Its finally time to apply, and I am worried...

It has been a little more than 2 years since Ive made the decision to become a PA. Ive been to numerous information nights where almost every program here in SoCal tells everyone that they are looking for someone who is well rounded and doesnt necessarily need to have a perfect GPA. Now that Im ready for the next step to apply, my GPA isnt the best. I have a 3.1 (still need to take one more science class), but I have more the enough working experience as an ER tech (over 3000 hrs), a second job working for a real estate agent, volunteered over 500 hrs, over 25 hrs shadowing, and tutored anatomy. I never had anything lower than a B in all of my science courses. What are my chances of getting in? I feel that the admins would focus more on my GPA and not give me a chance to explain. 

Hello and welcome. 

#1 wrong section :P 

#2 I checked numerous programs in Cali and majority of them have a cGPA (matriculated) of 3.2-3.3 range so you're not far off. Your HCE is above average based on the amount of posts I've seen on here applying with anywhere from 500-1000 hours. 

#3 write a phenomenal essay that shows how well-rounded you are, sit back, and watch the interview invites roll in .

Good luck.

Most programs are probably not inclined to try to fill up with 4.0 students. The thing that you have to convince a program is that you will survive acadamically. One thing that happens to suggest that is a high GPA. But programs usually will evaluate that as part of the big picture.

If your GPA is borderline (or slightly worse) you run the risk of basically being auto-rejected as the program culls its application pile. Contact the programs that you are interested in and speak to someone. You need to find an advocate who can get your jacket out of the autoreject pile so a human being can look at it. You might also get a sense of how hard a cutoff it is. When a program publishes admissions standards, they usually have to stick with them fairly rigidly.

Hi there! I think writing a strong personal statement definitely makes a difference. Also, some schools will say what their minimum GPA requirement is, but then also some have a statement around having a lower GPA than the minimum will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Another thing to look at is what was your overall GPA for your last 60 credit hours? A lot of programs will take that into consideration because usually at that point in your academic career you are taking upper division coursework. Schools definitely want to be able to see that you can handle the large amount of material and complexity of the material that the program will have. Don't fell discouraged. Also don't feel discouraged if you end up having to apply more than once, but use that as an opportunity to strengthen your application even more. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll echo UGoLong.  Gotta put yourself out there.  Often the only thing that separates a successful person from someone who doesn't succeed at life is a lack of commitment to dreams and aspirations.  You're stats are definitely in the ball park.  Embrace the uncertainty and enjoy it.  Once your in school, there will be nothing but uncertainty for a long time.  :)

Archived