How to get out of a non-compete clause? Urgent!

If anyone has experience with non-competes, please privately message me. I am in a horrible predicament in my current position right now. I signed a 1 year contract with vague terms, and it does have a non-compete clause of not being able to practice in my speciality within a 20 mile radius for 2 years. I've already done the stupid thing and signed the contract...but did not anticipate I would want to leave before 90 days of starting the position. My benefits haven't even started at this point, but I want to leave because the job seems unstable. The environment is not what I expected. 

I am in a precarious position and do not have the luxury of just quitting my job or joining another speciality at this point, because all I know is dermatology. I also have no choice, because I need to find a job locally due to family. I need to line up another job ASAP, but do not want to create a legal fiasco by leaving. 

The matter is urgent, so please advise. 

• Administrator

You don't need us, you need legal counsel.

This.  If you can post which state you're in, maybe someone can recommend one, but you need to pay a real professional licensed to practice law in your state who specializes in employment law, not us often clueless but generally well meaning Internet folks.

Yes, exactly. Your actual question is "how do I get out of this contract I signed?" and that is very much a question for an attorney well-versed in employment contracts for health care providers. Start with your state's Bar Association if you're lacking for ideas about where and how to find someone like that.

If anyone has experience with non-competes, please privately message me. I am in a horrible predicament in my current position right now. I signed a 1 year contract with vague terms, and it does have a non-compete clause of not being able to practice in my speciality within a 20 mile radius for 2 years. I've already done the stupid thing and signed the contract...but did not anticipate I would want to leave before 90 days of starting the position. My benefits haven't even started at this point, but I want to leave because the job seems unstable. The environment is not what I expected.

I am in a precarious position and do not have the luxury of just quitting my job or joining another speciality at this point, because all I know is dermatology. I also have no choice, because I need to find a job locally due to family. I need to line up another job ASAP, but do not want to create a legal fiasco by leaving.

The matter is urgent, so please advise.

Try military, they might be able to do something for you. Just saying. Not entirely sure about that tho! But, you'll never know it might work out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Try military, they might be able to do something for you. Just saying. Not entirely sure about that tho! But, you'll never know it might work out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The military seems like a bad place for a person who urgently needs to get out of an agreement 25% of the way through. Uncle Sam's contracts tend to be a little more restrictive...and more likely to end up in a job that's not as expected. 

Archived