checks under his bed for Contrarian & Chuck Norris!” are as equally inflammatory and border on scare tactics that should not be tolerated on an intellectual and professional forum. Comments like these have resulted in individuals forfeiting their privileges on forums and possibly the closure of websites.

The managers of the PA Forum need to be made aware of these individuals comments and attitudes. I don't think this is what I or other individuals who enjoy coming to this forum to discuss issues facing their workplace, specialties and the profession envisioned this type of rhetoric coming from providers of health care services.

I apologize if my comments were in any way misinterpreted as being inappropriate or insensitive to any individual on this forum. And I personally would like to return to a discussion of the issue that started this thread which was discussing and/or supporting the issue of the current title of our profession. I would hope their other individuals who will read my comments and agree.

Archived