Schools with provisional and probation accreditation

Hello I just wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts on schools that are provisional and on probation.  

I was wondering if I get into a program such as this... does that mean that if they don't attain their accreditation status before i graduate, all the work you do is for nothing?  Does anyone have experience or insight into this situation?

Hello I just wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts on schools that are provisional and on probation.  

I was wondering if I get into a program such as this... does that mean that if they don't attain their accreditation status before i graduate, all the work you do is for nothing?  Does anyone have experience or insight into this situation?

Sorry that I can't provide more concrete information, however:

I know of one friend who attended a program in Florida that actually lost its accreditation. Students that still had a year of their program left were divided up between 2 other PA programs within the state. That equated to them basically just doing their clinical year under the direction and advisement of a new school, and their degree was awarded by that school. 

I don't know if that's what usually happens... or if that's the best case scenario. 

Probation and provisional are still accredited programs (almost like a subtype of accreditation). As long as the program is accredited (continued, provisional, probation) upon when you matriculate (the first day you walk into class), you are eligible to sit for the PANCE. 

Now that is not to say a program on probation or a provisional school won't have their own growing pains or changes happening but that has nothing to do with your eligibility to take your boards.

Probation and provisional are still accredited programs (almost like a subtype of accreditation). As long as the program is accredited (continued, provisional, probation) upon when you matriculate (the first day you walk into class), you are eligible to sit for the PANCE. 

Now that is not to say a program on probation or a provisional school won't have their own growing pains or changes happening but that has nothing to do with your eligibility to take your boards.

^^This is the best answer you'll get.  If it's accredited (regular, provisional, probational) when you start, you're fine.  ARC-PA isn't in the business of leaving students out on the street through no fault of their own because a program couldn't hack it.

I'll add that provisional means it's a new program that has never attained fully accredited status before.  That's not to say it's bad, just that it's new.  Probational status is personally a more concerning thing in my opinion because it means they've likely got some glaring issues that need to be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Above comments put it well. If you graduate, sit for the PANCE, pass, and become a PA it doesn't matter what the accreditation status was as long as the program was accredited. Here is how Arc-pa.org explains it:

"Provisional accreditation is an active accreditation status. Prior to 2003, those graduating from a PA program that held an active accreditation status at any time during the student’s enrollment were considered graduates of an accredited program and thus were eligible to sit for the NCCPA exam. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria." ("Student Questions ARC-PA")

"Probationary accreditation is a temporary status of accreditation granted when a program does not meet the Standards and when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened. Programs with probationary accreditation are still considered accredited. ... If the program remains on probation or is removed from probation by the time of your graduation, you would be graduating from an accredited program. In the past, the NCCPA allowed graduates to sit for the PANCE exam as long as the program from which they graduated was accredited at any point during the students’ enrollment. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria." ("Student Questions ARC-PA")

http://www.arc-pa.org/frequently-asked-questions/student-questions/

I would be hesitant to apply to a school on probational status unless I knew a little more about it. This is simply because I have heard too many of the horror stories of programs on accreditation-probation status losing accreditation and students who already completed one year often wait to try to be placed in other programs elsewhere in the state, and sometimes have to repeat their didactic year. UMES' PA program lost its accreditation status in 2015 I believe, and with only 2 other schools in Maryland, I am sure this was not too easy to work out. Here is an interesting article about how the Towson/CCBC program was accepting some UMES students. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/maryland/2016/01/26/umes-physician-assistant-program/79186010/

Again, Accreditation status changes often and if you want to apply to a school on a probationary status do your research on why the school is on the probationary status, when there next review is, etc. While I would stay away from a school with accreditation-probation status, it may be someone's dream school, so just be careful and smart when it comes to choosing the school right for you!

Provisional is not usually a major grounds for concern. After all, every program was provisional at one point. You should still investigate the program carefully, and try to determine if it has reasonable resources for the size of the cohort they are seating. Classroom space? Enough faculty? Clinical sites?

Even probationary status may not be a big deal. A program can be on "administrative probation" for simply submitting paperwork late. If you look at program websites, you will find that some programs choose to post a lot of info related to the circumstances leading to the probationary status and plans related to their remediation process. A school that is this open is probably not very concerning (although that is for you to judge).

• 2 weeks later...

Can go to ARC-PA site and read about actions from last commission meeting that may have placed program on probation. Then can query program about how they are addressing those deficits. Any program that is dodging those questions should raise a red flag. Next, the real important consideration is how the sponsoring institution did not support the program in maintaining standards to meet accreditation? The program is only as strong as the college or university it is associated with. Last, just because a program may be accredited for the next ten years does not equal no worries. There are plenty of interim triggers that can warrant a reconsider of that status. This can be a PANCE pass rate that falls to a reported lack of clinical sites to reduced funding by the sponsoring institution.
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived