How does CASPA know if courses are taken online?

I want to apply to a PA program but work overseas and want to take a few prerequisite classes online. A few schools do not take online courses but the schools I have looked at are reputable universities. I have taken online courses in the past and it is no different than other courses and does not show up on my transcript as an online course. I have already completed a B.A. degree (non-science) and teach overseas to learn a foreign language. I need just 2-3 science pre-reqs and I would rather not want to miss a class cycle because I believe what I am do will only make me a better candidate and future PA.

Any suggestions on what is a good accredited University to attend is ??? Also, has anybody had online courses approved from CASPA?

red rocks, south florida ,NMJC etc..

Thank you all,

I want to apply to a PA program but work overseas and want to take a few prerequisite classes online. A few schools do not take online courses but the schools I have looked at are reputable universities. I have taken online courses in the past and it is no different than other courses and does not show up on my transcript as an online course. I have already completed a B.A. degree (non-science) and teach overseas to learn a foreign language. I need just 2-3 science pre-reqs and I would rather not want to miss a class cycle because I believe what I am do will only make me a better candidate and future PA.

Any suggestions on what is a good accredited University to attend is ??? Also, has anybody had online courses approved from CASPA?

red rocks, south florida ,NMJC etc..

Thank you all,

If you are working/living in (insert foreign location here) but your transcript says (insert stateside college here) the adcoms will know you took the course online so you can't get away with just not clicking the box for online classes. You should call the PA programs you would like to attend and explain your situation to see if they might grant you a waiver of some kind.

UC Berkeley offers a lot of online courses, including upper level biology. There is an entire thread titled "Online classes...." so you should search there to get a better idea of what is out there.

If you are working/living in (insert foreign location here) but your transcript says (insert stateside college here) the adcoms will know you took the course online so you can't get away with just not clicking the box for online classes. You should call the PA programs you would like to attend and explain your situation to see if they might grant you a waiver of some kind.

UC Berkeley offers a lot of online courses, including upper level biology. There is an entire thread titled "Online classes...." so you should search there to get a better idea of what is out there.

I agree I do not think it should be an issue if the course is accredited but many schools have restrictions on online courses. thank you all so much for your responses. I am not trying to "Lie" to anyone FYI, just not lose a year of eligibility because I am overseas learning a new language, which only makes me more competitive.

GB and good luck to all,

MG

I agree I do not think it should be an issue if the course is accredited but many schools have restrictions on online courses. thank you all so much for your responses. I am not trying to "Lie" to anyone FYI, just not lose a year of eligibility because I am overseas learning a new language, which only makes me more competitive.

GB and good luck to all,

MG

It really comes down to how the PA programs feel; I know from my time in admissions PA programs wish transcripts listed which courses were online or not, as it does matter to a lot of admissions committees, especially if those courses required lab work. There are some adcoms which will not count online courses, period, where others allow them from certain programs they happen to know are good. On CASPA, the ability to designate a course as online is a recent addition, and both CASPA and the programs need to, for the most part, take the applicant's word for it since the transcripts most often to not indicate a course's online status. That doesn't mean, however, they won't find out later. Best thing to do is be up front about which courses are taken online and check with your PA programs to ensure they are acceptable. They may even be able to recommend a good online program.

It really comes down to how the PA programs feel; I know from my time in admissions PA programs wish transcripts listed which courses were online or not, as it does matter to a lot of admissions committees, especially if those courses required lab work. There are some adcoms which will not count online courses, period, where others allow them from certain programs they happen to know are good. On CASPA, the ability to designate a course as online is a recent addition, and both CASPA and the programs need to, for the most part, take the applicant's word for it since the transcripts most often to not indicate a course's online status. That doesn't mean, however, they won't find out later. Best thing to do is be up front about which courses are taken online and check with your PA programs to ensure they are acceptable. They may even be able to recommend a good online program.

• 2 years later...

Archived