What?! Pre-reqs can only be 5 years old??

Hello,

I attended a open house in Texas for pa school. The lady said that if your pre-reqs are 5 years old from when you first took them, you need to retake them. I started college in 2011 and graduated in 2015. I don't understand this process. This means I have to take Bio1 and Chem1 all over again. I thought pre-reqs were valid 5 years after graduation. If someone can help me out or give some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks.

What Rev said.  Pre-reqs are one of the perils of applying since each school makes their own rules.  Check the website for each program.  Some have limits for all pre-reqs, just upper level, or none at all.  I graduated in 2008 (so many of mine were approaching 7-10 years old when I applied) and of the 10-15 schools I applied to, it was only an issue for one of them.  I applied anyway since some schools will waive the time limit if you can prove you've been using that knowledge in your career since then (they will usually mention something to this effect on the website though).  

5 years is usually the tightest requirement, 10 years is easier to work with but I can't say which is more common.

It's possible she was stating the expectation rather than the requirement so it might be good information to have regardless when deciding whether or not to apply. It may be there is no official limit, but that in general those that are accepted have taken the courses within that time frame.

Archived