Words of wisdom from a PA Student for anyone between the fence-

Very valid points. I'd like to just add my 2 cents. I recently approached one of the ER MDs that I work with and they gave me so many reasons to why I should definitely pursue PA school and not MD/DO. Medicine has changed and no longer what it used to be. They even added if they had a child who was interested in medicine, they would encourage them to stay away from medical school because it's just not worth it. Keep in mind... You'll also here the opposite from other PAs and physicians. It goes to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side... Because if it is, it's more than likely fake.

Newton, thank you. I agree that the on the job learning takes time, just like it does for residents.

Diggy, I've heard that many times as well and it does scare me. I'm definitely afraid to become like that if I do go down that road. On the other hand, every PA I've met has loved it. But there are also plenty of PAs who end up going back to med school. It's such a personal decision that I feel like most of us won't know for sure until it's too late.

I think what's important in deciding MD vs PA is to be able to accept the negatives of each profession. For PA, people usually reference the lack of respect, lack of autonomy, not the boss, and low income ceiling as the negatives. You just gotta be able to accept these negatives before going into the PA profession regardless of rather it will apply to you or not. You might never experience the negative who knows. 

It's definitely a tough choice. I think you should go to medical school for the knowledge you desire as long as you're willing to sacrifice your 20s and early 30s. Really understand what the sacrifices are explicitly. 

I'm so tired of reading this argument. Like if it's so bad then let's just abolish this dam profession and make everybody who wants to be a provider go to medical school. I feel like people who make this argument think once youre a PA, youre a PA for life and can't do anything else. If I hate being a PA so much in 10 years then I'll quit and do something else. God forbid I have a career change. 

Exactly. Unlike as a physician....good luck with that career change after 8+ years post graduate and a ton of loan interest......

I think another interesting point would be to compare the job satisfaction between both PAs and MD/DO. 

I think what's important in deciding MD vs PA is to be able to accept the negatives of each profession. For PA, people usually reference the lack of respect, lack of autonomy, not the boss, and low income ceiling as the negatives. You just gotta be able to accept these negatives before going into the PA profession regardless of rather it will apply to you or not. You might never experience the negative who knows. 

It's definitely a tough choice. I think you should go to medical school for the knowledge you desire as long as you're willing to sacrifice your 20s and early 30s. Really understand what the sacrifices are explicitly. 

A big reason I didn't want to do med school anymore was the sacrifice of all my time in my 20s and early 30s and the grueling hours that I'll have to put in. But now more recently I think that...well, I'm not married and have no kids. There's nothing really holding me back.

I bet I'll be regretting it when I'm studying in a library and I see my PA friends already working and making good money in their mid 20s.

Maybe I should flip a coin...........just kidding :)

You're right. A little too harsh. Sorry. There are just so, so many applicants that pour their blood, sweat, and tears into their dream only to fall short and not get in because there's not many seats.

OP - if it's not for you, it's probably best to decide sooner than later, so it's good you are evaluating it. At this point you're not too far into the woods.

Nobody is in the woods in their 20s so...

If you don't want to be a PA more than anything else, then the right answer here is to do something else.

I busted my butt doing everything that I needed to do to get in. I flew all over the country interviewing off of my CNA salary.. It wasn't until December when I was invited to an interview in my home state and by the grace of God and my own persistence, I was accepted. 

My point is.. If I hadn't gotten into school, then I would hate someone like you who is literally just "testing the waters" and taking up a seat that could've been mine in the program. People who go to PA school do it because they are serious and want to be a PA. Those are the people that the PA profession wants.

If you don't want to be a PA more than anything else, then the right answer here is to do something else.

If you are basing this answer off your following two paragraphs, I would suggest that you are in the wrong.  Accepting that individuals may have choices and advantages that you do not is a part of life.  Many people express your exact sentiments, but I find them inappropriate.

A big reason I didn't want to do med school anymore was the sacrifice of all my time in my 20s and early 30s and the grueling hours that I'll have to put in. But now more recently I think that...well, I'm not married and have no kids. There's nothing really holding me back.

I bet I'll be regretting it when I'm studying in a library and I see my PA friends already working and making good money in their mid 20s. But I'm thinking about longevity here - many people say a physician has it better in the long run with the autonomy, respect, and salary.

Maybe I should flip a coin...........just kidding :)

Interesting read about the job satisfaction among physicians. 

