The Lighter Side of PubMed

Guest TerryF

Things like this just reveal some of the warped trends in our society. It is a shame that so-called educated people fall prey to such ideologies. I'm certainly glad happy people don't know they are unstable.

TerryF

Guest TerryF

Things like this just reveal some of the warped trends in our society. It is a shame that so-called educated people fall prey to such ideologies. I'm certainly glad happy people don't know they are unstable.

TerryF

TerryF

I don't think it is fair to call this warped just because happiness is positively valued in our society. This article highlights the fact that abnormal psychology is very much a function of time period/place/cultural context. If the majority of people in a population are not happy, happiness is an outlier and technically could be considered abnormal.

TerryF

I don't think it is fair to call this warped just because happiness is positively valued in our society. This article highlights the fact that abnormal psychology is very much a function of time period/place/cultural context. If the majority of people in a population are not happy, happiness is an outlier and technically could be considered abnormal.

Guest TerryF

andersenpa thinks the idea is hilarious.

The writer of the article is Richard P Bentall PhD from the British Isles.

Here is his own abstract:

"It is proposed that happiness be classified as a psychiatric disorder and be included in future editions of the major diagnostic manuals under the new name: major affective disorder, pleasant type. In a review of the relevant literature it is shown that happiness is statistically abnormal, consists of a discrete cluster of symptoms, is associated with a range of cognitive abnormalities, and probably reflects the abnormal functioning of the central nervous system. One possible objection to this proposal remains--that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant."

Here is the whole article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1376114/?tool=pubmed

WADR, the concept is warped, imho.

TerryF

Guest TerryF

andersenpa thinks the idea is hilarious.

The writer of the article is Richard P Bentall PhD from the British Isles.

Here is his own abstract:

"It is proposed that happiness be classified as a psychiatric disorder and be included in future editions of the major diagnostic manuals under the new name: major affective disorder, pleasant type. In a review of the relevant literature it is shown that happiness is statistically abnormal, consists of a discrete cluster of symptoms, is associated with a range of cognitive abnormalities, and probably reflects the abnormal functioning of the central nervous system. One possible objection to this proposal remains--that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant."

Here is the whole article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1376114/?tool=pubmed

WADR, the concept is warped, imho.

TerryF

Guest TerryF

Dr Bentall needs to get a real job. I went over and read his abstract. That study on yo-yo infuries is a joke.

I find it hard to believe a grown man with his "education" would put out such "professional literature".

I guess it's whatever trips one's trigger that counts. I wonder if he's "stable".

TerryF

Guest TerryF

Dr Bentall needs to get a real job. I went over and read his abstract. That study on yo-yo infuries is a joke.

I find it hard to believe a grown man with his "education" would put out such "professional literature".

I guess it's whatever trips one's trigger that counts. I wonder if he's "stable".

TerryF

I know the author of this groundbreaking study on a review of the world's literature on yo-yo injuries(written as an example of how to do a pubmed search to create a retrospective study):

http://journals.lww.com/pec-online/Abstract/2004/06000/Yo_Yo_Injuries.5.aspx

Excellent addition to what I hope will be a growing thread of amusement.

I know the author of this groundbreaking study on a review of the world's literature on yo-yo injuries(written as an example of how to do a pubmed search to create a retrospective study):

http://journals.lww.com/pec-online/Abstract/2004/06000/Yo_Yo_Injuries.5.aspx

Excellent addition to what I hope will be a growing thread of amusement.

I've been in a journal club for years and once in a while someone in our group comes up with some ridiculous published article.

AND, we'll dissect it with the utmost seriousness. Such as this particular one:

The efficacy of stethoscope placement when not in use: traditional versus "cool".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80581/?tool=pmcentrez

This is epic. Great sense of humor thoughout. Don't forget to read the acknowledgments! Hilarious find......

I've been in a journal club for years and once in a while someone in our group comes up with some ridiculous published article.

AND, we'll dissect it with the utmost seriousness. Such as this particular one:

The efficacy of stethoscope placement when not in use: traditional versus "cool".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80581/?tool=pmcentrez

You just about owed me a new laptop screen...and a coffee. Reminds me of an article I was working on to submit to the NEJM - "C.R.I.S. (Cranio-Rectal Insertion Syndrome) in Millitary College Students and Graduates". These dudes can't say they didn't do any research or publish while in residency...

SK

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14684649

One of my all-time favorite papers: Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials

Great parody of the hardcore EBM advocates :)

omg, this is the best one yet. And add to the fact that the first author (Smith) is from the Dep't of OBGYN studying gravitational challenges.

Best quote: "It is often said that doctors are interfering monsters obsessed with disease and power, who will not be satisfied until they control every aspect of our lives (Journal of Social Science, pick a volume)" -GCS Smith, 2003

Oh, I'm never going to finish my PA applications!!!

Silly PubMed.

Archived