Anyone feel like they did bad on the interview and got in?

I did my first interview last weekend and didn't come out of it confidently. I feel like there were some situational questions I didn't answer well. And, I was wondering if anyone has been accepted from an interview, they feel they tanked or felt they could have put more effort. Thank you!

Well, I haven't applied to PA school yet as I'm still working on my pre-req's, so take this for what it's worth...I'm currently a police officer and have worked at several places.  On one of my interviews, it was a panel with three people, which is normal.  I had done several panel interviews before, but I walked out of this interview feeling absolutely horrible.  I felt like I did terrible and they asked really confusing questions and I was not confident in myself at all.  The next day, I received an email saying I had passed the interview and scored #1 out of all the applicants and ended up getting the job.  So, sometimes we are our own worst critic.  Sometimes we may think we did worse than we really did.  Not sure if that gives you any hope, but until you hear otherwise, you never know.

I had to pull my car over on the drive home from my first interview because I was crying so hard I was a danger to myself and everyone else on the road. I was convinced I had tanked it and ruined all my chances.

Got my acceptance email a week and a half later, graduated two years ago.

Only you know how realistic you are about your own performance - you might have tanked, but you might also just feel like you tanked.

Only you know how realistic you are about your own performance - you might have tanked, but you might also just feel like you tanked.

This. I had a similar experience to greenmood and was also accepted. You are your own worst critic, but you also have the most reasonable idea of how well you performed.

Best advice I can offer: Keep pressing forward. Think about what you would change for the next interview, how you'll get your next interview, what you'll improve if you don't get in this year, etc. 

I did my first interview last weekend and didn't come out of it confidently. I feel like there were some situational questions I didn't answer well. And, I was wondering if anyone has been accepted from an interview, they feel they tanked or felt they could have put more effort. Thank you!

I won't name the university but their interview consisted of literally just 2 or three questions then opened the discussion for my own questions (of which i had some of course). However in the end I thought they would go a little more in-depth in surveying my character and because of this I didn't feel like I had the opportunity to fully display all of my positive traits/abilities that i felt would contribute to their incoming class as a whole. After the fact I thought of multiple things I wish I had said in order to showcase my profile a bit more. Felt down about it but brushed it off. 

The next day I got a phone call that I was accepted. Moral of the story, I think you probably did fine but in the future make sure you have prepared yourself mentally for a variety of situational questions that not only discuss the scenario but also include in your story how you handled the situation, what you learned from it and how you have applied that knowledge since and you won't leave interviews feeling like you tanked. 

Good luck.

This was me after leaving my first interview (which was also my first choice). I felt like I missed a lot of opportunities for expanding my answers and felt as though I was talking a mile a minute. Ended up getting accepted. But even if you are not accepted, just take it as a learning experience for the next interview. Practice is key for interviews.

Expanding your answers while you are talking a mile a minute wouldn't have been a good idea. You do not have to do a brain dump when asked a question; be genuine, be direct, and let the interviewer ask you if they want to know more about something.

And take off the saddle and quit riding yourself so much!

One of the programs I interviewed at I thought when leaving the interview "There is no way this program is going to offer me acceptance." During my individual interview in front of the panel of 3, one of the faculty laughed at my answer for one of the questions. I ended up getting an acceptance call 2 weeks later. I decided to attend another program, but that showed me that I didn't do as bad as I thought I did. Good luck!

• Administrator

The program I was accepted to was 4th out of 5 interviews.  I know where I screwed up in interviews 1 and 2, I was waitlisted on interview 3, and I could really tell I nailed interview 4.  There's definitely a rhythm to interviewing, even though every school does it differently.  My experience was different, in that I've interviewed for jobs and been an interviewer for many other positions.

• Administrator

During my individual interview in front of the panel of 3, one of the faculty laughed at my answer for one of the questions. I ended up getting an acceptance call 2 weeks later. I decided to attend another program, but that showed me that I didn't do as bad as I thought I did. Good luck!

Let me guess... one of the panelists just stared at you, one was looking away and hostile, and the third one seemed sympathetic?

I wouldn't have accepted an invite from any school that plays games like that--especially trite and hackneyed games--with their interviews.

Archived