Words of wisdom from a PA Student for anyone between the fence-

Into my first semester. definitely a transition from undergrad.. but in the same sense, not really.

For everyone that is TORN between PA vs. Med

Here is what I have came to realize (or keep telling myself)

PROS:

1) I will be making close to/over 6 figures at the age of 24.

2) I get to wear a white coat and tell people I save lives (if I so choose EM), and can do anything a doctor can do within reasonable circumstances

3) Compared to a majority of educated 24-30 year olds across all career fields, I will have one of the highest salaries

4) Very flexible working hours/conditions compared to other careers

5) I get to make a genuine difference in the lives of others and be a (hopefully respected) educator about something I'm passionate about

6) with the increase in PA educational institutions, I can one day transition into teaching if i so choose while practicing, $$$$$

7) If i am frugal, I will graduate with 130k in debt from undergrad and PA school combined  and have it paid off in the first 4-5 years while still living nicely as a single bachelor (2-3 years if aggressive)

8) I will be 24 years old and be set for life in a stable career thats in demand for as far as humanity exists

CONS:

1) I have no MD/DO next to my name

- argument against the con:

Theres more to life than having a title. we are blobs of water on a planet made of stardust circling a giant ball of fire at unimaginable speeds and you're here for only so many years on earth, and you care about an intangible title? 

2) I will never make more than 160k a year probably

-argument against the con:

There are famous studies indicating that General happiness is not improved with salaries over 70-75k a year.

Think about it.. when you buy something new and fancy, how long does it satisfy your deep happiness for? 

In the grand scheme of your life, is there really a difference between an upper middle class car compared to a mercedes? Is it worth the years of high cortisol/stress/unhappyness, and arguably decreased lifespan/health to afford such material possessions?

Think about it.. when you make a close friend/ sexual relationship/Hobbies/are in good shape, how long does that satisfy your deep happiness for?

~~~~Procrastinating studying for my second micro exam~~~~

It's funny cuz we're in the same boat. I'll be out next year at 23. I've dwelled on the same situation from time to time, but I feel we have so much to look forward to and it's not all about having an MD title. Honestly I like the fact that by the time you're done you can start living your life, comfortably and immediately. I enjoy the fact that with being a PA, medicine isn't your whole life, but you can additionally delve into so many other options of life if you ever chose to. The financial security along with the flexibility is a deal breaker for me. I think that's where I'll be happiest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Into my first semester. definitely a transition from undergrad.. but in the same sense, not really.

For everyone that is TORN between PA vs. Med

Here is what I have came to realize (or keep telling myself)

PROS:

1) I will be making close to/over 6 figures at the age of 24.

2) I get to wear a white coat and tell people I save lives (if I so choose EM), and can do anything a doctor can do within reasonable circumstances

3) Compared to a majority of educated 24-30 year olds across all career fields, I will have one of the highest salaries

4) Very flexible working hours/conditions compared to other careers

5) I get to make a genuine difference in the lives of others and be a (hopefully respected) educator about something I'm passionate about

6) with the increase in PA educational institutions, I can one day transition into teaching if i so choose while practicing, $$$$$

7) If i am frugal, I will graduate with 130k in debt from undergrad and PA school combined and have it paid off in the first 4-5 years while still living nicely as a single bachelor (2-3 years if aggressive)

8) I will be 24 years old and be set for life in a stable career thats in demand for as far as humanity exists

CONS:

1) I have no MD/DO next to my name

- argument against the con:

Theres more to life than having a title. we are blobs of water on a planet made of stardust circling a giant ball of fire at unimaginable speeds and you're here for only so many years on earth, and you care about an intangible title?

2) I will never make more than 160k a year probably

-argument against the con:

There are famous studies indicating that General happiness is not improved with salaries over 70-75k a year.

Think about it.. when you buy something new and fancy, how long does it satisfy your deep happiness for?

In the grand scheme of your life, is there really a difference between an upper middle class car compared to a mercedes? Is it worth the years of high cortisol/stress/unhappyness, and arguably decreased lifespan/health to afford such material possessions?

Think about it.. when you make a close friend/ sexual relationship/Hobbies/are in good shape, how long does that satisfy your deep happiness for?

~~~~Procrastinating studying for my second micro exam~~~~

Glad you are satisfied with your excellent career choice and wish you a satisfying career and a happy life. I can tell you from experience, however, that it is great to have enough money to pay cash for the car you want, to never have to pinch pennies or to worry about paying for a child's education, a vacation, a mortgage payment or healthcare. Don't discount having lots of money. But, I agree, MD is not for everyone.

Today's healthcare and education system favors the PA profession more than MD profession in my opinion. When you factor in student loans vs. expected salary, number of potential lawsuits from anyone eager to sue someone with an MD title, time/flexibility afforded to us as mid-level practictioners and overall job satisfaction, the PA profession is one of the better healthcare careers you can have. The average MD isn't done with schooling until their 30s and is immediately having to pay back those ridiculous loans while being bogged done with an overwhelmingly amount of stress. I'll be 26, done with schooling, making over 6 figures with around $80k in debt total and can practice medicine with a level of respect and dignity that not every healthcare professional receives.

I would make the decision to pursue PA time and time again if given the opportunity and never think twice about it.

im with Max Pa on this one, but I'm going to try not to be super critical because I was 21 or 22 once before too.

You're right. A little too harsh. Sorry. There are just so, so many applicants that pour their blood, sweat, and tears into their dream only to fall short and not get in because there's not many seats.

OP - if it's not for you, it's probably best to decide sooner than later, so it's good you are evaluating it. At this point you're not too far into the woods.

Im a person first before my ca

Words of wisdom from a 2nd year student with 10 years of healthcare experience before PA school: If you care about any of those superficial things even close to as much as you care about #5, don't go into healthcare...there are enough greedy self-serving people in the field as it is...

Not ashamed I care about my general well being first before my career

Im a person first, professional second

It's much more difficult than undergrad.

J/c but what do you mean by "not really", is it not too much more difficult than undergrad?

Is the material more difficult? No

I would say that my genetics class and orgo class in college were far more cerebrally difficult than any of my PA Classes.

PA school is "more difficult" than undergrad, because instead of taking 12-17 credits a semester, you are taking 21-23.

The material is no harder than 200-300 level classes in my opinion. just A LOT OF IT.

I would compare PA school to finals week of college but every day, at first its stressful adjustment, but soon it becomes smooth because your new close friends (your peers) are all going through this together with you, so the struggle becomes the new norm and it is now no longer  a struggle, just a way of life. I still make time for the gym 2-4x a week and go out once a week usually.

Words of wisdom from a 2nd year student with 10 years of healthcare experience before PA school: If you care about any of those superficial things even close to as much as you care about #5, don't go into healthcare...there are enough greedy self-serving people in the field as it is...

Everybody is self-serving.

A person can go into medicine for the feeling of financial security. Or a person could go into medicine for the feeling of making a difference in one's life. Or both. Either way, they are doing it because it triggers some sort of positive response within themselves.

Is the material more difficult? No

I would say that my genetics class and orgo class in college were far more cerebrally difficult than any of my PA Classes.

PA school is "more difficult" than undergrad, because instead of taking 12-17 credits a semester, you are taking 21-23.

The material is no harder than 200-300 level classes in my opinion. just A LOT OF IT.

I would compare PA school to finals week of college but every day, at first its stressful adjustment, but soon it becomes smooth because your new close friends (your peers) are all going through this together with you, so the struggle becomes the new norm and it is now no longer  a struggle, just a way of life. I still make time for the gym 2-4x a week and go out once a week usually.

lol...

Come back to this thread in the last few weeks of your didactic year.  You are still in the honeymoon period.  

and then come back to this thread in 10 years and re-read your first post, your post sounds a lot like a 23 year old.

Man, the OP is taking a beating in this thread. Not to be a contrarian, but I agree with most of his post.

The reasons I chose PA school are basically the same as the PROS listed above: earning good money in my mid 20s, less debt, less schooling, flexible career and most importantly to me - making a difference in lives and practicing medicine.  

I also agree with OP on the difficulty of PA school. I actually find the material in PA school is easier than most of my undergraduate classes. What makes PA school difficult for me, is the constant 8-5 schedule, volume of material to go through and multiple test per week. If you've taken path, pharm or other medical related classes in undergrad the material in PA school isn't overly difficult. 

Man, the OP is taking a beating in this thread. Not to be a contrarian, but I agree with most of his post.

The reasons I chose PA school are basically the same as the PROS listed above: earning good money in my mid 20s, less debt, less schooling, flexible career and most importantly to me - making a difference in lives and practicing medicine.  

I also agree with OP on the difficulty of PA school. I actually find the material in PA school is easier than most of my undergraduate classes. What makes PA school difficult for me, is the constant 8-5 schedule, volume of material to go through and multiple test per week. If you've taken path, pharm or other medical related classes in undergrad the material in PA school isn't overly difficult. 

Thank you.

Can someone help me out. I originally was gung ho for Physical therapy, but there was too many significant negatives. This made me to start thinking about physician assistant. A nurse I work along with said he regrets nursing and told me that when choosing a profession think about your personality and what your personality would fit in. Which made me think if my personality is suited for PA. PA has alot of pros of course, but I question if it fits my personality.

I work in urgent care and its a very fast paced and can be high stress environment. I don't hate working there (sometimes I do), but I don't necessarily love it either. Some patients can really drain your personality sometimes especially working in low income areas, but good thing is that PA only see them for about 15 minutes.  My personality is pretty laid back, chill type of guy, who values work life balance, don't wanna bring my work problems back at home, just help out people and still have time to enjoy my life. Is being a PA suited for this type of personality? Anyone have this type of personality and if you do, what specialty do you work in?

