I have already taken a Physiology course at my 4-year university, but have not taken the Physiology LAB yet. I was planning to take Physio Lab at a community college. Are PA programs particular if I took the lecture course and lab at different schools?

Thank you very much!

I'm not sure how schools would feel about that. The only thing I can tell you is that they generally prefer courses from a 4 year school. Community college courses are accepted, but from the PA schools I talked to last year, they really prefer courses at 4 year institutions. I recommend asking a couple of the schools you're interested in. When I applied last year, I felt that most of the schools were more than willing to help out! 

It might be a problem.  I had a program that was upset that my A&P 1 was taken at a different school than my A&P2 course even though I could provide syllabi for each to prove everything was covered.

Generally I think the goal is to take the lab WITH the course - whether it's at a CC or University.  Can you take a whole course (class and lab) at the CC?  I'd say that would cover all your bases.

I've heard that old community college versus 4 year school stuff for a long time. In my experience, it wasn't a factor.

So many people have jobs after college, need to add to their healthcare experience, and also need to take prereqs they might have missed out on at the same time. That is where community college shines; you can take easily take classes at night or on-line and take your exams when it fits your schedule.

Checking with your schools of interest is, however, a good idea.

As far as the lab goes, another good thing to ask schools about. Worse comes to worse, you could repeat the physiology course and take the lab at the same time. 

Good luck!

Archived