After PA School

You can

(1) apply for PA residency programs (probably best to do this right after PA school)

(2) apply for the Lecom PA/DO bridge

(3) apply the traditional route for medical school

(4) get a doctorate in public heath

(5) Plus like anything else you want to study in the professional world

PA-C is the terminal degree once you've graduated from PA school. If you want to increase your autonomy you'll need to go to med school and do it all over again. The only viable bridge program is LECOM which will allow you to go into family practice after 3 years of schooling.

Of the PAs that continue education after graduating from PA school, a MPH or Doctorate in Health Sciences are the two most common degrees pursued.

This is the glass ceiling that seasoned PAs often speak about, which also includes limited pay scale.

You can study and become anything you want after PA. However, if you want to become a doctor after PA and have your PA degree count for something the LECOM bridge is the only option so far (maybe more in the future?). I dont believe that there is a big difference (if any) in pay with any higher degrees (doctorates) obtained after PA school.

Aren't teaching jobs more attainable after obtaining these Doctorate degrees? and perhaps lead to a higher compensation?  If so, how much more are we talking with a Doctorate Degree?

A doctorate degree will definitely help you in the academic realm such as obtaining full professor status although these positions rarely pay as well as clinical work.  It will likely not be of any benefit in a clinical setting either as far as higher compensation is concerned.  Look to our slightly lower paid doctoral equivalents (Doctoral Nurse Practitioner per the latest salary report) for proof. 

Most of the profs I know have master's degrees and their clinical experience seems to be especially important to getting a job (as well as their ability to teach). A higher proportion of doctorates is found in the population of PA program directors, though often in education. 

I would encourage people leaning towards becoming PAs to plan on being clinical at the start. I feel that you need this foundation if you want to go into teaching -- or some other non-clinical role. The time spent will also give you a better idea of where you might want to go next. If you decide that you want to teach, you can start with guest lectures and part-time gigs as well.

Archived