How much chemistry in PA school?

Hello all,

I wanted to gain insight on how much chemistry is taught in PA school and if you felt prepared for the content. I ask because I struggled a bit in chemistry(2 C's) with certain topics, mainly the math portions, but I have received A's in physiology/pathophysiology, cardiovascular phys/pharmacology etc. I feel like I really understand chemical concepts in physiology, however, chemistry still scares me lol. I will be taking biochemistry in the spring and I know it is part of the PA school curriculum so if anyone has any insight on this topic I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Hawk

Hello all,

I wanted to gain insight on how much chemistry is taught in PA school and if you felt prepared for the content. I ask because I struggled a bit in chemistry(2 C's) with certain topics, mainly the math portions, but I have received A's in physiology/pathophysiology, cardiovascular phys/pharmacology etc. I feel like I really understand chemical concepts in physiology, however, chemistry still scares me lol. I will be taking biochemistry in the spring and I know it is part of the PA school curriculum so if anyone has any insight on this topic I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Hawk

Little to none. Biochemistry has a few topics that you will need to pay attention to when it comes to genetics and things like the Bohr effect and the oxygen-hemoglobin disassociation curve. Other than that... Pass the class and move on.

Agreed. On my way to 4th quarter and the only time they reference chemistry in lectures is as a study aide

I agree with the other poster, I am about to start 3rd semester didactic and haven't seen a whole lot of chemistry related material. I understand why they require it as it is foundational knowledge but the math type stuff, formulas, etc have yet to be seen

@Hawkeyes

Biochem: actually isn't part of the didactic of PA school, it is however, for Med school. There is absolutely no chem-related question for anything in PA school. Maybe some small info related to the patho of some condition - No need to worry at all about chem. Most of all questions are going to be clinically relevant or big picture kinda thing

Math: needed for Pharm that's all - for prescription writing. It's elementary arithmetic (ratios etc)

I've only been in PA school for 1 week and chemistry has already popped up several times in our pharmacology class. Nothing like my organic chemistry classes though. Pretty basic stuff you could re-learn if you forgot. Like last lecture we talked about how the pH and pKa affect how a drug is ionized or unionized in the stomach, which will ultimately tell you a little bit about how much of it is absorbed by the body or not. It's basically the henderson-hasselbalch equation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived