Holy crap. David Newman

So I loaded the February issue of Annals of EM and heard two random guys with no mention of David Newman. I thought maybe he went back to his original podcast series smart EM but found this news article instead.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/nyregion/colleagues-express-disbelief-over-arrest-of-doctor-with-picture-perfect-life.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&referer=http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/PublicHealth/55768

Thoughts and prayers are with this great provider. Really hope these allegations are not true.

I always wonder with these sexual allegation cases if the accusers are fabricating/extrapolating the truth, then other patients see an opportunity..

Or, if the abuse really happened and then the ice has been broken and others feel more confident about coming forward with it.

True or not his career will never be the same. I suspect it is if he turned himself in.

Another provider I worked with peripherally a while back had the cops called on him by some psych patient he was evaluating and had to check a femoral pulse on. This was for disability evals and he refused to see female patients after that.

This is why I never touch a female patient in a sensitive place without another female in the room to chaperone. Ever.

Turning himself in in no way is an admission of anything by him!  It means the police probably had a warrant for his arrest based on the complaints and instead of having them come get him at his home or place of work he voluntarily turned himself in.

I really want to hear the explanation of how he drugged the one patient in an exam room and ejaculated on her face and then what?  She just wiped it off and went home like nothing happened?  How the heck does she not walk out and immediately report that?  I worked in an ER, I just can't see how that could happen.  I really have to wonder if there isn't a history of schizophrenia there?

I really want to hear the explanation of how he drugged the one patient in an exam room and ejaculated on her face and then what?  She just wiped it off and went home like nothing happened?  How the heck does she not walk out and immediately report that?  I worked in an ER, I just can't see how that could happen.  I really have to wonder if there isn't a history of schizophrenia there?

That's what I thought. Like how is that even possible in an ER...

Part of the human condition is our desire to discuss the foibles, follies, and downfalls of the people around us or comment with glee when our heroes, celebrities, or elected leaders screw up.  

Social media and the related photographs or videos of everything makes gossip much more convenient. Hit Send and it’s on its way.  Unfortunately, gossip spreads more than verbally these days.  Still, old school methods work just as well. 

All the necessary elements are in the Petri dish: people are under personal and professional stress all the time. Sitting together for long hours; relationships or friendships form, grow, or collapse; power struggles the usual ebb and flow; political games the backstabbing, the fakes, people still find the time inclination to talk.

The obvious reasons to not to gossip at work are ample and let’s face it, it is just bad and wastes time and money. It is always hurtful.  It helps create cliques, divisions, and the silent treatment.  It can ruin friendships, relationships, and even marriages.  It can hurt you personal and professional as well as your reputation if you are labeled as it is possibly shown here.

I didn't start the thread to gossip but to offer my prayers and support. Also inadvertently to highlight apparently how easy it is to have your reputation ruined by a couple patients. I think your post is referring not to us on this forum but to those around Newmans work area but just want to clear this up in case.

. I personally find these allegations to sound like BS and hope they are thrown out. I am a huge fan of Newmans podcasts and while I don't know the guy personally, would defend his reputation a hundred times over before trashing it without some undeniable evidence - which is lacking. Unfortunately these national news stories have probably ruined his career whether true or not which is a damn shame. The same could happen to anyone of us. These weren't even ob gyn cases.

Archived