2012 applicants?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to burst anyone's bubble Im going to have to agree with Pam, I do not believe it is in anyway a hint or clue that anyone is being or has been accepted to the PA program based on the page for the "Academic Review". I think it is either one of two things: 1.) As Pam stated it may be the program that you initially selected when you applied to the school or signed up for webadvisor as your desired program major, or 2.) It may be exactly what it says, just an "Academic Review", possibly posted by the school itself to do an academic check to see if you meet all of the requirements for the program.

Seeing as how the main categories are "Program Summary" and "Program Requirements" -- It appears to basically just show the required classes, units and GPA for the program as well as the classes you have completed, are in progress, and/or have remaining (if any). It also has breakdown of the categories of classes which are required and which you have taken or have remaining to take.

I have a question for those of you who applied to the PA program this year. When you log into web advisor, check your transcripts on file with RCCD.It should be a button located toward the bottom left of the student home page. When I sent in my transcripts in my packet, I know I sent the transcripts for rcc, ucr, & csusb however it only shows ucr & csusb & does not show my rcc transcripts. Do any of you have this same issue? I'm really hoping that its just not listed bc its rccs own transcripts and they obviously already have them on file. I would imagine I would have already gotten z denial letter had they not received everything required in the packet. Thanks in advance.

Well as JoeyMandry01 had previously stated, I too now have an "Academic Review" under the Moreno Valley campus for Physician Assistant program. I have been checking the last couple days and as of yesterday/thursday I did not have it and I did not set up anything to include the Physician Assistant program in my Academic Review. I do not believe that it is a hint that we have been accepted to the program but rather I believe that it is a review of the classes that we have taken for the PA program selection committee to see our scholastic history. It only includes classes taken at RCC so if you have other classes taken at other schools and some of the categories say "Not Met" or anything like that do not worry as this is only for classes taken at RCC. So far myself and JoeyMandry01 have this listed, does everyone else have this on their webadvisor?

Thank you Pam. I look forward to meeting you as well & the rest of the students from the 2013 & 2014 graduating classes. Congratulations to you as well erptacmtkrazyso and every one else who gets accepted! And for those of you who have not yet received a response, dont worry I'm sure will by monday as it seems they just sent out the letters this week. I'm so looking forward to getting everything all in order for classes to start! I'm sure the next few months are going to fly by as we wait for classes to start this fall.

Great, thanks for the info pam. Do they give you a packet, or have a meeting, or give you a time line / info on when these things need to be done by? Or do they just expect us to know when & what to do & have you do them on your own? I would imagine they would give us some sort of info on when we need these things done by & what exactly we need to do. Thanks in advance.

A really huge congrats to all those accepted! :=D:

I rec'd a letter today stating my physics prereq doesn't meet program requirements. Really? I find it almost laughable, as course description was nearly verbatim of RCCs Physics 10+11, and was both lecture and lab, separate, and not done online. I feel like a rejection letter would have been a bit more respectable.

Sigh!! Yeahhhhhhh! I got mine today. The letter was dated April 4, 2012, was postmarked April 6, 2012, and delivered today, April 9, 2012. Congratulations to all that got an acceptance letter. I look forward to meeting you all sometime in May. Thanks for all your FYI's Pam. Is there anything that you, Pam, would recommend that I read or prepare for before starting in the Fall?

Kimberly Angeles

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all those that got in so far!

Hmm... summer plans.. Depends on your personality. This is your longest break until Christmas. So, some advise living it up and enjoying yourself. Or, you could go ahead and buy the newest version of Harrison's Guide to Internal Medicine (which you will need....undoubtedly) and start looking through that and getting familiar with the format. Or get a Bates Guide to Physical Examination (also required) and look through some of the physical exams, or a review of anatomy might also help. Or, if you haven't worked with a PA before, you might shadow one and get some tips/advice from them.

It's also a good idea to get to know one another.... you become like family to each other, so the sooner you know people, the more you can help each other out. PA school is a group effort. You share study ideas with each other and want to see each other succeed. It's no longer competition like it is in other classes or schools you have been in. So if you have a chance to meet each other this summer, do it. We will likely host a picnic for you guys sometime this summer, but some of you may not be able to make it. Form a thread on here and talk to each other.

A few tips... Our school calls everyone by last name... Ms. _____, Mr. ______.... the professors, director, secretary, students, each other. So remember to refer to everyone with their last name as a sign of respect. Also, patience is VERY important. Many PA schools have things come up that will postpone or change your schedule. Our class had the reputation apparently of being a bit "whiney" at first, but have now learned to "roll with the punches". So try to be better than our class, ok? Things will work out... If you need to ask me anything personally later, my email is pamelajeanwhiteley@hotmail.com .

Pam,

I have a question for you (or anyone who may know the answer). As far as paying for school tuition, books, supplies, etc.. Is there any kind of student loans or FAFSA available to the PA students? I'm sure they will probably go over this at the orientation in may but my wife & I are curious as to what kind of financial planning we are going to need to plan out & the sooner the better.

Pam,

I have a question for you (or anyone who may know the answer). As far as paying for school tuition, books, supplies, etc.. Is there any kind of student loans or FAFSA available to the PA students? I'm sure they will probably go over this at the orientation in may but my wife & I are curious as to what kind of financial planning we are going to need to plan out & the sooner the better.

It has been around 4-5 years since I asked about financial aid, but if I remember correctly, I believe the Federal Stafford loan will cover it. I know the program is cheap enough where I don't think I'll even bother with loans if I get in. Here is more info here: http://www.rcc.edu/services/studentFinancialServices/files/1011RIVConsumerGuideBookletRIV.pdf

Page 52 is the "cost of attendance" as far as how much loan $$ you will need. There is plenty more information though in that .pdf too.

Yes, if you fill out the FAFSA and show ANY need at all, you qualify for the BOGG waiver, which pays for the tuition/fee part of the cost. Then you just have to pay for books/equipment, etc. You can get Stafford loans thru the Fafsa to help cover this cost. The loans are not a lot... I think mine was like $4500 in the fall, $4500 spring. The trick is that you don't get any disbursement in the summer or winter, so you have to make the spring/fall money last.

And, if you have your Bachelor's degree and are planning on going to Saint Francis for your Master's, you can get master's level loans your second year of PA school if you enroll in St Francis (much larger loans).

I'm assuming they go over all that at orientation? I didn't fill out s fafsa this year bc I didn't know if j would be getting in..stupid on my part. I know its too late for state but we have til june for federal right? And I'm assuming lenders won't give out larger loans bc although this is a PA program its through a community college?

The fafsa is needed for all grants, loans, etc. It's just what colleges use to figure out your eligibility. Pell grants have a deadline, yes.... states different than federal, etc. I don't think there is a deadline for loans, though. I had my bachelor's, so I was not eligible for pell grants, so I did not keep track of those deadlines.

We had a lady from financial aid come to the orientation and explain a few things. And yes, you are limited on the amount of loans due to it being a community college.

Ok thanks for the clarification pam. I too unfortunately won't be eligible for the pell grant either then bc I also have a bachelors degree already. I will definitely be looking into other federal loans though before the orientation so I have a better understanding of what I'm going to need.

Archived