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806779-overview

If you are basing this answer off your following two paragraphs, I would suggest that you are in the wrong.  Accepting that individuals may have choices and advantages that you do not is a part of life.  Many people express your exact sentiments, but I find them inappropriate.

I have plenty of advantages and I accept people will have more than me -- I was simply stating that I worked hard and I'm getting into a career that I LOVE directly out of college. I find that to be an achievement. 

You missed the point of my post entirely -- There are only a set amount of seats each year for each program. With the exceeding demand for more healthcare providers, we can't have people in programs who aren't serious about the profession.

As someone on PA forums, I'm sure you'd want more respect, autonomy, and responsibility for this profession, which is a common theme that we all share. Do you think someone who wants to go to medical school right after PA school is going to make our profession look better or worse? I'm sure you can answer that for yourself. 

Interesting read about the job satisfaction among physicians. 

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/806779-overview

Thanks for the link. That is absolutely another factor I have thought about.

I'll admit, I'm still a little lost, though today I'm leaning more toward PA again. I feel like there's almost no going back if you are unhappy as a physician (because of those loans) but if you are unhappy as a PA, you have more options to change things.

"Update 5: I recently had the opportunity to speak to the daughter of the lady who was the dean of of my med school. She told me that her mom specifically forbid her from going into medicine. Did you get that? THE DEAN OF MY MED SCHOOL FORBID HER DAUGHTER FROM GOING TO MED SCHOOL. I don’t think there’s anything else that could validate my decision more. This means I win."

Wow!

"Update 5: I recently had the opportunity to speak to the daughter of the lady who was the dean of of my med school. She told me that her mom specifically forbid her from going into medicine. Did you get that? THE DEAN OF MY MED SCHOOL FORBID HER DAUGHTER FROM GOING TO MED SCHOOL. I don’t think there’s anything else that could validate my decision more. This means I win."

Wow!

Ha. I wish I had an interest in Wall Street or getting an MBA. I'd be banking.

I'm so tired of reading this argument. Like if it's so bad then let's just abolish this dam profession and make everybody who wants to be a provider go to medical school. I feel like people who make this argument think once youre a PA, youre a PA for life and can't do anything else. If I hate being a PA so much in 10 years then I'll quit and do something else. God forbid I have a career change. 

My comment had nothing to do with him being a PA in 10 years or the profession in general.  It had everything to do with the maturity level evident in his post.

Optimistic3,

If more knowledge is what you seek, don't forget that you can do more studying and research on your own in PA school or after you become a PA should you choose to go down that path. I've also read on here that there are some PAs who do a residency following graduation, so that's an option too.

I had a friend who's entire family was D.O. His father own his own practice and so did his brother. My friend ended up going D.O. as well. We were talking about that one day and he told me that with the new healthcare changes and policies, doctors nowadays are dealing more with the business and money aspect than they are with patients. I also shadowed an MD and a few PAs who have said the same thing. Obviously, PAs do paperwork, but it's paperwork pertaining to the patients, not insurance claims, so that's something to think about too.

Optimistic3,

If more knowledge is what you seek, don't forget that you can do more studying and research on your own in PA school or after you become a PA should you choose to go down that path. I've also read on here that there are some PAs who do a residency following graduation, so that's an option too.

I had a friend who's entire family was D.O. His father own his own practice and so did his brother. My friend ended up going D.O. as well. We were talking about that one day and he told me that with the new healthcare changes and policies, doctors nowadays are dealing more with the business and money aspect than they are with patients. I also shadowed an MD and a few PAs who have said the same thing. Obviously, PAs do paperwork, but it's paperwork pertaining to the patients, not insurance claims, so that's something to think about too.

Thank you. I need to keep in mind all the fantastic and very knowledgeable PAs who have treated me. There seem to be way more negatives than positives to med school and way more positives than negatives to PA school.

• 2 weeks later...

We all tend to think we are worth more than we are getting so it isn't surprising that some PAs are unhappy with their pay. My MD friends are very frustrated that they have to keep working harder for less and feel that they are being turned into mere technicians. All in all, it seems that the PA path is a good way to go for most who enter the profession. Plenty of job availability, though perhaps not in every area, very good pay in many specialties and job satisfaction seems to be above average. Most important is that what it takes to get into PA school, and what it takes to graduate and pass the PANCE and get certified, eliminates most of the losers and creates a high barrier to entry. Working conditions are good. Practice managers and patients can be a pain but, hey, nothing is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived