Took the PANRE today....

I do know that if everyone that feels this way about the test fails to join the AAPA or another organization at some point someone will listen. The NCCPA is making a lot of money on these tests because PA's wanted to recertify every 6 years. If it costs thousands of PA's money and/or their jobs I'm doubting the NCCPA will continue to recieve any support at all. Everything comes down to financing and where they can squeeze a nickel from. At this point there is no opposing credentialling board. But I believe NP's have two boards and they only have to pass one to be credentialed. Why couldn't PA's do the same, with sane questions meant to assess our knowledge and not mock us? Especially those of us that do work very hard to pass and practice primary care in the manner in which we are supposed to. The NCCPA is not answering questions at this time to people writing, so who are we supposed to talk to about this?

We have more than enough people complaining here on this forum about the test.. Can we all file a petition or something?!?! If the NCCPA was going to change the format/content of the test, why didn't they make a public announcement. As a recent graduate, I was not informed about the change. I had so many questions on my test that were not in the blueprint.

If I have to retake it I may do the adult medicine as I read EKGs and CXRs everyday and studied the heck out of them. I didn't know there was a huge change planned and could have taken my boards in May, but due to having infant twins I thought I would wait til they were old enough to hold their bottles so I could hold a book easier. LOL STUPID ME. Everyone I talked to that took it before June passed. Only three people since. Maybe all the smart PA's are off on an island celebrating chromosomal defects and genetics and walker questions...and the rest of us are left to rot in this miserable process while waiting on results we are pretty sure we already know.

PS-Part of my frustration is that I had to guess on so many questions. I'd rather leave it empty than guess as guessing doesn't evaluate my knowledge. At least if I left it empty I could get an email that says "Hey bonehead...." Now I'll never know what I really know, despite the grade. Ugh. Look on the bright side...I've always wanted a career in the food service industry...

Trace, Coolbeans, I wrote the NCCPA and the AAPA and even referenced this forum. I received a form letter from the NCCPA and NOTHING from the AAPA... We seem to be on our own. I hope everyone who fails or even those that passed but have questions about the content of the test, they write and write and write. Eventually, someone with a conscious in the NCCPA will hopefully look into this. I really have no faith in the AAPA helping us (another reason why I stopped paying my dues to them) I am assuming the AMA could care less about it as well.

The NCCPA and AAPA have been in bed together since I graduated in 1979. The AAPA has never stood up to the NCCPA even when NCCPA took away the right for AAPA to allow members to log their CME with AAPA as part of their AAPA dues. Anyone here old enough to remember that? All you will ever get from NCCPA is a form letter and silence from the AAPA "leadership".

I took the PANRE yesterday - and I agree with all of the comments above. I thought many of the questions had more than one right answer - and some of the questions had NO right answers. One question was in regards to a severely depressed patient refusing to take meds and threatening suicide. The choices were ECT, oral meds, psychotherapy or referral to social services....... Uh..... really???? In my primary care office, the answer to that question is NONE of the above - call the right people and place them on an involuntary admission if they are threatening suicide. Many of the questions were what I considered to be "critical" thinking ones - where you would have to come up with not only the "disease" but know what you were treating it with - AND then answer the question of "What is the side effect of the drug that you would treat this with?"

This is my second PANRE- the first I passed with no issues. Last time and this time I took the review course with CME Resources - and also studied on my own for 6 weeks with practice tests (total of 1000 questions) and other books. According to the practice exams that CME Resources gives each night - I SHOULD score around 650. If I dont score within a reasonable range of that - or I fail - CME Resources will be hearing from me.

I have been looking into going the NP route - this is just one more reason to do this - never having to give my money to NCCPA again.

It's sad but you're not the only one who's said that. I'm looking at getting my PhD in another area and possibly shifting focus. It's unfortunate because I work rural medicine where this is such a shortage but the other two rural PA's in our county (VERY RURAL) are outraged as well just based on what they are reading on here. I've always defended the PA role but the AAPA and NCCPA seem to be the ground that we should stand on..and right now I feel like it's a landslide. Very unfortunately. Even if everyone ends up passing our faith in our "backbone" and societies is well shaken. My NP colleague andvery good friend said the NP's knew of the 'PA challenges ahead' at their last meeting and said it was stated as well that " legislatively speaking NP's are all about action and PA's are all about sitting back and complaining." That is our reputation. Nice.

