Sign in to follow this  

Recommendation letter from a surgical assistant?

I shadowed a surgeon for many hours and got to know him well, but I also spent many hours with his surgical assistant (not tech). I was wondering what someone thought about asking both of them for a recommendation letter? Would it be redundant since they both know me in the same setting/conditions or would it be extra cushion for my app? They both would be able to write strong letters for me so quality would not be an issue for either of them. 

Don't you know anyone better than some people you shadowed? Think about who can best talk about you and be the most eloquent and believable.

Unless you have to have a doc and this one is your best choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would try and not have someone you shadowed as they don't really know you that well. As far as having people write you a recommendation letter in the same capacity, all 5 of mine were people I worked with in the surgery department and I got accepted to PA school. Ultimately, I believe it really comes down to your personal statement and grades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

It would be better to ask someone you worked with in a professional capacity rather than shadowed. However, if the surgeon is your only/best option, then it seems redundant to have the surgical assistant write one as well.

I have cna healthcare experience but the difficult part is that i work for an agency meaning I go to different facilities for almost every shift. This results in not having the same supervisors and not being able to form those relationships. so im grasping at straws for letters. I work at my undergraduate library as well. That boss knows me well but not in a healthcare setting...

I guess I am now also having a similar problem too when I thought I was golden all along until I read these posts... I thought this whole time it WAS a good idea to have the someone's you shadowed write a letter of rec about you? Now I guess I'm realizing that's not the case. I have 2 professors that know my academic capabilities and I have 2 pas that I shadowed in different areas of medicine I thought they would be good. I work in the hospital and mainly over nights... I barely see the supervisor unless it's for a code or something. They're also super busy and have been known to not be that reliable with deadlines and stuff. They're not the best person for me to ask although I wish they were honestly. The only other people I see is basically the nurses that work up there and occasionally the residents but only when we call them up there when there's a problem (they're usually down in the ER the whole night) so they don't really know me either. I'm quiet at work, I do a good job, I go above and beyond for my patients, I get things done, but I'm quiet and I usually just keep to myself and get my work done. Maybe I should've been more outgoing I'm kinda regretting that now :/

I have cna healthcare experience but the difficult part is that i work for an agency meaning I go to different facilities for almost every shift. This results in not having the same supervisors and not being able to form those relationships. so im grasping at straws for letters. I work at my undergraduate library as well. That boss knows me well but not in a healthcare setting...

Then the surgeon is the best option! You have considered all the possibilties and now have your answer. You got this!

@psych2PA - Letters from PAs you have shadowed are not negative, they just may not be as strong as someone who has worked with you professionally. Depending on the person you could ask a supervisor at work for a LOR, and then provide them with key points to emphasize (you work hard, get things done effectively, story about a code you helped with, etc) and consistent reminders of the deadline. You are the best judge of your options. If you do not feel there is someone at work who will write you an excellent LOR, then continue with your current plan. Professionally I have used references from supervisors I did not know well and it has worked out in my favor, but not everyone is comfortable doing this. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Drnewton
      So I’m applying to around 15 schools this next cycle (April 30th), and I’m stressing out a little bit about getting my letters of evaluation. I have had three people agree to do them already and I feel very confident about them (2 recent science professors and a firefighter chief I worked with on calls as an EMT). I also might ask my supervisor at my job I’ve been at for 1.5 years as an EMT. My problem is I don’t have any connections with any PAs, doctors, NPs, etc., and It seems like a lot of schools want a LOR from one of these professions, but as an EMT, I don’t really work directly with these professions a lot. The only time I do work with them is when I give them a quick patient report, but I rarely ever see them again because there are so many hospitals where I work (LA). Plus, my company mostly just does dialysis transports. I also haven’t been able to shadow anyone aside from an ER doctor for one shift 2 years ago. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation and have a suggestion on what to do? Thank you in advance! 
    • By pleaseandthankyou
      Hello PA Forum,

I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for specific PA schools considering my following goals and statistics. I would like to apply this summer for 2019 matriculation.

Goals: Ideally I would like to work as a PA in a hospital setting. While I don't quite know my exact area of interest, I prefer primary care, emergency, and internal medicine over surgery. Additionally, I have a strong interest in contributing to research.
      Statistics/Background:
      3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.45 science GPA at a private academic university  159 Verbal (82%tile), 158 Quant (70%tile), 4.5 Writing (82%tile) 9100 hours in paid and volunteering positions in the medical field (almost all clinical research) of which ~2000hrs were direct patient contact. Multiple presentations, with a publication in progress.  Lots of shadowing with multiple medical professionals, but getting more with PAs I meet all prerequisites for most schools, but note I took physio without the lab (although I took anatomy with lab), and I never took a medical terminology course Pretty diverse extra-circulars with leadership roles and teaching experiences Thank you for your insight!
      Best,
      -pleaseandthankyou
    • By MOO2018
      Hello. Below I have posted a letter I am considering sending to a PA for a potential shadow opportunity. IParts have been taken from other letters I found on the forum. I am just looking to see if this letter is appropriate. Any editing would be appreciated. This will be my first shadow experience for a PA and like others i have concerns about how much time i should be looking to spend with them. It is also close to holiday time and what wondering if i should wait till after the new year to send the letter? Thanks for the help.

Dear Ms. Z
      I am a recent graduate of the Emergency Medicine degree program at the University of Pittsburgh (2014). I am currently working as a Telemetry Technician at [Hospital 1]and an Emergency Room Technician at [Hospital 2] I'm working towards applying to the 2018 cycle of physician assistant programs and am looking for an opportunity to learn more about the PA profession. I found your information through the TJUH and Philadelphia PA program website, where I discovered you have experience at [Hospital 1] as well. I am writing you in hopes of requesting a chance to shadow you.
      I recognize that you are busy and your time is valuable. If you are willing, I would welcome the opportunity to come in and observe you at work for a day or two. I would be very grateful for the chance to gain more insight into a profession I have increasing wanted to partake in over the last few years.
      I will be contacting your office next week to further discuss this with you. Feel free to contact me beforehand at (xxx)-xxx-xxxx or email me at shadowing@email.com. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
      Sincerely,
      X
    • By peonies
      Hi all! So I am shadowing a PA again tomorrow that I shadowed earlier this month. She reached out to me after I sent her a letter at her practice expressing my desire to shadow. She was eager to answer my questions and go into detail explaining each patient case to me. I was wondering what questions would be good to ask her tomorrow. Would it be appropriate to ask her if she would be willing to write a letter of recommendation? To shadow her again? If she would be willing to serve as sort of a mentor to me over email? I don't want to be too forward, but I do eventually need a letter of rec from a PA and it can be hard to find PAs to shadow! 
      Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More