Delicate Ortho Surgery

I worked in open heart many moons ago, and I used to pick on my ortho friends then. After seeing this, I am going to have a field day. I was waiting for the first guy to pop himself in the chin.

It calls to mind Obi Wan's quote:

"Your father’s lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

seems like an ideal thing for a slap hammer

simple carpenter tool

They do make slap hammers, and they specifically thread into the top of the tibial nail for such purposes (unless it is stripped)... It's extremetly rare to need to take a tibial nail out anyway, if anything causes pain it would be the interlocking screws which are easily removed... these guys did themselves no favors with that technique!

Reminds me of three things that happened on my ortho rotations - first being handed a drill wth a 2.5ft bit on it to drill anchor holes for an ACL replacement, assisting in smacking bone traction pins into a conscious patient for a femur fracture and then the look of the face of the arsehole resident I was working with when I managed to bend a bone marrow aspiration needle with trocar on someone's hip during a bone graft...we had no more difficulties after that.

Archived