Got my score today. I stand by the fact that the test did not evaluate proficiency and I felt most of my answers were guesses at best. I did pass with a high margin which I feel is impossible as there were so many questions I had absolutely no knowledge about. I scored high yet had less than 40% of the questions that I knew. I'm not saying I did great to brag as I feel quite the contrary, I'm saying I feel there is an error in scoring and questions. The whole thing does not make sense. I believe the score is just picked out of a hat....

Sorry, I posted this comment to another thread earlier today. I called NCCPA and got the usual write us a letter, e-mail is not acceptable and we don't rescore tests. I took the test Fri PM and had the test results by 8AM today.

I just joined the seemingly long line of those not passing the current PANRE. This was my 5th PANRE passing the previous 4 with no probs. I used the AAPA book, NCCPA practice exams and just general review to prepare. None of this prepared me for the waaaay in depth and zebra questions on the current PANRE. One infectious disease question dealt with a disease in which <50 cases a yr are reported to CDC. I just didn't fail I went down in flames. My score was 52% lower than my score on the 2005 PANRE!!!!

I have to agree with Tayce - I got my score today and scored very very well. Too well. And, like Tayce, I am not saying this to brag - I do feel like there isnt a correlation to my test score and what the break down report is. I feel if someone were to score an 800 (according to the NCCPA is the highest you can score) then the test results should be 100% across the board. The way they are scoring this test is very confusing to me. I will take the score they gave me, but like Tayce, I feel there is a discrepancy of the test results and the actual score they give out.

Okay, I took the PANRE today . . . seriously. I just walked out two hours ago in Seattle and drove home to our island. First, I will say that would have saved myself a lot of heart burn if I had never read these posts. I know we didn't all have the same test and each person has a different perspective. I'm also not boasting that I aced it . . . I don't know, and I could be in the same boat as others who thought they did well but didn't.

So, first of all, in the 240 questions, I didn't see a single one that was bizarre or unanswerable. The test was exactly like the practice test. There were many that I was 100% I got right. Many that I was pretty sure, some I think and a few I had no clue. I think the weakness of this or any test is that it is "textbook" knowledge. I know that many of the questions were asked in a way that I knew in reality I would do things differently than the answer I gave on the test because in reality, diseases don't read the textbook every time.

So, if I got 50 right, I'll be back here *****ing and complaining but for now, it seemed quite fair.

I just spoke with a classmate that said her test consisted of almost all diabetic and pediatric questions, which was convenient as she works in endocrinology and previously was a nurse on a peds unit. She said her questions were so easy they felt tricky. It's all luck of the draw. I don't know what to say except that I wish everyone the best and that I wish I'd bought stock in Tums as I've used cases of them since taking the test. Ugh. The only thing I can come up with is possibly they wrote the test with updated information not yet published in the review books. As for real life we practice different than the books recommend. How often am I going to use EES when everyone that takes it stops on day 3 due to GI distress. As my wonderful step son said after his first spelling test..."I think I got them all right...unless I got them all wrong." Nuff said.

Bobuddy... the correct answer was ECT... as it is a 1st line treatment for psychotic depression and used as 1st line in emergencies (situations where patients can't/won't take oral meds) and actually works very well.

Jmj11... why did you test in Seattle and not Mountlake Terrace...???

Northgate was the closest on the dates I had available.

Bobuddy... the correct answer was ECT... as it is a 1st line treatment for psychotic depression and used as 1st line in emergencies (situations where patients can't/won't take oral meds) and actually works very well.

Contrarian, In Illinois a pt, psychotic, depressed or whatever, has the right to refuse ANY treatment, ...unless they pose an immediate threat to themselves or others. stating they are suicidal is not justification for forced treatment. agitated patients who are immediately dangerous can be given chemical restraint ( hal + ATV), and/or physical restraints.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been posted in two other forums --- sorry for the duplication but we have got to do something about this...... This is in regards to the now admitted error that NCCPA made with scoring

hate to say it...... but it has got to be said.....

those that went from a failing to a passing grade should unite and bring a class action suit against NCCPA

This type of error is unacceptable and their feet should be heald firmly against the fire!

Did anyone not pass and have to stop working? if so they should be entitled to lost wages as well as mental suffering.

Everyone that failed and bought more books or took another review course should be reimbursed 100% for these expenses AND nccpa should be made to pay for their mistake..... this is just unimaginable that this would happen - imagine what would happen if this occured with the USMLE! We need to be outragged!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived