Organic Chemistry

calculus is only required at 10% of us medschools.....

dude.. if there was a way where I didn't have to take calc I would have done it!! wut a freaking nightmare! I was forced to take calc b/c I had to take the calc based physics - this one was the required course... so calc became an "indirect" requirement if you will.. -__- sneaky medskools...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I graduated 3rd in a class of 80 and never took biochem or ochem.

I was a TA for the pharm course 2 years in a row and received the highest score in the hx of the course there( missed 1 question on 1 exam in 2 semesters). my final score for the course was 998 out of 1000 points.

I think I got everything out of pharm that I needed. I have also scored >95% on pance and panre each time I have taken them.

truth of the matter is that when I was deciding md vs pa o-chem was a consideration. I thought it was a waste of time as did all of the docs I asked about it. you can understand pharmacology perfectly well without knowing o-chem. trust me on this. I decided instead to take extra biology in college instead of extra chemistry. although I was a medical anthro major I ended up with more bio credits than a bio major because they had to take lots of math and chem that I didn't. I did take physics and got a's all 3 courses.

if we were going to argue for extra coursework for pa school prereqs I would require a semester of physics before a semester of ochem.

wow.. I'm totally impressed .. hit me over the head with some numbas!

Actually I was going to say if you want to take extra classes cuz of some undying love for the subject.. anatomy or physiology would be a great choice.. I took anatomy 3 times ^_^ couldn't get enuf of it I suppose.. and plus it really helped me during didactic.. I mean really really helped.

I took ochem as premed and I had an o-so-awesome teacher so I didn't crash and burn my gpa thank gawd.. but it certainly hasn't helped me any in pharmacology in PA skool (i know b/c I didn't remember a damn thing from ochem when I took the MCAT like 3 years ago).. and i didn't take biochem and don't think it would help me either. So far so good!

dude.. if there was a way where I didn't have to take calc I would have done it!! wut a freaking nightmare! I was forced to take calc b/c I had to take the calc based physics - this one was the required course... so calc became an "indirect" requirement if you will.. -__- sneaky medskools...

your major required calc based physics?

bummer...all the bio majors I know took algebra based physics like I did and most of them took pre-calc or stats as required by their programs..

No..I had to take calc based physics for medical skool -_- .. which is probably why I have an never ending hate for both subjects -_- Originally my major did require it - molecular cell bio.. but I didn't even end up with that major - I did integrative bio instead (hehe much more fun but only a few classes different - I did it to avoid biochem actually ahahahahah)

you do know there are(many) med schools that don't require calc or calc based physics, right?

including the #1 primary care medschool in the country:

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MD-Program/Admissions/Applicants/Prerequisites/Pages/default.aspx

look at the option. 1 yr of physics or 1 course in physics + take calc or linear algebra

also no calc or calc based physics requirement at the #2 primary care medschool:

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/md-program/admissions/requirements.cfm

LOL trust me my shiet wasn't good enuf for #1 or #2.. I thnk I was looking waaay further down on that list -_- plus the major I thought I was going to do after transferring required it .. bleh.. at least I learned how to force myself to do stuff I didn't like.. I guess that was one positive thing that came out of it - wanted it bad enuf to go thru calc.. and physics.. barf*

LOL trust me my shiet wasn't good enuf for #1 or #2.. I thnk I was looking waaay further down on that list -_- plus the major I thought I was going to do after transferring required it .. bleh.. at least I learned how to force myself to do stuff I didn't like.. I guess that was one positive thing that came out of it - wanted it bad enuf to go thru calc.. and physics.. barf*

sorry you had to deal with that....there's always counseling later if you need it....;):D

hahhaa thanks.. I am thankful though that ochem wasn't the one to traumatize me.. since I've been blabbing about physics and ochem this thread's name...I think for those that do want to take ochem.. you will probably end up with someone who doesn't know how to teach it at all.. best piece of advice i can give then is to practice all the freaking homework problems you can.. and then I think there is the ACS ochem book that you can buy for like 15 bux.. that one is good.. has lots of practice stuff/tests in there with great explanations.

there is no required pre-med or pre-pa degree. you can major in anything(as you know) as long as you meet the specific prereqs.

