94 Schools Agree That Nothing Else Matters During Interviews

This research paper in the Journal of Physician Assistant Eduation blew my mind a little bit. The authors of the study asked the directors of all ARC-PA accredited PA programs to rate the most influential factors for admission decisions. The first thing that surprised me was their response rate: 94 of 154 program directors responded! Normally you can expect a 15% or less response rate on these kind on things (go PA's!)

The second think that surprised me was that only 8 factors were considered substantially infuential in admissions decisions of the 26 that were suggested- and they're not what you would expect. Using this report as a guideline, I wrote an article how to improve your chances during the interview process here: 94 Schools Agree That Nothing Else Matters During Interviews

Hopefully I made their research paper understandable. This type of academic literature tends to be overly pedantic.IMO... enjoy :)

If I was interviewing students I would assume by the time they got to me their academic credentials have been vetted. I would be looking at "Is this person likable? Do they have any idea what patient care entails? Are they doing it for the right reasons or just because they think it would be "interesting"?? And are they mature enough to handle hundreds of awkward encounters and high-stress testing for 2 years?"

Honestly, I didn't think this was a very good post because several sentences just exemplify what is diluting the applicant pool. Let's advance the profession and focus on having all of these characteristics before applying to PA school, not faking your way through it.

Here is what made me raise my eyebrows:

"Many PA’s are in it for the money and that’s ok..." Can we please stop talking about money! If you want money go do anything but medicine. You will work less and get paid more.

"Whether you have extensive healthcare work with patient contact or not, you can make it seem like you do by throwing in a few personalized stories about specific experiences."

"If your resume isn’t packed full of experience with patients in the real-world, make sure to subtly talk yourself up…"

I don't get??!! You are going to fake your way into the medical community by acting like you've worked in a hospital before?

If a candidate ever asked me one of the suggested questions the interview would end right there. And to suggest that candidates "talk tourself up" is nonsense. Shows a complete lack of integrity. I'm lookiing for someone who can complete the program and become a PA not a used car salesperson

Archived