And you ask why we need a name change

So Massachusetts has a critical shortage of primary care doc's.

NP's have to be credentialed and recogonized by insurance companies as PCP's

their is a current bill before the MA lawmakers that would amoung other things make PA's primary care providers, would have to be recogonized and paid for by insurance companies and in general would bring MASS to a reasonable state to practice primary care..... and maybe even own your own company....

But Mass Medical Society testified against this (not a big surprise) but check out the following paragraph and then tell me if you think that we do not need a name change.... even the Physician Agencies are using our name against us (I can't remember the last time I was just an assistant but it sure was not when I was a PA)

Section 15 also by statutory reference strikes out current law requiring that the name of a supervising physician be listed on prescriptions of physician assistants. What patient, concerned about a prescription, wouldn’t want to know who supervises the assistant?

These specific provisions raise quality concerns, even though they are couched in legalese which hides their meaning. If these provisions have merit, why aren’t they plainly stated?

I think this regulation is pure crap anyways as who really cares who the SP is when I am seeing a patient and why does the pharmacy need this on every script?

If you have time - read the full response that Mass Medical made to this bill and you realize that they are as politically motivated as any other large organization and really do not care what the facts are, and will use our name against us....

http://www.massmed.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6&CONTENTID=52758&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

I am not surprised that people will use our name against us. You can't blame the general public. This is a great profession, but the name does suck.

Please complete the new AAPA census, there are 2 questions regarding the name change. You don't have to be an AAPA member to participate.

http://www.cvent.com/Surveys/Questions/IDConfirm.aspx?s=2a7f2ea9-a93d-4f48-a744-5acdf75c8b99

One of the sad parts about this whole mess is that the "Bureucrats" here will be in this thread shortly to instruct us on why we are mis-guided and why we should continue to avoid upsetting those physician "PArtners" of ours who OBVIOUSLY have our best interest at heart...

Simply ignoring the FACT that everytime WE try to advance our profession... the same dynamic duo of bad actors (Nurses & Physicians) actively obstruct any progress...

Stand by... 3...2...1...

One of the sad parts about this whole mess is that the "Bureucrats" here will be in this thread shortly to instruct us on why we are mis-guided and why we should continue to avoid upsetting those physician "PArtners" of ours who OBVIOUSLY have our best interest at heart...

Simply ignoring the FACT that everytime WE try to advance our profession... the same dynamic duo of bad actors (Nurses & Physicians) actively obstruct any progress...

Stand by... 3...2...1...

I for one am tired of the paper pushers and our own national agency not pushing hard to advance us- I have seen NP's and the nursing union stand up to the great big medical establishment and they have done it - it is time for AAPA, NCCPA, every state agency and all other national agencies realize we are over the critical mass and we need to stand up to ourselves

that is why every pa needs to fill out the pa census at www.aapa.org this yr which has 2 name change questions on it....

just so everyone is aware - you do NOT have to join AAPA to do the census - just go to the web site and fill it out.

So Massachusetts has a critical shortage of primary care doc's.

NP's have to be credentialed and recogonized by insurance companies as PCP's

their is a current bill before the MA lawmakers that would amoung other things make PA's primary care providers, would have to be recogonized and paid for by insurance companies and in general would bring MASS to a reasonable state to practice primary care..... and maybe even own your own company....

But Mass Medical Society testified against this (not a big surprise) but check out the following paragraph and then tell me if you think that we do not need a name change.... even the Physician Agencies are using our name against us (I can't remember the last time I was just an assistant but it sure was not when I was a PA)

Section 15 also by statutory reference strikes out current law requiring that the name of a supervising physician be listed on prescriptions of physician assistants. What patient, concerned about a prescription, wouldn’t want to know who supervises the assistant?

These specific provisions raise quality concerns, even though they are couched in legalese which hides their meaning. If these provisions have merit, why aren’t they plainly stated?

I think this regulation is pure crap anyways as who really cares who the SP is when I am seeing a patient and why does the pharmacy need this on every script?

If you have time - read the full response that Mass Medical made to this bill and you realize that they are as politically motivated as any other large organization and really do not care what the facts are, and will use our name against us....

http://www.massmed.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6&CONTENTID=52758&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

You will get no argument from me as this is the same BS you get with everything related to what is perceived as expansion of scope of practice by our physician friends.

You can substitute optomitrist and psychologist for "assistant" in Ca and you will get the same argument from organized medicine.

The name of the supervising physician on prescriptions is a matter of regulation in California, and this relates to our law. We function under what is called "transmitted prescribing", and the PA, as agent of the physician, transmits the physician's prescription. It still quacks like a duck. There is no more patient specific permission needed to prescribe for anything, up to and including schedules (with the caveat that Schedule IIs need to be countersigned within a specified period).

Sorry to disappoint you Contrarian.... :-)

Archived