PA Programs Employers Want to See

What do hiring positions look for in job applicants who are new PA graduates? Does the Pa program or clinical rotation sites matter? I have a choice to make between different PA programs and I dont want employers really questioning my education. One program is pretty rigorous and drops the students who can't "tough it out", but they are very known across the country. While the other program isn't too well known and is only 6 years old, but keeps their students as much as they can. I guess im asking, should I focus towards the popularity and rigor of a program, or just towards attending a program that is a little smoother and helps get me to the career? Any insight helps!

I'm not yet a student, so take this with a grain of salt. I would be worried about any program that tends to drop students. I can see maybe one or two a year at most, and only in extreme cases. You are paying them a lot of money to teach you and they should do everything they can to help you pass and become a great provider. No, they shouldn't spoon-feed you or pass people who don't deserve it, but I'm sure every student will struggle at some point and I would want to know that the school is there to help when and if that happens.

• Administrator

Most PA school reputations are local to statewide.  Unless you're going to Duke, I'm not sure that many have a truly national reputation.  Reputations also kind of follow from the general reputation of the school: Yale and USC are going to be considered better than UW/Medex by people who don't know any better. Rotations matter if you want to get into a specialty right away, but I would have rather had good quality general rotations than bad ones in specific disciplines.

I asked a few physicians this exact question a few years back when I was shadowing and they all said the same thing- they haven't seen a difference across any schools and don't look for any schools in particular. This came across as surprising to me. Interested in other's input here.

One program is pretty rigorous and drops the students who can't "tough it out",

It's not a matter of wanting to drop students, it is a matter of the curriculum moving so fast there is no hope for someone to catch up if they get in a jam.

Med schools are able to hang onto people who have a hard time in the first year because they usually have a summer to remediate any problems. PA school, not so. Breaks are few and far between at most schools.

I asked a few physicians this exact question a few years back when I was shadowing and they all said the same thing- they haven't seen a difference across any schools and don't look for any schools in particular. This came across as surprising to me. Interested in other's input here.

I don't know why it's surprising.  If you can pass PANCE then you clearly measure up to the standards; it shouldn't matter where you went.  I could see how a school's name might help get you an interview if it had a good reputation, but you still have to get the job.  If programs weren't held to accreditation standards then I could understand some serious variation among graduates.

It might come into play within a state at specific sites only. I am sure every school has places tell them that they will not hire new grads from any other program, but this is difficult to actually substantiate. Alumni networking does play a factor as well. All that being said, does it really matter at the end of the day, no.

What matters is that a student goes to a PA school where they feel they can be successful and that will prepare them to not only pass the PANCE but be a successful clinician. That can be ABC Community College or Big Ivycrest University. It's about where who will make YOU the best PA and will support you towards that goal. 

It seems to me that all new grads are considered equal in an employers mind.  The individual is what makes the difference.  I'd look at the pass rate of the school on the boards and ask medical professionals in the area about the reputation of the school, but other than that, go somewhere that suits you.

Archived