Yeah --I didnt get suckered into the trap like some do:p

many think thatin order to getinto med school or a PA program they have to be a science major when its not true

Like you I would rather take biology courses (I find natural sciences more interesting than physical sciences) and health science courses (epidemology, healthcare delivery systems, healthcare ethics)

I think thats why I like my current major so much (switched to healthcare administration when I switched schools)

many think thatin order to getinto med school or a PA program they have to be a science major when its not true

Like you I would rather take biology courses (I find natural sciences more interesting than physical sciences) and health science courses (epidemology, healthcare delivery systems, healthcare ethics)

I think thats why I like my current major so much (switched to healthcare administration when I switched schools)

yup! actually more and more med skools wanna see majors other than biology.. they give preference in some cases cuz it shows that you're well balanced/rounded.. whatevers. I chose my major too cuz i really liked it.. and later found out that it's not recommended that you take anatomy and physiology before med skool.. which i thought was weird.. but whatevs.. liked it, loved it, don't regret it!

I really truly thought it was strange that med schools would not require A&P--I mean calc or physics over A&P just doesnt seem right to me---but what do I know:p

I actually plan to start USF grad certificate in Medical Health Sciences--I think it will help me out greatly:

Medical Anatomy

Medical Neuroscience

Medical Biochemistry

Medical Histology

It all seems interesting minus the neuroscience--I didnt really like neurobiology. If I dont get in this coming cycle then I plan to take

Medical Pathology

Medical Physiology

Medical Pharmacology

for kicks:D

yup! actually more and more med skools wanna see majors other than biology.. they give preference in some cases cuz it shows that you're well balanced/rounded.. whatevers. I chose my major too cuz i really liked it.. and later found out that it's not recommended that you take anatomy and physiology before med skool.. which i thought was weird.. but whatevs.. liked it, loved it, don't regret it!

I really truly thought it was strange that med schools would not require A&P--I mean calc or physics over A&P just doesnt seem right to me---but what do I know:p

I actually plan to start USF grad certificate in Medical Health Sciences--I think it will help me out greatly:

Medical Anatomy

Medical Neuroscience

Medical Biochemistry

Medical Histology

It all seems interesting minus the neuroscience--I didnt really like neurobiology. If I dont get in this coming cycle then I plan to take

Medical Pathology

Medical Physiology

Medical Pharmacology

for kicks:D

I posted a link to an article on SDN a while back from the New York Post I think about future (not distant future) of eliminating some premed courses in substitution for others.

I think a lot of hopeful doctors have their fantasies smashed by having to memorize countless physics formulas as well as whatever the hell goes on in organic chemistry. It's why I gave up on premed in college. I felt like I had better things to do at the time than sit around doing school work.

Histology is not really that cool to me. Once I've seen an example I'm like ok let's move on. I had histo in Vert. Zoo. and A&PI. I went way more in depth in zoo class than I did A&P. Neuroscience kinda blows too I think once you complicate things with action potentials and the like. The anatomy, physio, patho, and pharm would be cool though. That program is just so freakin pricey!

Guest starvingstudent

well i like to have options... with my BS, and the classes i took, i could apply to a variety of grad schools.... D.O., PA, wildlife biology, ecology, zoology, etc, etc.... if i'd only got a BA in psych and decided PA isnt what i want id be working at Sears or something.... get it? ;) so who is the sucker??:cool:

in life there are many stratigies.

Guest starvingstudent
I posted a link to an article on SDN a while back from the New York Post I think about future (not distant future) of eliminating some premed courses in substitution for others.

I think a lot of hopeful doctors have their fantasies smashed by having to memorize countless physics formulas as well as whatever the hell goes on in organic chemistry. It's why I gave up on premed in college. I felt like I had better things to do at the time than sit around doing school work.

Histology is not really that cool to me. Once I've seen an example I'm like ok let's move on. I had histo in Vert. Zoo. and A&PI. I went way more in depth in zoo class than I did A&P. Neuroscience kinda blows too I think once you complicate things with action potentials and the like. The anatomy, physio, patho, and pharm would be cool though. That program is just so freakin pricey!

the only reason pre-meds memorize this crap (physics, chem, ochem, etc, etc) is to score really good on the MCAT.... then they forget it. getting into med school is very competative, so is PA school. remember there are people out there that get/or dont get "suckered" into taking hard classes but they do good in them and guess what, you will get smashed by competetors like this, so there you go.

when i decided to apply to PA school i was commited to do everything i could to have the SHARPEST edge.... you are competing against a lot of smart people for a limited number of seats.

the only reason pre-meds memorize this crap (physics, chem, ochem, etc, etc) is to score really good on the MCAT.... then they forget it. getting into med school is very competative, so is PA school. remember there are people out there that get/or dont get "suckered" into taking hard classes but they do good in them and guess what, you will get smashed by competetors like this, so there you go.

when i decided to apply to PA school i was commited to do everything i could to have the SHARPEST edge.... you are competing against a lot of smart people for a limited number of seats.

