Respect

A couple of interesting threads lately make me feel the need to make this point.  Whenever you as a PA allow yourself to be disrespected, it diminishes us all.  The attitude I sometimes hear from colleagues is that "I'm only a PA."  In other words, because they are not a doctor, they don't feel the need to demand respect.  I reject that.

I realize that there can be difficult and unique circumstances.  Some have been discussed here and we (collectively) have made suggestions.

I even sometimes feel that we as a profession have an inferiority complex.  We don't change our name because we fear reprisal from doctors.  We don't demand more autonomy, even though NP's do.  We don't demand to be allowed to prescribe diabetic shoes (when the initial law was written or rules promulgated, we play catch-up months or years later!)  Too slowly, some of this appears to be changing.  And yes, I realize these issues are more complex.

We are providers.  We practice medicine.  We are human beings.  We should both treat others with respect and require that we be treated with respect.  No less.  

I think our historically 'dependent' role fosters an aversion to confrontation. Especially in hospital-based specialties where there is a hierarchy.

But that is no excuse to be talked down to or treated like garbage. We are professionals, we generate revenue, and we deserve as much respect as anyone else in the clinic or hospital.

A big part of it is demeanor; if you conduct yourself with confidence people will treat you like you know what you are doing. The other piece is correction and confrontation. That is a fine art in today's customer-service, politically correct, dont-hurt-anyone's-feelings world.

If there is anything I have learned, it's that 1) never give rude patients something to push back against (e.g. more rudeness), and 2) make sure you are RIGHT before you correct someone.

I agree with the whole premise of this post but see how long you have a job if you try to get "respect". As long as we are dependent we will have to suck it up say yes sir and kiss A*S! other wise send out your resume. Sad scenario but true. It is easy to be a Monday quarterback because it doesn't effect "YOU". Reality is quite different. IMHO

sometimes you have to put on your b*tch face and firmly/politely put people in their place. I'm generally a nice/easy going person but occasionally have to be.. "firm" if I feel disrespected or if pt care is in jeopardy! If you know your stuff, your SPs should support you. My SPs have my back if there is a (rare) situation with a patient/nurse/consultant etc. I would never work in an environment where they dont. I might "just" be a PA but numbers show I'm one of the most productive in the practice (most PAs are!)... I won't tolerate being disrespected...no one should!

Some jobs are more "dependent" than others. at my new job I will work solo and will never see my CP of record or interact with other physicians in person in real time, except when getting a consult over the phone. at my favorite per diem job there is no chart review and I work solo. I will never work another job again where I am a "dependent provider" .

Respect is a two way street - if you want/expect it, you have to earn it.  There are a few folks out there in the past and present that seem to think that because I'm military, I'll automatically defer to them...what they forget is that I had actual LEGAL obligations regarding respect of RANK/POSITION, not of respect of the actual PERSON holding said rank or position.  I've held as many bosses in total disrespect as I've held in respect, because of the way they led and treated their subordinates.  It's pretty hard to respect someone who blames their shortcomings on everyone around them, is a crappy teacher, is indecisive and doesn't respect your training, experience and knowledge...and that makes for a long, crappy shift if you're working with someone like that.  It's also dangerous - if you're disrespecting folks, they're not going to back you up when you need it most, since people don't feel like helping you if they think they're going to wear it if something goes wrong.

SK

Today, working in the ICU, I witnessed my SP and an Anesthesiologist disparaging a CRNA in the hospital. From the conversation, which was audible to everyone at the nurses station, it seemed the Anesthesiologist couldn't get along with the CRNA. Now, a professional physician would have spoken privately to his CRNA colleague in order to improve the relationship. Instead, this doctor enjoyed making derogatory remarks like "she needs to work someplace where she can get smacked around" and "she doesn't know what she doesn't know." Then my SP said that attendings need to "smack people around." Now, there may have been an issue about competency or processes or communication. Any of those things would be a legitimate reason for initiating a private, mutually respectful discussion as colleagues. That isn't how things operate at this hospital. Hence, disrespect predominates.

I do believe though that people who behave badly as my SP and this Anesthesiologist did, will eventually meet their end professionally speaking. When I was a PA student, I had an Physician (Hospitalist) for six weeks who supervised my rotation. Everybody he worked with in the hospital was either "an idiot" or "stupid." To hear him tell it, he was the only competent physician in the hospital. He also caught a very high number of patient complaints during the rotation. After I graduated, he left. He stayed one year at the next gig and left. Some places just don't tolerate disruptive providers. 

Archived