DFAAPA

The free reception at the aapa conference alone makes this worth the price of admission. it's a nice event that is catered with drinks, etc. I've been 3 times and eaten and drunk way more than $65 worth...in all seriousness, I had this same discussion with a very well known and respected pa before getting mine. his argument is that it is the highest level of recognition granted to senior PAs and having this looks good on a cv to future employers or in the event of a lawsuit. it's kind of like the caq argument. better to have it than be asked why you don't...."so PA Slorar, I see you have been a pa for x years. many senior pas have a caq in x specialty and recognition from their specialty organization for excellence in service. why don't you have this credential? I would submit to the jury that it is because pa slorar isn't the best her profession has to offer, in fact her actions in this case seem to make that quite clear..." it's only $65. just do it for the free reception if for no other reason. I did senior fellow of sempa for the same reason.

Your mileage may vary, but I have always regarded it along the lines of the emails I get that say, "Congratulations, you have been selected for inclusion in Who's Who!" I think it is mainly a small revenue stream for the AAPA. The $65 is not much, but the DFAAPA's are probably more likely to renew on an annual basis and keep the dues coming.

Any honor bestowed on the basis of a self-nomination will always be a little dubious in my eyes. It is also a little tainted by the fact that I know some DFAAPAs that are complete jackasses.

Don't even know what a DFAAPA is. Guess I'd have to join AAPA to know. As E stated, if you'll feed me, ETOH me, I might consider.

you have to be a member for > 12 years and have a certain # of "points" that any pa would have. you get points for precepting, having additional degrees, writing an article, volunteering your time, etc.

you have to be a member for > 12 years and have a certain # of "points" that any pa would have.

This is not exactly what has typically come to mind when I think about what "distinguished" means. (But then, my meter is probably set too high. Our presidential candidates don't exactly meet my definition of "presidential," either.)

You must have graduated 12 years or more ago and have been a member for 9 out of the last 12 years.  This DFAAPA, along with the Clinical Preceptor AAPA after your name (e.g., CPAAPA) seems....to have no value.  Does this really do anything for us?  The CPAAPA requires precepting more then one student and a letter of endorsement from a PA program.  

Archived