Why are you replying to me telling me this? I know why they take the courses. Obviously, if other courses were eliminated then the MCAT would be altered.

well i like to have options... with my BS, and the classes i took, i could apply to a variety of grad schools.... D.O., PA, wildlife biology, ecology, zoology, etc, etc.... if i'd only got a BA in psych and decided PA isnt what i want id be working at Sears or something.... get it? ;) so who is the sucker??:cool:

in life there are many stratigies.

When I say suckered Im speaking of the students who think that they have to do the standard pre-med track instead of majoring in something they like or would pursue should they decide not to go the med route:rolleyes:

If a person was truly interseted in psych and would pursue it if they decided not to go to med school then how are they a sucker...which is what you seem to insinuate? There are a few routes that you can go with a BS in psych, social work, health services admin and even more if you further the education.:)

While people may have options with a BS in biology theres not much you can do with a standard pre-med track degree (at some schools a bio major and pre-med "major" come out with two different degrees--one has a BS in Biology while the other has a BS in Health Professions-Pre Clinical Track--what can you do with the latter again?:rolleyes:--besides apply to more health profession programs)

Doesnt matter as much to me as it does to you though---med school was a thought and then after thought all within 10 minutes with me and it has been PA ever since. Im happy with the major I have because even if I chose not to go the PA route I can still get a great job in healthcare without having to further my education--:cool:

Guest starvingstudent
When I say suckered Im speaking of the students who think that they have to do the standard pre-med track instead of majoring in something they like or would pursue should they decide not to go the med route:rolleyes:

If a person was truly interseted in psych and would pursue it if they decided not to go to med school then how are they a sucker...which is what you seem to insinuate? There are a few routes that you can go with a BS in psych, social work, health services admin and even more if you further the education.:)

While people may have options with a BS in biology theres not much you can do with a standard pre-med track degree (at some schools a bio major and pre-med "major" come out with two different degrees--one has a BS in Biology while the other has a BS in Health Professions-Pre Clinical Track--what can you do with the latter again?:rolleyes:--besides apply to more health profession programs)

Doesnt matter as much to me as it does to you though---med school was a thought and then after thought all within 10 minutes with me and it has been PA ever since. Im happy with the major I have because even if I chose not to go the PA route I can still get a great job in healthcare without having to further my education--:cool:

you know Cindy, i am suffering from a bit of cabin fever up here in no mans land (montana)... and i guess im being a bit of a hard ***, i think i need to lighten up... i am going to drink a few more egg nogg and rum, and hit the rack.... you seem like you have a lot of spunk in you, and lots of personality... i wish you the best of everything.!!

you know Cindy, i am suffering from a bit of cabin fever up here in no mans land (montana)... and i guess im being a bit of a hard ***, i think i need to lighten up... i am going to drink a few more egg nogg and rum, and hit the rack.... you seem like you have a lot of spunk in you, and lots of personality... i wish you the best of everything.!!

I aways liked that word.....spunk:D

I plan to have my first Christmas as a PA in a cabin with actual snow around.....15 yrs in FL (have yet to see on real flamingo:rolleyes:) with 70+ degree winters is kinda crazy:eek::p

Guest starvingstudent
I aways liked that word.....spunk:D

I plan to have my first Christmas as a PA in a cabin with actual snow around.....15 yrs in FL (have yet to see on real flamingo:rolleyes:) with 70+ degree winters is kinda crazy:eek::p

snowy christmas is nice (i could do without th sub-zero temps though)....

this weekend i think i might drive to yellowstone and enjoy the scenery (geysers, wolves, and bobcats oh my)... or maybe head back up to the ski resort and hit the slopes, last time i was there i pretty much had the place all to myself... it was nice and sunny too :D

Guest starvingstudent
The staff doing the interview may have never taken organic chemistry as it's a new requirement.

depends on the school, we had three docs (one phD and two MDs) interview us during the group interview... never during either interview where we asked about ochem, or things like that. i dont you'd ever be tested like that during an interview... waste of time, they can just look at your grades, if they are poor then they may ask why.

• 3 years later...
Do you know of any schools that do not require organic or biochem? I am not going to be able to take them due to a packed schedule of finishing my undergraduate as an athletic training major. Thank you!

probably 50% of programs don't. just look around.

Archived