Two and half weeks...ugh

before I go back to school......wtf?

I swore, SWORE after I finished my master's that that WAS IT. And now here I am, about to go back to classes, granted online, but still, back to classes, have assignments due, tests....and then have to complete a dissertation.

Anyone else besides my wife here, think I am nuts?

It's all about the sale. My wife when I approached her, was quite apprehensive and reticent, and my explaining that I had some serious connections, and actually ENJOYED policy matters, and administrative functions didn't seem to matter. BUT, once I explained it this way:

Me: Honey, you know how you are always sick of me working nights, weekends, and holidays?

Wife: Yeah, so?

Me: Honey, once I finish this degree, it will open doors in the policy and administration arenas, which I don't necessarily have to do, BUT it could even afford the opportunity of moving into a more administrative role, which would mean more 9-5 weekdays, and few if any weekends or nights.

Wife: OH, well, if it's something that you really want to do, then you should do it.

LOL....it's all about the sale.

Of course, now I am wondering if I am a bit crazy....:confused:

Not crazy...before I even finished my master's I was thinking about what I was going to with my free time after I finished. I haven't started yet, but within the next year I'll be starting on another degree.

Can I ask why? You are a PA... you have an awesome degree and can work and make good money! Why are you getting another degree?

And Physasst... You too. What administrative roles are possibilities and what is the second degree youre working for?

Can I ask why? You are a PA... you have an awesome degree and can work and make good money! Why are you getting another degree?

And Physasst... You too. What administrative roles are possibilities and what is the second degree youre working for?

I am completing a Doctoral of Health Sciences degree with an emphasis on Organizational leadership and behaviour, as well as Health Policy

To be completely honest, I still enjoy clinical practice, but like my friend Rod Hooker, I am becoming much, MUCH more involved in health policy circles, and this seems to be where and what I am spending much of my time thinking about.

As far as what roles are possible.....

Ask Frank Trembulak. He's a PA, and he was just recently named the Chief Operating Officer, and Executive Vice President of the sixth largest health system in the country.......Geisinger.

The sky is the limit for us.

As for myself, I am becoming involved with the Mayo Clinic Health Policy Center, I've been in contact via email with several large health policy think tanks in Washington, and have even been in touch with Ezekiel Emanuel (Rahm Emanuel's brother, a breast oncologist, graduate of Harvard Medical school, Rhodes Scholar, and the chair of the NIH bioethics department) who right now, after Daschles departures, is Obama's chief health policy advisor.

I am becoming much more involved, because like it or not, there are some VERY substantial changes coming to the healthcare delivery system in the next 10-15 years. The PA profession needs someone at the table. I think I can be that person.

You gotta do what makes you happy and what drives you. No one should ever be complacent. Obviously, both the husband and the wife need to agree and support each other. Now is the time to sacrifice, when you are younger, so you and your family can reap the benefits in the future.

Hope it works out for you.

physasst,

1st Follow your Heart!

as long as your wife is supportive. (as it sounds)

2nd Be Honest:

It's not the hours, cause theyre plenty of other jobs which can be 9-5 m-f!

3rd2nd Thoughts?

Why are you really having 2nd thoughts?

a. Your wife agrees with your plan....

b. You are signed up to start online school....

c. You can still work your f/t job......

d. .....only you can answer..........

Good Luck

I don't know...I like keeping busy with something and after spending so much time in school it kind of became the norm to me. Perhaps I'm just crazy. I would also like to eventually get into admin or teaching down the road. So, i think a DHSc will be helpful.

I am becoming much more involved, because like it or not, there are some VERY substantial changes coming to the healthcare delivery system in the next 10-15 years.

How about 3 years? Better finish that degree quickly :)

• 2 years later...
physasst,

2nd Be Honest:

You are aware that most administrative healthcare jobs that approach anything like senior leadership and even many mid level admin jobs are nothing like 9-5 right? Think 60 hours on good weeks. Oh and that week you have to work 100 hours, don't expect any pay bonus or hourly pay over 40 hours...

You talk like you want to want to be "up there" in terms of admin work, and most of them work way, way worse hours than clinical staff.

That said, there is work for admins that is 9-5 (but generally not in the higher echelons...). There is also work for clinical PAs in the 9-5 world as well.

Manic is right about the hours thing being a put on..... If you want to do it, do it. But be honest with yourself and your wife.

Source: Wife is a healthcare admin of a major system in dfw area.

physasst,

2nd Be Honest:

You are aware that most administrative healthcare jobs that approach anything like senior leadership and even many mid level admin jobs are nothing like 9-5 right? Think 60 hours on good weeks. Oh and that week you have to work 100 hours, don't expect any pay bonus or hourly pay over 40 hours...

You talk like you want to want to be "up there" in terms of admin work, and most of them work way, way worse hours than clinical staff.

That said, there is work for admins that is 9-5 (but generally not in the higher echelons...). There is also work for clinical PAs in the 9-5 world as well.

Manic is right about the hours thing being a put on..... If you want to do it, do it. But be honest with yourself and your wife.

Source: Wife is a healthcare admin of a major system in dfw area.

Do it!

Life is to short

great to have more PAs in admin as this will really provide yet another avenue for PAs to florish.

Personally I think a lot of the administrator positions in a hospital currently filled by nurses should be filled by PAs

I share your same thoughts but am a few years behind you. Will likely look at Dhs or some other doctorate degree in the

next 5 years (need time to convince myself of my own stupid plan)

do it and enjoy it......

Do it!

Life is to short

great to have more PAs in admin as this will really provide yet another avenue for PAs to florish.

Personally I think a lot of the administrator positions in a hospital currently filled by nurses should be filled by PAs

I share your same thoughts but am a few years behind you. Will likely look at Dhs or some other doctorate degree in the

do it and enjoy it......

Do it!

Life is to short

do it and enjoy it......

I am 3 courses into a 15 course sequence for a DHSc in global health and am enjoying the experience. I cut back at work(down to full time-165 hrs or so- from 200/mo) so even with the program I feel like I have more free time.

Do it!

Life is to short

do it and enjoy it......

I am 3 courses into a 15 course sequence for a DHSc in global health and am enjoying the experience. I cut back at work(down to full time-165 hrs or so- from 200/mo) so even with the program I feel like I have more free time.

Archived