Dermatology Picture of the day

I cannot figure this out for the life of me..

My patient is a 27 year old female. Has a rash on her left forearm, left thigh and medial and later parts of her heels. It's red, papular shaped, and does not itch. She is not using any Antibiotics. She was using a new soap, but has stopped, and the rash is still appearing in new spots now up her left arm and near her left knee (See attached pictures). No ticks were found, and she is not sexually active.

Diagnosis? Thoughts? She has tried triamcinolone with some results.

post-27888-137934850396_thumb.jpg

post-27888-1379348504_thumb.jpg

post-27888-137934850403_thumb.jpg

post-27888-137934850406_thumb.jpg

is is spreading to the plams and soles?

any change with antihistamines?

what time of year did it first appear?

It's not spreading to the palms or the soles. It is just on the lateral and medial parts of the heels. She hasn't tried any antihistamines. It first appeared 4th of july weekend. She had not gone swimming in any oceans/lakes that weekend or prior to the rash. She is on no meds, and NKA.

is is spreading to the plams and soles?

any change with antihistamines?

what time of year did it first appear?

It's not spreading to the palms or the soles. It is just on the lateral and medial parts of the heels. She hasn't tried any antihistamines. It first appeared 4th of july weekend. She had not gone swimming in any oceans/lakes that weekend or prior to the rash. She is on no meds, and NKA.

It could be poison ivy or related toxic exposure, but it's not a great story.

It looks kind of like the begining of dyshidrotic eczema, but without spread to the palms and/or soles that isn't a great fit either.

If it was dyshidrotic eczema it might respond to oral/otc antihistamines and definately should respond to a more potent topical corticosteriod (ie clobetasol).

Those are my only real thoughts...derm is NOT something I have much experience with. I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that it's not sepsis or small/chicken/monkeypox.

It could be poison ivy or related toxic exposure, but it's not a great story.

It looks kind of like the begining of dyshidrotic eczema, but without spread to the palms and/or soles that isn't a great fit either.

If it was dyshidrotic eczema it might respond to oral/otc antihistamines and definately should respond to a more potent topical corticosteriod (ie clobetasol).

Those are my only real thoughts...derm is NOT something I have much experience with. I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that it's not sepsis or small/chicken/monkeypox.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Looks like insect bites, i would have mesquito and bed bug on my differential. Family/household members have it? only on exposed body surface? looks like insect bites

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, as for the people wondering...it was dx as atypical PR. The patient was given a dose of kenalog, and she cleared up a week after....this was after having the rash for 6 weeks.

Contact dermatitis was r/o due to no itching as well with bed bugs.

Atypical pityriasis rosea? Sure doesn't look like it.. Wrong distribution, wrong rash characteristics: seems papular and not at all papulosquamous. Wrong season.

And, as far as I know, steroids do little if anything to pr.

What were your diagnostic criterion for making the dx?

Aprill11 or Banuchi? What do you think?

Archived