Microbiology Pre-Req

Emails schools first to check, but my bet would be that it won't count.  Some schools go into very detailed descriptions of what the pre-reqs should entail and usually for micro they want general micro (with lab) - gram stains, cultures, the different families of bacteria, etc.  I say this as a micro major who took pretty much every micro class possible, and my microbial genetics was nothing like general micro.

But it can't hurt to check with the schools that require it to be sure.  If you do need to take it - or if it's only a few schools maybe give them up? - try and find a place to take it in person.  Usually lab is required and often online labs don't count.

I agree with MT2PA. Email the schools first with a copy of the syllabus and see if they will accept it. If not, I'd assume they want a general microbio course so I would ask them if they require an in-person lab (about half the schools I looked at do). Then you can go from there and try to find a class near you. Also ask the schools if they'd accept a micro course from a community college where it'd be much cheaper for you (every school I emailed about that said it was fine).

Good luck! I had to retake micro this summer because in undergrad I only took the lecture but not the lab so I understand how annoying this process can be. :)

Thank you both for your responses!

Though admittedly not the answer I was hoping for, you're right. I spoke to one school this morning and they confirmed that the topics covered in Microbial Genetics are not broad enough to fulfill the requirement. I'll be enrolling in the Microbiology course online through the University of New England, which Duke accepts despite its' status as only Regionally Accredited.

I've seen scattered talk of this course before, but does anyone have any advice/feedback about the course?

Best of luck to you all! 

I took my micro course online through Clovis Community College. It's 100% accredited and I had no issues with schools accepting it (including Duke and Wisconsin-Madison). It's also only about 400 bucks as opposed to 1k+.

Archived