The six pack rule...

anyone else do this:

If a provider leaves a sharp on a tray and it is found by a nurse or tech the guilty party owes the person who found it a 6 pack of their beverage of choice. I make my students do this and for the first time in a long time I got hit with it last week. fortunately, the tech only wanted a 6 pack of Snapple kiwi-strawberry...if nothing else, it's a good learning tool. I have seen this applied in other environments as well like scuba class. leave a lone tank (not in a bc or holder) standing upright you owe the person who catches it a 6 pack.

even on the busiest of shifts I would always clean my own sharps (but not the rest of the bloody mess) - If for some reason (usually the nurse being right there telling me I have to go somewhere NOW) I would point out each and every sharp, showing the nurse where it is, and making sure they see me..... only did this a few times....

never lost that one, but followed the same rule

Good idea...I always make it a point of cleaning up my own mess AND doing the dishes (time permitting).  When I was a medic in the Army, had more than my fare share of times when I was on CSR duty where some dolt would send back a dirty tray for resterilization without even throwing out the bloody gauze, much less the sharps.  Care to guess who the worst offenders were?  NP's...because our docs not only knew better, but usually had a medic with them to make sure things were done correctly.   Seems most of them figured that cleaning up was now below them somehow. 

SK

Archived