Ph.D after finishing PA program

Hello, I am currently in the application process with my first school (uk) deadline approaching next week. Everything is in.... And I'm pretty proud of most of my scores. I hope to specialize in neuro. Eventually, though, I would like to teach at a program. I was wondering what do PAs normally get a Ph.D in? I was thinking that a neuroscience doctorate would be my route of choice. Would this interfere with teaching in a PA program?

I know this is good ways down the line. Thanks for any comments! -Zach

I guess that I didn't think about a lab based degree taking up time as a PA. I guess what I am saying is that I want to be able to practice as a PA, while teaching either PA classes or something that pertains to my interest in neuro. I don't want being a PA to be my ladder to professional career in research..... But you never know where

Roads will lead to in 20 years.

have you thought about working as a neuro PA and being a preceptor?

I guess that I didn't think about a lab based degree taking up time as a PA. I guess what I am saying is that I want to be able to practice as a PA, while teaching either PA classes or something that pertains to my interest in neuro. I don't want being a PA to be my ladder to professional career in research..... But you never know where

Roads will lead to in 20 years.

After completing PA school...

Obtaining a Doctorate in Anatomy or Physiology should do the trick.

Here you could subspecialize in Neuro-Anatomy and/or Physiology.

This would also allow you to teach A&P to MD/DO med-students, PA students, Nursing Students, etc... work clinically as a PA and precept PA students.

Obtaining a Doctorate in Anatomy or Physiology should do the trick.

Here you could subspecialize in Neuro-Anatomy and/or Physiology.

This would also allow you to teach A&P to MD/DO med-students, PA students, Nursing Students, etc.

Wow, I would love to get a Doctorate in Physiology ... hmmmmmmmmm ...

Guest guthriesm

You may not need the PhD- most of my program is taught by PA-Cs (terminal degree) and one MD. One of the PA-Cs just finished her EdD but she is the assistant director.

You may not need the PhD- most of my program is taught by PA-Cs (terminal degree) and one MD. One of the PA-Cs just finished her EdD but she is the assistant director.

that's today....

look at the want ads for pa faculty...most now say "masters required, doctorate preferred"....10 yrs ago they said bs required, ms preferred.....

I am also curious the value of a doctorate as I am just starting a PA program that gives a B.S. in PA. I already hold a Masters degree in physiology and therefore have debated the future need for another Masters in PA. If I decide to continue my education after graduating from my PA program in 2013, I will likely explore the doctoral route as I enjoy academia. Many have mentioned the online program for a Masters degree in PA at A.T. Still University, however after doing some exploring into this option, I see they also have an online Doctor of Health Education program which is more appealing to me.

Does anyone have any feedback on this program or going for the PhD after receiving a B.S. in Physician Assistant?

http://www.atsu.edu/shm/online_programs/doctor_health_education/index.htm.

Hello, I am currently in the application process with my first school (uk) deadline approaching next week. Everything is in.... And I'm pretty proud of most of my scores. I hope to specialize in neuro. Eventually, though, I would like to teach at a program. I was wondering what do PAs normally get a Ph.D in? I was thinking that a neuroscience doctorate would be my route of choice. Would this interfere with teaching in a PA program?

I know this is good ways down the line. Thanks for any comments! -Zach

Hi Zach,

I am a UK PA grad and I am also aiming to take a PhD in the near future. I will start an MSc in Health Science in September to top-up my post grad diploma in PA studies, thankfully I can transfer credit to cut down the time it takes.

I have a couple of pieces of advice, for what they are worth.

1) I am just mirroring what somebody here has already said, but choose a topic you really enjoy and are passionate about and will keep you working at it when you are working full time and utterly knackered. In the UK we are such a new profession that we can choose what we want a PhD in and forge a career around it. Don't be afraid to be adventurous.

2) I can say from experience that the UK post grad diplomas are so focused on teaching us the medicine (rightly so in my opinion) that we therefore don't get any research training or statistics etc. So if you can top-up your PG Dip to an MSc and gain research training and experience (I.e. the writing of a thesis) before you embark on a PhD, that will hold you in very good stead.

3) if you don't want to be in a lab, try. Clinically focussed PhD. The NHS has a research aspect in virtually every hospital and can tell you who is doing what research in their hospital. Personally, although I have some ideas of what I would like to do I will explore what research is being conducted in my first ED (my first job starting in two weeks) and if there is a gap that I could fill in the research or if other opportunities evolve out of them.

I hope that isn't too long winded!?

Which courses have you applied to? Good luck with the applications.

Neil

Hi Zach,

I am a UK PA grad and I am also aiming to take a PhD in the near future. I will start an MSc in Health Science in September to top-up my post grad diploma in PA studies, thankfully I can transfer credit to cut down the time it takes.

I have a couple of pieces of advice, for what they are worth.

1) I am just mirroring what somebody here has already said, but choose a topic you really enjoy and are passionate about and will keep you working at it when you are working full time and utterly knackered. In the UK we are such a new profession that we can choose what we want a PhD in and forge a career around it. Don't be afraid to be adventurous.

2) I can say from experience that the UK post grad diplomas are so focused on teaching us the medicine (rightly so in my opinion) that we therefore don't get any research training or statistics etc. So if you can top-up your PG Dip to an MSc and gain research training and experience (I.e. the writing of a thesis) before you embark on a PhD, that will hold you in very good stead.

3) if you don't want to be in a lab, try. Clinically focussed PhD. The NHS has a research aspect in virtually every hospital and can tell you who is doing what research in their hospital. Personally, although I have some ideas of what I would like to do I will explore what research is being conducted in my first ED (my first job starting in two weeks) and if there is a gap that I could fill in the research or if other opportunities evolve out of them.

I hope that isn't too long winded!?

Which courses have you applied to? Good luck with the applications.

Neil

Sorry... I guess that I should have specified meaning that my first choice is University of Kentucky (UK), not United Kingdom (UK). I'm also applying to Kettering College in Dayton, Ohio... and possibly UAB, assuming that their university will recover from the tornado from last month. Still, if I am accepted at UK (should know in September), then I will not even finish any of the paperwork at the other schools. UK is close to my home, well respected, and I feel welcomed by the few professors that I have met. My wife should be able to find a job easily in Lexington as a COTA, which will make our lives easier whilst I'm in school.

Eventually, I would like to be able to teach at either the graduate level or teach pre-med classes while working as a PA. I am very close with one of my professors that owns a dental practice, which he is at for 2 twelve hour shifts per week, teaches many of the advanced bio classes full-time, teaches hebrew, greek, and latin on the side, along with being a husband and father. So, I know that it is possible to split time between all of your dreams. In the same light, I would like to teach part-time, work full-time, be a husband and eventually a father while also entertaining my hobbies of working on cars, playing music, and working on houses. I know that it can and will be done... I just have to find my path. Thank you for the needed insight everyone!

Archived