Best states/quickest to obtain a license for new grad

Hello,

I am in PA school now, and looking for states to possibly practice in. It has been mentioned that some states will hire you and the jobs may say "must obtain license in X amount of months". Others need you to be fully licensed before you get hired. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this. The ones that list license must be obtained in a certain amount of months tend to be hospitals, but maybe this is due to a longer orientation process so they are okay with you not having a license right away. Some states say they offer temporary license, which I suppose will allow you to practice after you take the PANCE and you can get that quicker?

Thanks!

You already figured out the reason - if an employer is going to have you seeing patients immediately then you obviously need a license.

I was hired by a hospital and ended up getting a temporary license for a little while before my permanent license was approved. It had to do with the timing of my application and the medical board meetings.

• Administrator

I had my permanent Washington license the day my PANCE scores came out.  The reason? 1) I filed and paid in advance, 2) I was already an active EMT, so the state DOH waived my background check since I'd already been through one, and 3) my program wasn't slow in getting the program director's attestation.

I had my license in NC the day after PANCE scores were released. I turned in everything and paid months before my graduation and exam. My program was also super quick on the attestation. My classmates that moved to TX were not that fortunate- their licenses took months....but they make a lot more $$$ than I do!

When I graduated eons ago in Texas - we didn't have licenses, we were registered - kind of like convicts…...

Then they started licensing and it took about 3 months with fingerprints, etc.

I moved to Washington state 20 years ago and it took another 90 days. Only 2 women process the PA licenses and the one with my part of the alphabet has some issues - like being cranky. I was told NOT to call her - EVER - or she would take my app and put it on the bottom of the pile. I bet she did because I called before not being told not to…...

Now, I changed jobs and the state of Washington REJECTED my new app - 1. the new doc is a DO and for some reason that requires a totally new app and recreating the fricking wheel…. 2. The alternate doc signed on the wrong line and we had to reapply completely with new paperwork, new signatures and new dates - no white out or initialing or redating allowed.

I have been in the same state for 20 years, I have a DEA, NPI, UPIN, L&I, Medicare and Medicaid numbers not to mention fingerprints in 2 states and background checks through everyone including the State Patrol in order to work as a soccer coach. 

I am one of the most traceable people on the planet and I don't EVEN have a Facebook page or LinkedIn.

It is time to stop the state by state chaos and start a national system of registry and mapping. The DEA didn't give me one ounce of grief about changing practices but the state is being a gigantic pain in the arse.

New grad licensure should be part of school and end with the PANCE.

If meaningful use can be such a required pain then licensure can follow suit and become more detailed and mutable.

Time for change!

My very old 2 cents…...

Got hired 4 months before graduation. Graduated, took boards then I left on vacation for 2 weeks. The good word on boards came in the e-mail in 1 week.

Returned from vacation and started  work. License, DEA, malpractice policy and credentialing took about 4 weeks. I spent those weeks orienting, shadowing, training on EMR, Billing...

Saw my first patient less than 1 month before my 1 month anniversary at this practice.

The fees... Well, they are what they are.

DEA- $731 -for 3 years

Virginia License $135 per year

You can't play if you don't pay...

• Administrator
Now, I changed jobs and the state of Washington REJECTED my new app - 1. the new doc is a DO and for some reason that requires a totally new app and recreating the fricking wheel…. 2. The alternate doc signed on the wrong line and we had to reapply completely with new paperwork, new signatures and new dates - no white out or initialing or redating allowed.

I have been in the same state for 20 years, I have a DEA, NPI, UPIN, L&I, Medicare and Medicaid numbers not to mention fingerprints in 2 states and background checks through everyone including the State Patrol in order to work as a soccer coach.

You didn't even know that Washington has both Osteopathic and Allopathic PAs? If your primary SP is a DO, you need an osteopathic PA license, if MD then allopathic PA license.  Two licenses, two separate governing boards.  You can hold both, but that's separate fees, etc.

Oh, and your L&I number?  You need a new one every time you switch jobs, and THAT will take months. That, at least, is not DOH's problem.

Until this job change I did NOT know there was a DO/MD licensing difference in Washington and am baffled by it. What a waste of resources and money to have 2 diff boards and apps and all that comes with that.

It was the DO app they rejected because something wasn't on the right line and - catch this - I did not handwrite something or use a TYPEWRITER. We filled the form out using Adobe writer and sent it as a fax like the rest of the flipping app.

What a complete waste of time!!

Archived