best stethoscope(starter)

Guest LIVNLEARN

I'm using Littman's Cardiology III. I used it during the didactic and am using the heck out of it on rotation. I love it. It wasn't cheap, but I'm glad I made the investment.:)

It was recommended for us to get the littman cardiology III. I tried it out along with two welch allyn stethoscopes (at independent retailers). The welch allyn worked best for me (cardiology grade, made with brass). I was dead set on littman but kept an open mind. I would advise getting a great quality stethoscope and something YOU are comfortable with. Its something you will use throughout your career.

Guest AZReam

There are sensibly priced alternatives to Littmann - search for Trimline/DRG's PureTone and Symphony models, Riester's cardiophon, and various offerings from MDF.

If buying online, look for free shipping offers other freebies!

Guest Jbraman

Nurse Jackie is using a thinklab steth. I'm not sure what Hawthorne uses, I can't find a good image with her using one yet (I'm not going to watch the show just to find out what she uses!).

I didn't even see Hawthorne use a stethoscope.... But I don't think she needs one.

She can tell that when a person falls down, they're hemorrhaging just by sight... and then she can assemble a orderly team to put that same person on a gurney in under 5 seconds....stat.

Guest Jbraman

Negative, she's using a thinklab. Look at the symbol on the back of the stethoscope in the first picture.

http://thefameflame.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/nurse-jackie.jpg

and compare it to the symbol for thinklab

http://www.thinklabsdirect.com/id2/

also, thinklab proudly touts her using their scope

http://www.thinklabsmedical.com/

Nurse Jackie is way advanced to be using a "standard" stethoscope. If she had a normal scope she'd just be a nurse, but with the ds32a, she's Nurse "I keep this place running" Jackie

Personally Ive tried cardiology III and I ended up buying prestige cardiology which worked just as good for me and A LOT cheaper.

Me too! I love my Prestige! It's totally a cheap-o knock-off, but I can hear a lot better than I did with my old Littman. (But that could be because I used my Littman on the back of a diesel-engine ambulance with sirens blaring! ;))

My classmates often ask to borrow my Prestige, too. It was about $80 on Amazon, and came with a pedi diaphragm too.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a kit from someone who had to drop out of chiropractic school and never used theirs. Got an amazing deal on a brand new panoptic ophthalmoscope with the lithium battery, the welch allyn classic sphygmo with the four cuffs, tons of other equipment for like half off. the problem was that after reading this forum I had originally had my heart set on a littman cardio III and now i'm bummed b/c the kit i got has a welch allyn harvey DLX. should I opt for trying to sell the harvey DLX, getting my money back and buying the littman cardio III or should I just take the harvey dlx and be happy? it's just as expensive as the littman and is cardio grade, doubled tubed, etc etc, meets all the requirements they ask us to have. anybody have any experience with it? recommendations?

Archived