Can someone help me out. I originally was gung ho for Physical therapy, but there was too many significant negatives. This made me to start thinking about physician assistant. A nurse I work along with said he regrets nursing and told me that when choosing a profession think about your personality and what your personality would fit in. Which made me think if my personality is suited for PA. PA has alot of pros of course, but I question if it fits my personality.

I work in urgent care and its a very fast paced and can be high stress environment. I don't hate working there (sometimes I do), but I don't necessarily love it either. Some patients can really drain your personality sometimes especially working in low income areas, but good thing is that PA only see them for about 15 minutes.  My personality is pretty laid back, chill type of guy, who values work life balance, don't wanna bring my work problems back at home, just help out people and still have time to enjoy my life. Is being a PA suited for this type of personality? Anyone have this type of personality and if you do, what specialty do you work in?

Well, if you really don't love your job, then I would reconsider being a PA. Being a PA can get stressful at times especially in ER or UC, but you don't have to work in that area. Being a PA allows you to have so much flexibility. I would HIGHLY suggest that you shadow three PAs  (~30 hours each) in different areas and see if you like what any of them do and ask yourself, "Do I want to do this for the rest of my life?"

Another thing to consider is the strength of your application. How are your grades? GRE? Volunteer hours? How long have you been working at the UC and what is your position? If your pre-reqs have expired (i.e. if it has been more than 7 years for most schools), you have to take them again.

Consider all the factors above and apply if you are completely sure because it is a huge investment.

My biggest worry about becoming a PA is the knowledge gap. When I was shadowing, none of the PAs I was with were able to diagnose and treat anyone fully on their own. They all had to go to their supervising physicians for help. Or sometimes the PA would just go get the history of the patient and bring it to the physician who would then take care of the rest. I'll be honest, I didn't care for that but instead I absolutely loved what the physician did. I don't always feel the need to be top dog but I do have the desire to know more.

Now, I know that that's not the case for every PA and I'm sure with time and experience, those PAs will be able to do more and treat autonomously  but it's still a point of contention for me.

But then again there are a lot of large downsides to the MD/DO pathway. It's so hard for me to decide, even after shadowing both.

If you're wondering where I am in this process, I applied last year and have been waitlisted at 1 school. Now I have to decide if I want to reapply or apply to med school or both (yes, I do have all the prereqs for med school, even the MCAT, as I was always premed until about a year and a half ago).

lol...

Come back to this thread in the last few weeks of your didactic year.  You are still in the honeymoon period.  

and then come back to this thread in 10 years and re-read your first post, your post sounds a lot like a 23 year old.

I'm so tired of reading this argument. Like if it's so bad then let's just abolish this dam profession and make everybody who wants to be a provider go to medical school. I feel like people who make this argument think once youre a PA, youre a PA for life and can't do anything else. If I hate being a PA so much in 10 years then I'll quit and do something else. God forbid I have a career change. 

My biggest worry about becoming a PA is the knowledge gap. When I was shadowing, none of the PAs I was with were able to diagnose and treat anyone fully on their own. They all had to go to their supervising physicians for help. Or sometimes the PA would just go get the history of the patient and bring it to the physician who would then take care of the rest. I'll be honest, I didn't care for that but instead I absolutely loved what the physician did. I don't always feel the need to be top dog but I do have the desire to know more.

Now, I know that that's not the case for every PA and I'm sure with time and experience, those PAs will be able to do more and treat autonomously  but it's still a point of contention for me.

But then again there are a lot of large downsides to the MD/DO pathway. It's so hard for me to decide, even after shadowing both.

If you're wondering where I am in this process, I applied last year and have been waitlisted at 1 school. Now I have to decide if I want to reapply or apply to med school or both (yes, I do have all the prereqs for med school, even the MCAT, as I was always premed until about a year and a half ago).

The desire to know more is one of the most valid reasons to enter medical school as oppose to PA school. 

It's hard to apply for both because you'll need different LORs that target both professions. What's your MCAT, GPA, and HCE? 

Optimistic, it really just depends on the provider and the years of experience. You got to think, n practicing physician has at least 3 years of work experience as a resident before they start calling their own shots. I promise you, you would not be impressed following every resident around, especially their first or second year in. But you think after 1 or 2 years we expect a PA to be fully functional provider. And granted most are. But PAs are still going to go to their supervising physician at times, and thats alright and encouraged, especially depending on the speciality, but it takes time to be a "knowledgeable provider." Also it depends where you go to school. Where I am at, they drill into us "what is going to kill this patient" Not every school is like that. So when you are confident you know everything that will kill a diabetic or kill someone with hemoptysis  you are less likely to miss something life threatening and less worried about missing a diagnosis. Am I going to come out of the gate knowing everything, of course not. But if you go to the right school and put in the time, YOU can be more than the PA that runs to their supervising physician more quickly. 

Archived