best stethoscope(starter)

I couldn't be happier with my Welch Allyn Harvey Elite. Classmates have asked to use it when they couldn't hear anything with their Littmans :D. You definitely don't want to bang it into anything when you've got the earpieces in.

Hey Heme I have a Harvey too as a gift from an old boss. I havent used it much lately, last time was in Indonesia during tsunami relief mission, nowadays my cheapo 12 dollar one works fine for BP/s and some auscultating. I plan on using the heck out of it in PA school though I like it except the tube is too short-forces you to put in your lab coat pocket but the sound amplitude is excellent!!!

So I am graduating in a few months and I would like a better stethoscope. I have the classic II SE, but feel that it isn't good enough. I have been debating between the cardiology III and the master cardiology. You see, I am not interested in pediatrics and that is why I am not sure if I want the card. III that has the pediatric head. I feel like it is a waste if I won't use it. What do you guys think? Does anyone have the master cardiology?

Hey Heme I have a Harvey too as a gift from an old boss. I havent used it much lately, last time was in Indonesia during tsunami relief mission, nowadays my cheapo 12 dollar one works fine for BP/s and some auscultating. I plan on using the heck out of it in PA school though I like it except the tube is too short-forces you to put in your lab coat pocket but the sound amplitude is excellent!!!

I actually don't mind the short tube (I just keep it clasped around my neck as I'm working), altho I think they make a longer one now. It feels close to me, I like it.

• 2 years later...

Get a Littman Cardiology III with the shortest tube you can use comfortably. (I never wear mine around my neck - I know someone that was choked by a patient.) Use the included parts to make the pediatric side into a real bell. Spray it with some Armor All and never leave it in a hot car on a summer day.

Then get this book so you can learn how to use it:

http://tinyurl.com/<WBR>HeartSoundsBook

I got a Littman Cardiology III.

A rep from Littman and Welch came to our class and did a presentation. It was pretty crazy because the guy from Welch didn't even try to compete on the stethoscopes. We would have listened - he had a captive audience eager to get the best equipment possible - but he basically told us to get Littmans and then tried to sell us his ophthalmoscopes and otoscopes. I found it very odd. He surely would have gotten some sales out of it if he'd bothered with the marketing effort.

On the flip side, his were the only eye/ear gear available so he made a killing there...

• 4 weeks later...

As an RT for the past 20 years, Littman products have been my main stay for stethoscopes. I have just been accepted in a PA program and my LITTMAN Cardiology III will serve me well. This not just for the quality of tones, one can hear, but the ear pieces are the best. When one has to repeatedly place something into the ear they get sore. Littmans tend to be easier on the ear canal. Anyone who has had a sore ear canal knows sticking an ear piece of any kind hurts like crazy. This is just my humble opinion...but Littmans are worth their money..they out last any other.....and a super present if you need an idea. Good luck ;) Oh, and Nurse Jackie as with all of the staff on that show seem to have Littamns hanging around their necks! lol

Archived