Poll: For All Veterans!

How many Veterans have or plan on applying for PA school this cycle?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many Veterans have or plan on applying for PA school this cycle?

• Current/Former Corpsman or Medic applying this year
    • Non-medical MOS/NEC Veteran applying this year
    • Still doing Pre-reqs, will apply next year

Hello folks,

Congrats to those entering programs this year. Those thinking about applying, you might want to follow this link: http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/veterans/physicianassistants.html.

Here's a list of programs that have reported their recruitment/retention activities for Vets. This is not a complete list, the info is still being complied. It is a start. Go to the programs' WEB sites for specifics, or contact the programs directly.

Targeted recruitment

Anne Arundel Community College

Wake Forest School of Medicine

Chatham University

Medex

Scholarships

Emory University School ofMedicine

Harding University

Touro University of Nevada

Western Michigan University

Altered curricula

Trevecca Nazarene University

AT Stills University- Arizona

Drexel University

Bethel University

Gannon University

Mentoring programs

Drexel University

Hello folks,

Congrats to those entering programs this year. Those thinking about applying, you might want to follow this link: http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/veterans/physicianassistants.html.

Here's a list of programs that have reported their recruitment/retention activities for Vets. This is not a complete list, the info is still being complied. It is a start. Go to the programs' WEB sites for specifics, or contact the programs directly.

Targeted recruitment

Anne Arundel Community College

Wake Forest School of Medicine

Chatham University

Medex

Scholarships

Emory University School ofMedicine

Harding University

Western Michigan University

Altered curricula

Trevecca Nazarene University

AT Stills University- Arizona

Drexel University

Bethel University

Gannon University

Mentoring programs

Drexel University

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no better time than now to apply. Middle East Veterans are a priority as both Combat Medics and Corpsmen did an outstanding job in caring for America's bravest. Go for it and tell your fellow people in the combat arms as you are needed just as we initial pioneer Vietnam Vets were.

Bob blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like when you served is not as important as the fact that you served. The definition of Veteran that the HRSA workgroups is deciding on does not appear to be specific to gulf/Iraq era veterans. I agree with Bob those Vets will be ones targeted for recruitment but if there are Nam era vets wanting to apply do it. Will keep you posted when I learn more.

Les

Accepted to Idaho State University. Former 91W/68W2P (2005-2012) went to the sandbox with the 82nd Airborne for OIF. I ETS'd from S. Korea and moved to Boise to play and learn in the mountains. One point of interest: Idaho law allows transitioning servicemembers that move to Idaho upon release from service to register as a resident. So moving from S. Korea to Boise even though I had no ties to the area except PA school I was given resident tuition rates-which the Post 9/11 GI Bill completely covers! Pretty sweet deal.

• 2 months later...

Former 91W3PF (Airborne and Flight Medic). 3 deployments and 1 trip to Korea. Got out in '08 (and yeah...I know the MOS code is 68, but 91 is cooler)

Applied for two cycles and got denied due to my undergraduate GPA from 1996, dragging down my cumulative (post bac is a 3.98 with EVERY BIO and CHEM class you can take done). That said, I'm applying next year one more time and if I don't get in, I'm likely going another direction as it's just too frustrating to get overlooked because of mistakes I made over 15 years ago.

Rich

Archived