EM Reference Books

pocket tarascon pharmacopeia

either sanfords infectious dz or em residents abx guide

for the library: tintinnali emergency medicine, minor injuries splinters to fractures, essentials of musculoskeletal care, radiology of emergency medicine, definitely should have an em procedures book and consider a regional block atlas, color atlas of dermatology is good as well.

roberts and hedges "clinical procedures in emergency medicine" , hands down the bomb.. virtually step by step for every procedure done in ed.

as I am now more electronic than text, this book is the only book that i still use.

UpToDate man, UpToDate.

else emed's recommendations are spot on

+1 on Roberts and Hedges; it's a fantastic reference. It's also available on MDConsult if you or your hospital subscribe to that site.

I'd also suggest picking up an emergency ultrasound textbook if you'll be making a lot of use of ultrasound in your ED. It's a fantastic tool, and you would be doing yourself a big favor by getting familiar with at least the basic studies (FAST, OB, RUQ, vascular access, etc).

go used. basics are basics.

agree with med/25: get you an ultrasound course.. learn how to do many of the invasive procedures under u/s guidance. I do not use it, but many of the new programs teach it and a lot of hospitals and proceduralists are making it (u/s guidance) the "standard"

re: u/s, I still am not using it much but know that I need to improve my skills so will be taking an em u/s course in the next yr or 2. we have a portable sonosite unit when I go to Haiti which I use for mostly ob stuff ( is there an obvious IUP?, what is the position of the baby in a third trimester pt?, etc), and to eval for aortic aneurysm( is the aorta wider than the vertebral bodies?). have also used u/s to look at extremity fxs as we don't have xray in Haiti. actually works pretty well for this.

I work with a pa who used to be an u/s tech. great skill to have.he does his own fast, gb's, vascular access, etc. we work on base pay + production and he has the highest production in the group due to the # of u/s guided procedures he can do(like u/s guided deep abscess drainage, etc)

Rosens is the bible.. Peter Rosen single handedly created academic emergency medicine at Colorado. Judith tintinelli figured out that letting her senior residents research and write slightly more practical chapters without as much esoterica as Rosen would do a couple things.. Make her book famous for being essentially cliff notes to rosens ( now principally edited by John Marx at Carolina medical center!) .. And make her a defacto expert in Ed medicine based entirely on the research and work of her residents. Tintinelli is an easier book to tote than rosens, just as baby tintinelli is easier yet.

In short, rosens is the gold stand, which explains the solid pathophysiology and detailsv"why" things are done. Tintinelli is the crib notes. You pass the resident quizzes with tintinelli. You pass the EM Boards with rosens.

Ha!!

He sat at the foot of god! (small g for you fellow baptists)

he considers himself a "sell out" because he was the only one who went to work right away in em and didn't become an em residency director. when he moved to my state he was the only em residency trained doc in the state. he started an em group that is widely considered "THE place to work" in our state for em docs.

• 8 months later...

Archived