Laptop/Tablet Questions

The school I will be attending has a laptop requirement but it's pretty broad and anything from a Windows laptop to an iPad mini is OK to them. I wondered if any find it annoying to have a smaller screen(Surface tablet or iPad) and if a larger screen is ideal since you're using it so much. Also, do you ever really have need for your laptop while in clinical rotations?

I ask these questions because I want to get a surface pro 3 but wonder if I'll prefer a larger screen size during didactic year or will want the portability for the clinical year.

I've found that it's all a matter of what you're used to. If you're comfortable typing quickly on a small keyboard and your eyes adjust well to the small screen, the iPad mini is a great option. I love mine because it fits perfectly in my white coat. I upload all of my notes on Google Drive then load it with a bunch of apps and books for resources throughout rotations.

I guess there are many ways to do it, but I would get a lap top that is compatible with onenote. Maybe they all are? Idk. But uploading powerpoints to onenote allows you to take notes efficiently. If you're not familiar with onenote I would look into it a little bit. I find it super helpful and the majority of our class uses this. Then you can save them to one drive so nothing gets lost if your *shutter* computer decides it's had enough. Also, you can then dl onenote as an app on your phone, ect to view your notes from another device.

As far as rotations, you can probably use pocketbook resources along with apps like epocrates and uptodate which we get through the school. And if you have onenote dl'ed to your phone it's at your fingertips too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator

I really like a keyboard, but I'm an old fogie who actually touch types, rather than texts, on a regular basis.

I still am VERY happy with my MacBook pro choice, now six years on.  On clinical rotations, I never needed to take it to the site and never did, but I DID use it at the end of the day to enter my patients into Typhon.

I'm partial to the big screens, and honestly don't understand why anyone would want it any other way. I often need multiple windows open when I'm working and the big screen makes a difference. Tiny computers are great when you have to constantly move from place to place, but you generally only need to carry your computer to school at the beginning of the day and from school at the end. If your shoulders can't handle a ten pound weight you got bigger problems.

During most lectures, I have between 2 and 4 screens open. And we're either in class or studying 12+ hours a day. I just upgraded from a cheepie netbook to a 2-in-1 because I was so frustrated with that damn thing. Depends on how you study, your laptop / ipad needs to be able to handle A LOT. 

I used a surface pro (the first generation) during school and loved it. (disclaimer, I am not a Mac person). I used onenote to upload my powerpoints and then used the stylus to draw and take notes on them. Plus since onenote is available across all platforms I could pull it up on my phone to review notes. Some of my classmates would take their tablets (ipad mini) to clinicals but for my my phone worked just as well. Has all the programs you need to look stuff up quick. Plus the surface pro is fast and reliable (don't get the regular surface though, that thing is slow and crappy. make sure it is the surface pro).

Our school mandated we have an iPad AIR 2

I use both my iPad and macbook and love both

Ipad:

follow lectures using the notability app

macbook with keyboard case by intel

Type up lectures onto a review guide in word

of course il sometimes use the iPad for word and macbook for notability

they are both great.

• 4 weeks later...

I loved having a laptop for the keyboard and the large screen. I often split my screen in half so I could be doing work on one side and research on the other side. It's like having a book open in front of me. I never used my laptop on rotations. However, if you like tablets and are comfortable using them then go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Check and see what LMS system (Blackboard, Canvas, etc) your school uses.  Then go to the website and find the location where they talk about the 'tech' stuff and make sure whatever you purchase meets those requirements.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and it does NOT play FLASH files so when I tried to use it while finishing up my pre-reqs, I wasn't able to watch some videos.  That really sucked!!!!  Had I looked at the school requirements, or gone to the Blackboard site to look at the specs, I would have known it wasn't compatible.  I was able to get most of what I needed but when something really mattered, I had to use my laptop.

I have a PC on my desk for some things. A typical large (Samsung) laptop on a side desk (for some other things) but my main computer is a Surface Pro. I've used a Surface Pro since they came on the market 3-4 years ago. The small size, touch screen and etc. make it my number one electronic device. I save everything to my Onedrive, so I can access them from each device.

Archived