How can I improve my volunteer experience

Guest Opie1210

Guest Opie1210

Hello everyone :)

I'm graduating this summer with my bio degree and plan to devote the next year to building my resume before I apply next cycle in 2016. First let me say, my GPA is not strong. It's in the 3.3-3.4 area. I'm hoping I can set myself apart with my work experience and volunteer work. I have been a CNA for three months now and will have 1,500+ hours by the time I start applying. Also, I was a pharm tech for two years. I know only some schools consider that HCE hours, but it can't hurt me nonetheless. I'm beginning to volunteer at a local hospital and they will be setting me up with a few PAs to shadow. I have been looking through other student's post and I see a wide array of volunteer experience. My question is how do I go about finding these opportunities? Mind you, I do not have the resources to go on one of these medical brigades across the world. So, what are some ways I can use volunteering to set my application apart? I feel as though I am just an average candidate now but I'd like to take advantage of the time I have off from school to build my resume.

What are you passionate about? Are you planning to write your PS and tell ad comms that you want to help under-served communities? If so, definitely get some volunteer experience at some public health clinics. Do you want to be an OBGYN PA? If that's your passion, then find volunteer opportunities at a women's shelter. You get the idea.

Personally, I went with commitment. Instead of volunteering at a different places every semester, I made at least 1 full year commitment to each of my causes. And my causes weren't always directly healthcare related - my most significant volunteer commitments were working at a women's shelter that offered rape crisis services, and working at a resale shop where all proceeds went directly back to the local children's hospital. Not especially healthcare related, but I framed it in my app as an emphasis on people skills, attention to detail, and commitment to the community.

Work hard while your volunteering - don't just play on your phone and gaze off into space. You want to make an impression that so supervisors will give you more responsibility (good things to list off in that application!). Plus, not only does that show dedication, but then you could also get a solid LOR from your supervisor.

Guest Opie1210

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately with working full time, summer classes, pa shadowing, and volunteering at the hospital I can't commit to volunteering to the extent that you did. But, I'm going to take your advice and look into shelters in this area and get an idea of what I'd like to do. I just wasn't sure where to start. But, learning about other students' experience really helps. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA shadowing shouldn't take that much of your time. At some point you've seen enough to know and articulate why you want to be a PA. At that point, stop.

If you're already volunteering at the hospital I don't see a need to pick up anything additional (especially if you're not going to do it regularly). When you have a real passion for something it shows. I would take an applicant who volunteered at one place for years and demonstrated real interest in helping people over someone who skipped around from spot to spot and listed 20 hours each on an application.

There's many volunteer opportunities available. Habitat for Humanity, March of Dimes, Make-A-Wish, etc.

Although in my opinion, someone who volunteers at one specific place for a year isn't any more passionate than someone who volunteers at multiple places even if it was for 15 hours. Volunteering is about giving back and contributing to your community not about how much time and effort you can put into one specific cause. Whatever you do, even if it is just for a day, week or month, do it to the best of your ability and enjoy the experience.

Guest Opie1210

Thanks! You're right I don't think it matters how long you do it. Unfortunately, I've always had to work while going to school and it's not something I've ever had time to do.

• Administrator

Adcoms can smell box-checking.  Volunteering only when there's nothing left to do to buff your application may not be worth your time.  I had a 20 year history of volunteering at the time of my successful application.  You're likely too young for that to be relevant, but 3-5 years in something consistent would have looked a lot better than anything you can possibly do now.

Guest Opie1210

Yeah I see your point. The only reason I asked in the first place was because I was looking at stats of other applicants and I saw they had various volunteer experience, but they were not necessarily long term. I don't think it will be a deciding favor for whether I get in or not but I figured it couldn't hurt. I have been busy with work and school the past few years and this is the first time I actually have time for it so I figured why not.

If you can show some initiative and organize an event or fundraiser, that might stand out a little bit. Volunteering will not get you into PA school. Neither will a high GPA, a great GRE score or a stellar PS. It is a package deal... make sure every piece counts. 

I would point out that 3.3/3.4 is not a particularly weak GPA.  You would do yourself a favor by calculating your CASPA GPAs to see where you stand.

Otherwise, pick something you feel attracted to and stick it.  Opportunities will find you if you display competence, decent work ethic and are generally a pleasant person to be around.  As others have mentioned, don't hop around different stints as a volunteer just to fill out your application as this is obvious and shows lack of commitment.

Archived