Advice on taking a nonconventional job

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could pick the brain of my fellow pas on a job offer I've been given. It is in internal medicine, which I would enjoy, but the thing is I would never see my own patients. The doctor sees the patients and I would go in with him to see them too but I would basically transcribe while he sees them. Also, the job would involve reviewing labs (with the doc), rounding at the hospital, taking call (phone calls).

However, I graduated over 2 years ago and haven't been practicing because of past legal issues that were hindering me from getting licensed. I am finally licensed and the issues are behind me and while I have been working as an MA since I graduated, I am probably a little rusty in the medical knowledge department. I would love to one day see my own patients but do you think I should accept the internal med job? Do you think it would be a good way to get experience and probably learn a LOT from the doc? I have had several interviews and this is the only offer I've gotten. The pay is ok, $75,000, which isn't amazing but a lot more than I've been making as an MA! And for where I live (Florida) I've been told 75 Actually isn't bad for a starting salary.

Please let me know what your thoughts are, I am in need of guidance. Thank you!

Well he does have a pa there now (that I would be replacing, she is leaving due to the long commute) and she seemed to like the job, didn't have anything negative to say about it, and when I asked if she minds not having autonomy she said it's not bad for a newer pay because she's learned a ton from the doc.

so you have been out of the work force for 2 years

have never worked as a PA

an now have someone willing to take you on

I say you would be a fool to pass it up

it is not permanent, but a good stepping stone

(normally I would say "**ll no" - but with a new grad, out of school for two years, and "legal issues" in the past - you NEED a first job....)

I agree with above. The pay is fine for a job with low responsibilities. Normally would say no but given you are 2 yrs out without experience as a PA, starting a job w more autonomy would be tough. This sounds like an ideal situation for you given that it will provide you with a lot of training.

Go for it. Once you get experience under your belt ask for more autonomy.

I would accept that salary. Keep in mind that PA residency programs pay similar to this and essentially this is somewhat of a residency for you.

These are good points. Looking at the post again in the light of day, I think OP gave us some important clues. Out of the workforce for 2 years, because unable to get licensed for some type of legal reason. Has had several interviews, but only this offer. Has been working as an MA (ugh) this whole time, despite having graduated a PA program and passed PANCE... sounds fairly unusual, to say the least.

So I agree: OP, take the job if you want, get some OJT, get your knowledge base solid again. Build on this, in 2-3 years. But make no mistake, this is not a low-autonomy PA job, this is a zero-autonomy PA job, or really a glorified scribe or MA job. Your situation seems unique, so what would otherwise be a really sketchy-sounding opportunity might instead be simply an opportunity. Good luck.

Same job as an MA/Scribe but with 2-3X the pay?  Yes, it's a start.

I know several PAs, especially those in specialties, who effectively never work without their SP.  While they may (or may not) see patients without the SP seeing them, the SP is always right there in the building available, and often pops in to see the patients in clinic.  One of these, who I consider a good friend, is a 30+ year PA making almost $180K a year.

Thanks for the responses. While it could be a good learning opportunity, I don't think Im going to take it. I would literally NEVER touch a patient or barely talk to them. When I asked if there is a chance for autonomy in the future, the doc said that he feels its in the best interest of the patient and the care is better if we "work as a team", I kinda feel like he doesn't support what pa's are capable of. Im not looking for a 100k+ salary or anything and I know I need to be trained but I would rather hold out for something that I can at least have an opportunity for growth. Plus I just got licensed two weeks ago.

I agree with Ventana.

Not practicing for 2 years, no clinical experience, past legal issues....This is a good opportunity to get into the workforce and I dont see you as being a very hireable candidate. That's nothing personal, you just have some big red flags that most employers would pass on. Think about the kind of jobs you can get in this situation---pain management, occ med, cough & cold clinics....not sure I would call those "opportunities for growth". 

For whatever reason this doc is old school and wants you to be a high-paid MA. I say work this job for one year. Think of it as a paid internship, then you can leave and have some bargaining power to land a real clinical job. 

Regardless of OPs past issues - this job sucks! This job perpetuates the idea that PAs are scribes with a good vocabulary.

I wouldn't take the job because it is an insult to our profession.

Me personally, I couldn't take any amount of money to stand there and type what someone says while acting like I don't know what is going on.

As PAs we should be eliminating these types of jobs and stereotypes that insult and delay our profession and educating these physicians about their lack of insight and their hubris.

As for the OP, she needs to get her act together and either get into a residency or find some way to promote qualifications and get a real PA job that will use clinical skills.

I am a bit perplexed by the number of folks I see on this forum who have legal and other issues that have prevented them from practicing including untreated ADD and anxiety. Sorry to be a bit bitter and skeptical - but - what gives??? It worries me that so many folks are in questionable positions that are so severe that it limits their employability. Is this good for the PA profession? 

These are just my opinions. We all have personal issues and some baggage - just seems like the problems are bigger and more questionable than I have ever seen before. Personal responsibility and integrity are something medical professionals are held to a higher standard and scrutiny. I am concerned that we have graduates with seemingly so much baggage.

Just my very old 2 cents

I think the concept of following around the doc is attractive when you feel nervous about starting your career as a PA, but eventually it would get really old.  You learn so much more from being able to make your own medical decisions than you could ever learn from getting all the answers from the doc.  Most believe that the worst part of medicine is documenting.  I started a job in internal medicine at a hospital, where I was originally independent.  They wanted to try something different for productivity so they switched me to being a scribe and following around the doc.  I politely "tried" the whole scribe thing, hated it, let them know I would find a different job if this continued and now I'm back to independent and loving it.

You're right Reality check- I have a past. Many years ago when I was younger I got a DUI and I am now in the professional resource network (completely sober and accepting responsibility for my past issues) I excelled in PA school and have great references and all I want to do is practice.

I get what eeveryone that responded is saying but when something doesn't feel right/a good fit you shouldn't do it and this to me just isn't feeling right.

OP, here's what I think you should do (step-wise):

1) Take this job. You're not really in a position to decline any job.

2) Stay on this job for about a year.

3) Either transition to a better job or do a residency.

Don't look for a better job now and don't apply to residency programs right now.

I also wouldn't worry about how this reflects on the profession. You're at a point where you need to worry about your own personal future. Once you get that fixed, then worry about your brethren.

Take the job and while you're gathering experience, for $75,000 per year mind you, begin researching your next move. Explore other settings and specialties and consider this a residency program. Enjoy the fact you will have less autonomy and responsibility in the short term which will allow you to focus on the future. Overall, your situation sounds potentially better than a medical resident because you will be paid much more with less responsibility and, I presume, less in the way of student loans.

How does a PA who is working as a scribe and never examines a patient get a good reference from their SP?

Reference question:  Please rate the candidate regarding their exam, diagnosing and treatment skills.

SP:  He/She was a good scribe.  He dictated all my notes.  He did the coding.  He made me productive.  But, I have no idea if he has any idea what a heart murmur sounds like and in the light of patient safety, my PA scribes don't examine , diagnose or treat my patients.

Hi everyone, well I ended up getting another offer in pediatrics that I am going to accept. its a great practice and after some training I will be able to see my own patients. There are also two docs and NPs that are happy to teach. I'm very happy and excited and glad I didn't take the other scribing job. Thanks for all your support.

Archived