What did you do in your gap year(s)? Need some advice.

I'll be taking a gap year, maybe two, before going to PA school. I never studied abroad in college and I regret it a lot. I would love to do an internship abroad after I graduate in May for 4-6 months as I'm not sure when I would get the chance to live abroad again. I've looked into a few programs and it looks like it could be a possibility. I'm just worried that it might be detrimental to my PA school application. I have a decent amount of HCE (2500), but I'm not sure of the opportunities of getting more HCE while abroad, a few programs state they don't sponsor healthcare jobs. Would this negatively impact my applications? I'm not currently working in a healthcare setting for my last semester, and if I did this I might not be working in a healthcare setting for about 9 months to a year. 

You're young. Having some fun will not ruin your PA school application. Live for now because otherwise, what's the point of any of this? I went abroad for about 4 years before returning to the states to start PA school and had no problems. A little bit of worldliness is generally seen as a plus in most fields. 

• Administrator

In the 17 years between my undergraduate degree and PA school matriculation, I did two masters' degrees, worked full time throughout, got married and had three kids, became an EMT and joined a fire department, and visited about 10 countries between my work travels and medical missions experience.

GO ABROAD.

Your life is too short to have regrets and wish you did things. I understand where you are coming from, but this is you and your life. If the PA programs you're applying to can't fathom that (which I highly doubt) -- then they don't deserve you.

Trust me. I lived in Italy for 6 months and did absolutely nothing science related there. I came back and while applying to PA schools worked as a deodorant panelist and artist (painter). If you stay true to yourself, they can't fault you for honesty. (Oh, and I was invited to interview at every school I applied to...and currently am in my second year of PA school). And if you're sure that PA school is it for you, then who is anyone to doubt that? Please, please -- travel if you can. Go abroad. Enrich your life and gain perspective while you're able to and still open to it...it will only serve you in the long run. :)

Thanks everyone for your support! I've had a lot of pressure from various sources (parents etc..) to get into a career ASAP, but I really want to take my time. I'm just worried that because my HCE wouldn't be as recent (+1 year old) that I might be out of the running for some programs. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's ok hey. I have pressures from my parents too. But once we go to PA school and study our butts off, then we graduate and work a lot, we won't have time to travel abroad, much less volunteer in third world countries. I'm not competitive this cycle but I'll still be applying, but I'm going to enjoy the process and do more volunteer work in third world countries and enjoy life :)

Archived