I Got Fired Again

Maybe consider applying for a residency program so that you know for a fact you're going to be in a learning environment where the goal is to train you to become a great provider. A lot of my preceptors say that a good PA out of school will spend the first three months pretty much seeing patients with the physician to get the flow of the office, what the physician likes to prescribe, what type of conditions you'll commonly see, etc.  They said it helps with your autonomy because as you see patients and something questionable comes up, you pretty much already know what you're collaborating physician will say or do in a situation. 

Are any other students from your program having similar issues? I'm still a student so take that it with a grain of salt. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Maybe consider applying for a residency program so that you know for a fact you're going to be in a learning environment where the goal is to train you to become a great provider. A lot of my preceptors say that a good PA out of school will spend the first three months pretty much seeing patients with the physician to get the flow of the office, what the physician likes to prescribe, what type of conditions you'll commonly see, etc.  They said it helps with your autonomy because as you see patients and something questionable comes up, you pretty much already know what you're collaborating physician will say or do in a situation. 

Are any other students from your program having similar issues? I'm still a student so take that it with a grain of salt. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

I wouldn't say you're screwed completely. I don't know you or why you've been fired twice in less than 6mo but cut yourself a break, you've been left in the dark twice. Have you ever considered maybe locums work? Are you working in primary care or another specialty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try not to flood your mind with these types of things. Think back to why you became a PA in the first place, what it meant to you.....

What were you good at in school? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Build yourself back up from there. It doesn't mean losing the PA profession. Just changing it up.

And I think a residency program might be good!

Try not to flood your mind with these types of things. Think back to why you became a PA in the first place, what it meant to you.....

What were you good at in school? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Build yourself back up from there. It doesn't mean losing the PA profession. Just changing it up.

And I think a residency program might be good!

Have you considered running a background check/employment check on yourself. There are some companies out there that will do this and it might turn up some surprising results. Identity theft, incorrect credit reports, incorrect arrest records, a negative reference somewhere along the way, all could be causing some of these issues. My two cents on the issue.

Have you considered running a background check/employment check on yourself. There are some companies out there that will do this and it might turn up some surprising results. Identity theft, incorrect credit reports, incorrect arrest records, a negative reference somewhere along the way, all could be causing some of these issues. My two cents on the issue.

I agree: this office manager is out of control. Stuff like this is why I don't mind working for mammoth multi-specialty groups and HMOs/ PPO's/ whatever we are. If you can, maybe consider your next target being a bigger group, with a few locations and a whole range of specialties. There can still be HR tyrants and puffed-up administrators in those groups, but there's better chance of being balanced by management higher-ups who sort of understand that the providers are the key to revenue, so they need protecting.

As to your question, I got a payout once. My first gig out of school was a hospitalist group. I interviewed a month or so before graduation, and they were all excited about making me an unofficial resident and taking on a teaching/ training vibe. We never got anything nailed down in a contract, but they swore there would be some dedicated teaching time and lots of mentoring.

By the time credentialing came through that fall, their census had gone way up, and they just didn't have the time. I had a healthy respect for my own limits, and a desire to push them without breaking myself, or any of the patients - my 15 different bosses came to see me as dragging my feet, being too timid, or just not knowing stuff. Keep in mind, there was a 90-day no-fault clause in the contract, so I thought long and hard about just bailing out but decided to stick with it, and meanwhile they didn't say anything so I reasoned that it must not have been that bad.

At about day 100, they sat me down and we talked about what I needed. I was happy because they were finally acting like mentors; it turns out that what we were doing was actually having the HR-required meeting to address my deficiencies and get me on an improvement plan (and cover their butts in the event I wanted to bring a wrongful termination action). 3 weeks after that meeting, with me feeling like maybe this would become a decent job in another 3 or 6 months, I get asked to go across the street to the admin offices at the end of the day.

Same thing: not a good fit, totally mutual, but it's just not working out and we won't require your services. I felt awful.

Then they handed me a check for THREE MONTHS PAY.

I suddenly felt a little better.

I stayed home with my infant all summer, and found a new job a few months later. One of the HR people at a different health system, upon hearing the highlights of my story, said "Ohhh. That group. Yeah, they do that." Apparently they were famous at the time for changing direction, picking a new strategy or goal, and forgetting to mention it to employees.

They would have saved a pile of money if they just let me go during the 90-day window, but I'm convinced that either a) there was a schism among the docs about how useless I was vs how badly they had handled things, or else b) they seriously forgot about the no-fault period. Either way, they were stupid and I got over it.

Don't make decisions while the wound is still fresh. Save most of their money, and spend a little on yourself. It's a good week to marathon a Netflix series, or tackle a thick book. If video games are your thing, go get No Man's Sky. Get lost for a few days. Come back and plan your next moves after that.

I agree: this office manager is out of control. Stuff like this is why I don't mind working for mammoth multi-specialty groups and HMOs/ PPO's/ whatever we are. If you can, maybe consider your next target being a bigger group, with a few locations and a whole range of specialties. There can still be HR tyrants and puffed-up administrators in those groups, but there's better chance of being balanced by management higher-ups who sort of understand that the providers are the key to revenue, so they need protecting.

As to your question, I got a payout once. My first gig out of school was a hospitalist group. I interviewed a month or so before graduation, and they were all excited about making me an unofficial resident and taking on a teaching/ training vibe. We never got anything nailed down in a contract, but they swore there would be some dedicated teaching time and lots of mentoring.

By the time credentialing came through that fall, their census had gone way up, and they just didn't have the time. I had a healthy respect for my own limits, and a desire to push them without breaking myself, or any of the patients - my 15 different bosses came to see me as dragging my feet, being too timid, or just not knowing stuff. Keep in mind, there was a 90-day no-fault clause in the contract, so I thought long and hard about just bailing out but decided to stick with it, and meanwhile they didn't say anything so I reasoned that it must not have been that bad.

At about day 100, they sat me down and we talked about what I needed. I was happy because they were finally acting like mentors; it turns out that what we were doing was actually having the HR-required meeting to address my deficiencies and get me on an improvement plan (and cover their butts in the event I wanted to bring a wrongful termination action). 3 weeks after that meeting, with me feeling like maybe this would become a decent job in another 3 or 6 months, I get asked to go across the street to the admin offices at the end of the day.

Same thing: not a good fit, totally mutual, but it's just not working out and we won't require your services. I felt awful.

Then they handed me a check for THREE MONTHS PAY.

I suddenly felt a little better.

I stayed home with my infant all summer, and found a new job a few months later. One of the HR people at a different health system, upon hearing the highlights of my story, said "Ohhh. That group. Yeah, they do that." Apparently they were famous at the time for changing direction, picking a new strategy or goal, and forgetting to mention it to employees.

They would have saved a pile of money if they just let me go during the 90-day window, but I'm convinced that either a) there was a schism among the docs about how useless I was vs how badly they had handled things, or else b) they seriously forgot about the no-fault period. Either way, they were stupid and I got over it.

Don't make decisions while the wound is still fresh. Save most of their money, and spend a little on yourself. It's a good week to marathon a Netflix series, or tackle a thick book. If video games are your thing, go get No Man's Sky. Get lost for a few days. Come back and plan your next moves after that.

Thank you so much for this response!

It's definitely great to hear that other people have gone through something similar.

It makes me think of my friends from PA school that I lost contact with. I had one that I was talking to regularly and he was having some issues with his job last time I spoke with him. They seemed minor. Then he literally disappeared off the face of the planet. Deleted his Facebook and Linkedin and everything. That was 3 years ago and not a peep since. I honestly wonder if the guy is even still alive.

This employer sounds out of control and without a freaking clue.

I have never heard of someone being "fired" by the risk management or malpractice recommendation. 

Doesn't sound like a good business practice or even remotely ethical.

If they "downsize" based on census then let's call it a lay off and put you on hiatus and bring you back if business picks up - that sounds more logical.

But, now that you have met and been involved with these folks - RUN - move forward or move to another state and make a fresh start.

I can't believe some folks think they can run a practice or business with this kind of mindset and behavior.

Never cease to be amazed.....

Archived