Dermatology Picture of the day

I have used Mederma with some success but that stuff's hella expensive, especially if you're covering a sizeable area. I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to be as commonly available as it used to be on store shelves? Vitamin E and Coconut Oil-based lotions also seem to work well for lightening and softening the area and are much more affordable. Haven't tried the Bio-Oil stuff a few drugstore have been touting.

Silicone sheeting is also pretty cool but once again, cost is a factor.

This is somewhat related to this thread so thought I would ask. What's the best way to get rid of scars? Vit E or Aloe plant? Thanks.

Hypertrophic/keloid or just a different pigment? What caused the original insult? How old is the scar? Where is it located? What expectation does the patient have?

when I worked Plastics I was told a scar was mature after 18 months. After that time it will take another surgical procedure such as a z-plasty to turn the scar into a line more parallel to body contours. Before that time you can consider Vit E oil AND scar massage... Actually massaging the scar in a linear pattern with Vit E for 5 minutes at a time, two or three times a day for a few months. Kenelog intradermal may help.

Your mileage may vary

• 3 weeks later...

I was not the one to make the dx. I am just relaying the message and wanted to get everyone's input. Most people scratched their heads at this rash for the way it was distributed, how it looked, and how it did not have any other sx's ie itching. The patient saw two physicians one ER doc and one dermatologist and both came up with atypical PR on separate occasions. While the pt did take Kenalog, and it did clear up soon after her rash, it did get worse before it cleared. It started spreading to her legs and abdomen..but clearance may have just been on coincidence due to the rash already being there for 6 weeks and not due to the kenalog.

• 5 months later...

one question arises after watching the pictures what is the dermatology ?and is its answer is the simple, It is the branch of the medicine deals with the skin and all its basic diseases.It has two parts specialty with

general medical and surgical aspects.All the skin diseases are the superficial not from the inner side but rare and skin treatment is much lengthy.

akele7, I don't have a clue as to the origin though based on distribution I would have suspected contact/infestation origin if it had been associated with pruritus. I DO appreciate your enlightened last observation regarding the Kenalog and symptom resolution, and I think most of us fail to take this into account from time to time. We did "x" and "y" went away, thus "x" fixed the problem, and as you so appropriately pointed out; maybe, maybe not. This is a perfect potential example of the differences between "association" and "causation". It'll be interesting to see if it reoccurs.

• 9 months later...

Archived