Has anyone NOT had crazy hours during their clinical year?

I was at a PA school interview and the interviewees were talking with 2nd year students. The 2nd years were on their second rotation and one of them was saying how on her family medicine rotation her preceptor was a mother who only worked three 10s and took a few of those days off too. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Do the PA schools know about this and think it's okay? The 2nd year student was saying it was great because she has a family and kids herself who she spent time with and did a lot of didactic studying since she wasn't working as much. I would be concerned that I wasn't learning everything I should be, but I am a 22 yo and prepared/expecting to be working my butt of clinical year.

My clinical coordinator has told us there will be rotations that involve more/less "at work" time commitment, and for whatever reason she always uses the FM rotation as her example of one where a student might have more "home time". I don't think that implies anything negative about the rotation. The demands of each specialty differ, and by the time you're a 2nd year you will know how much effort you need to put in on your own to learn the material and make yourself competent. That said, if this student is claiming she's only at the clinic one day per week of a 6 week rotation, I doubt any PA school is going to be okay with it. They may have known the preceptor was part-time (the quality of rotations can vary widely from school to school), but I don't believe what you've described is sufficient to become competent, no matter how much "didactic studying" she does at home.

But, don't judge her too harshly for enjoying a less intense rotation. She may have been exaggerating how much free time she has because she thought it would sound good to you. I'll tell you right now, halfway through my winter quarter didactic, if someone gave me an easier test on urology next week I would not be on here complaining about how I'm not "learning everything I should be". I would be breathing a sigh of relief because everyone needs a mental moment from time to time, and it wouldn't mean that I'm not working hard.

Don't worry, you will have other rotations where you put in 10-12 hours 5 days a week and not get the studying done you wish you were... on your slower rotations, it is a good time to study the material you feel like you need to put more time in on... Review the PANCE blueprint before you start your clinical rotations, because that will give you an idea of how you should use your extra study time beyond the studying you do for your rotations....

• Administrator

I've worked 80 hour weeks on my gen surg and inpatient rotations, and I worked 3x10s last week with the 2nd as a holiday at my family medicine rotation. It all does tend to even out. I like the fact my current rotation is 4x10s, because I need to get my teeth cleaned and new contacts. Working 12s (4 on, 4 off) is also fine, but I start to feel like a zombie by the end of 8 12s in a row. On the plus side, I do use the "off" days to take other certification courses (e.g., PALS, ABLS) that I couldn't get in a typical weekend.

Just get into school, theres plenty of stuff you wont be able to completely learn...there will be days you get 8 hours a day and then there will be days you will want to kill your attendings, Residents, med students etc because you just spent 15 hours on a shift with them and your next shift starts in 4 hours

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Just get into school, theres plenty of stuff you wont be able to completely learn...there will be days you get 8 hours a day and then there will be days you will want to kill your attendings, Residents, med students etc because you just spent 15 hours on a shift with them and your next shift starts in 4 hours

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Very true, and every rotation is different. My FM I worked 12 hour days mon-fri. My ER rotation only 3 12's a week. That was a cake walk compared to FM.

crazy hours as student???? how about this as PA

work every day 24 hours for 4 straight days--includes patients, lab, pharmacy etc, er you name it.

hth

peter

i dont think surgical residents take any time off for 4 years

hth

peter

If you worked 96 hours in a row, then please tell me where you are a provider so I can never go there. I'm all for training on 30 hour shifts to teach how to work tired, but what you describe shows complete disregard for safety. Though it explains your grammar in all your posts.

crazy hours as student???? how about this as PA

work every day 24 hours for 4 straight days--includes patients, lab, pharmacy etc, er you name it.

hth

peter

i dont think surgical residents take any time off for 4 years

hth

peter

If you worked 96 hours in a row, then please tell me where you are a provider so I can never go there. I'm all for training on 30 hour shifts to teach how to work tired, but what you describe shows complete disregard for safety. Though it explains your grammar in all your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't so far. I'm 5 rotations in (including surgery) and I haven't worked more than 12 hours in a row. In surgery, my hours were 8-12 hours, 5 days a week with no weekends. I have had some 70 hour weeks in Emed though, which wasn't bad since Emed is awesome!

So anything is possible! ;)

It should be noted, though, that I haven't had OBGYN yet...and I've heard that there are select OB rotations with really bad hours. So it's possible that this may change.

Archived