Hello! I'm a rising senior in high school, and the ELMPA program at Quinnipiac is definitely my top choice as of right now. I heard that they accept only 25 of the 800 applicants they received last year, so I'm trying to get some help to maximize my chances of getting into their program. My gpa right now is 4.27 weighted, and I am within the top 5% of the class rank. I have volunteered at a hospital and have accumulated around 300 hours and counting. I have also participated in various programs that have to do with health care, and other community/social organizations. I also take additional college classes afterschool. However, my sat and act scores are average (1090/1600-sat, 23/36-act) but I plan on retaking them when fall season rolls around. Do any current ELMPA students from Quinnipiac or other colleges think I have a chance of getting in? If not, what are some things I can do to improve myself? I thank you all in advance!

You need paid HCE outside of high school.

Having interviewed at Quinnipiac, I can tell you the cohort was mostly older, mid-career students with paid HCE hours in the 10s of 1000s.  My application cohorts were around 25-35 mostly.

It would behoove you to understand that the PA applicant pool is just as competitive as many medical schools...I'm talking schools like Mayo.  I believe, according to a back of the napkin calculation, that the class prior to my application cycle at Quinn had an acceptance rate of less than 4%.  That number is jaw-dropping, and a testament to how crowded the application cycle is.  I graduated with a science degree within the top 10% of my class, have 1000s of hours experience as a combat medic, and was denied across the board - each school sent a rejection letter stating there simply isn't enough space for all the qualified applicants, though admittedly I could be just an average applicant or could have completely blown the interviews.

The PA profession was created to make mid-level practitioners out of combat medics with a wealth of medical experience and know-how - this has mostly carried over to today.  Without paid HCE, you aren't going to get into a program like Quinn.  On a positive note, you may have better luck with a school like Western U, which takes applicants who have no HCE at all.

Another idea - if you are such an excellent student, have you considered medical school? 

Archived