Supervision and Hiring for PAs

I'm a student in the Pacific Northwest who will graduate from MEDEX in August, 2016.  I've begun the job search, and had the opportunity to shadow in my dream clinic a few weeks ago.  Excellent underserved/Latino focus with integrated behavioral health, pleasant work environment, respectable compensation, eligibility for loan repayment, etc...

I met with the director of the clinic, and felt we had an excellent rapport.  He tends to advertise for and hire for nurse practitioners, but is open to taking on a PA with the right qualifications.  There were four NPs working that day, and no PAs.  I asked him why he doesn't hire more PAs, and he said he believed the paperwork for hiring and supervising PAs in Washington State is too complicated and onerous.  He even said he wanted to lobby the state legislature to change policy.

I feel it's possible he was misinformed, and I still plan to apply to that clinic.  But this hurdle sort of puts me at a disadvantage vs. NPs from the beginning.  It also seems to be a common misconception about PAs.  Does anyone have some good pre-articulated responses to the belief that PA paperwork is cumbersome?

Joshua

Guest Paula

I have no pre-articulated responses to the belief that the paperwork is cumbersome.  You could ask him for an example of what the paperwork is exactly?  Is it with credentialing for insurance companies? is it the state law?

I would certainly go to the state PA chapter and ask them what type of paperwork is needed for hiring and supervising?  Have you looked at the law yourself yet?

He must be misinformed. In Washington state, it is a piece of cake. I have always done the paper work for my employer (or myself when I was the owner).  It takes 10 minutes (supervisory agreement). If you will not have your certification by the time you start employment, it is a bit more complicated as you will have to apply as a "PA" and not a "PA-C."  Not being a PA-C requires more supervision, including some chart reviewing (I believe).

Sometimes I think that NPs promote this type of misunderstanding.

• 8 months later...

Ultimately, I ended up working somewhere else.  Larger clinic system.  Not as much underserved, although there are ways you can identify unmet medical needs and social issues affecting care in any setting.  I am happy with my new job.

I wouldn't worry about not treating enough "underserved." You'll be sick of the underserved in two years and ready to get paid what you are worth. I used to have a passion to help poor folk. After two years, I realized that most are manipulating the system and could very well get a job. They choose to be poor and siphon off money from society. I know it sounds harsh but mostly true. People should pay for health care. I advocate the direct pay primary care model. Cash on delivery. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about not treating enough "underserved." You'll be sick of the underserved in two years and ready to get paid what you are worth. I used to have a passion to help poor folk. After two years, I realized that most are manipulating the system and could very well get a job. They choose to be poor and siphon off money from society. I know it sounds harsh but mostly true. People should pay for health care. I advocate the direct pay primary care model. Cash on delivery. 

Black outlook, man.  If you're trolling, go get a second job.  You've got too much time on your hands.  If you seriously mean it, go find a puppy to hug.

Dentist require cash on delivery. Why is that not a "black outlook?" The direct pay primary care model is rapidly growing. Insurance companies are fighting it because they get left out of the transaction. When insurance companies are involved, the provider loses. So cut the insurance company out, demand cash on delivery and get paid what you are worth. The only thing keeping us from growing this model is the fact we cannot operate our own practices. Doctors and NPs are doing it though and getting paid handsomely.

My second argument is that poverty is an artificial invention. Poverty is created by large corporations who benefit from government tipping the scales so markets don't operate freely and without restriction. In jlumsden's neck of the woods, there is a large Latino population in Washington. Why are they there and why are they "underserved?" The answer is that large corporations have orchards for mostly apples but also hops. They need water and cheap labor and markets that are not free to compete. The federal government provides the water via special water projects to irrigate the desert. The labor is supplied from south of the border at wages no citizen would work for. The jobs are provided without health care benefits. Congress has imposed tariffs on imports of cheap apples from China so American corporate markets and profits are protected. Thus, I cannot see myself helping the underserved for a problem created by the government and corporations. The winners here are Congress and corporations.

People need to look at the big picture. Let the underserved pay the real cost of health care. If they did, they would not emigrate for these jobs that are substandard. Corporations would be starved of a labor source and forced to compete in unprotected markets. Every time a PA helps a Latino family, they merely make the corporate apple grower a little richer. 

I have no pre-articulated responses to the belief that the paperwork is cumbersome.  You could ask him for an example of what the paperwork is exactly?  Is it with credentialing for insurance companies? is it the state law?

I would certainly go to the state PA chapter and ask them what type of paperwork is needed for hiring and supervising?  Have you looked at the law yourself yet?

I agree with this statement, and the final question that Paula raises.  Over the years I've begun to see more and more questions regarding rules/regulations in different states and my response would always be the same.  Read the regulations and don't depend on an employer to keep you in the know.  Many have no clue, including the SUPERVISING PHYSICIANS.

Archived