Female PA's - Baby Talk

I have a question for female PA students and current PA's. I am still in the application process but like to have a plan or at least an idea of a plan. I am recently married and would like to know your personal experiences as far as timing of having children? Before school, during, after? I would really like to have an extended time period off with my child after they are born so is taking a little time off after graduating a common thing or do people generally jump straight in to work? Is it impossible to have a child during school? Because of school and my husband's career we kind of have to plan these types of things if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lots of variables to this question.  

There are a couple of recent threads with discussion about managing PA school and children.  Here are titles of two:  

Tell me about your schedule during the didactic portion

moms in PA school- I need your advice!!

I, and a number of others, have done it, with children of varying ages.  In school, a LOT depends on your support system, and no, you won't get any extended time off (or it would be a highly unusual situation - extending your time to completion).  I don't recommend being pregnant or having a child while in school; both are physically tough!  I don't think I'd recommend taking time off between graduating and starting work.  From the advice I've seen, your first year or two (or more) you are still doing a lot of learning - more detail as well as how to use the massive amount you learned in the intense PA program.  I suspect you would be at a significant disadvantage if you waited rather than utilizing your education and cementing it in your brain.  

I am currently a student, so I won't comment on options as a practicing PA, although I had 4 children while working in a different career - you set priorities and you make choices.  That being said, always bear in mind that your career is likely to span many, many years; your children are only young once.  

It's all been done before.  Before, during, and after.  I don't have kids so I won't weigh in, but know that no choice will be easy.

I will throw a plug in for not delaying your career after graduating - you could forget a lot and find it difficult to find employment.  It seems like typically students take a few months off - just long enough to take/pass PANCE and get all their paperwork in order - and many have the jobs lined up before graduating.  If you delay for any reason - kids or no - you will find yourself competing for jobs with new grads who also have no experience but are 'fresher' out of school.  Just something to keep in mind.

Honestly, depending on where you are in the process, and if you get in or not, you may want to consider kids prior to PA school in order to have that time off with them -but then you're still looking at childcare while they're young and it still won't be easy.   During school is generally.....not encouraged....by anyone, especially faculty.  I'm sure it happens but unless you "drop out" and fall back a year - you likely won't get 'extended' time off with your new baby.

Woman in my year had a baby and was in her seat for class five days later.

Another woman had twins during clinical year and had several other kids already at home.

Couple men became dads during school, but that is a little bit different.

So it's not impossible. It looked pretty hard though. I waited until after PA school and it was still hard, being pregnant in my first year out while trying to settle into a new job. My timing worked out that I had my baby shortly after I had been there for a year, so I got my FMLA etc.

Thing is... it's always going to be hard. And not to be a Debbie Downer, but getting pregnant and having a healthy child are not a given in this life. Make a list of your priorities, and if having a baby is close to the top then go for it. If you end up pregnant in PA school talk to your advisers and program director. I guarantee with the population of women pursuing this career you will not be the first to come to them asking about options and advice. If you have a baby afterwards be honest in your interviews. Make sure you understand your employer's policies about time off, both immediately postpartum and later.

PA school is stressful. I always tell incoming students to do everything possible to make sure that they have a handle on outside stressors (family, finances, etc.)

Having said that, and as noted above, people have been successful with just about every family situation you could imagine. Your success will be entirely dependent upon your determination and organizational skills. You are in the driver's seat. I have found one of the most important predictors of success when childcare is in the picture is having strong family support.

I would say either wait to start your career after PA school and have a child or have your child when your working depending on your financial situation. I would definitely not try to have a kid while you are in PA school. It is a very stressful time. In my program, the majority of people who dropped out were those with young children.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say either wait to start your career after PA school and have a child or have your child when your working depending on your financial situation. I would definitely not try to have a kid while you are in PA school. It is a very stressful time. In my program, the majority of people who dropped out were those with young children.

Whoah.. if you have enough people dropping out that you're able to identify a majority within that group. Yikes. We had one student withdraw during the didactic year, and he was single as far as I know.

I have a class mate that delivered her baby during our didactic phase. Programs cannot hold that against you; its illegal. As long as you have a good support system you can make it work.

They can't hold it against you but they also can only accommodate you so much.  This isn't like having a job where you get maternity leave.  You aren't going to get time off (aside from maybe a few days) because with exams every week a person can get behind really quickly.

It's a very real possibility that a person would have to go on medical leave and drop back a year if they require significant time off.

Archived