I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Why is Hemophilia uncommon in women?

Hemophilia A is a resessive sex linked trait found on the X chromosome. Men only have one X chromosome, and therefore have a 50% chance of expression if the mother is a carrier or 100% chance if the mother is a hemophiliac. Women must have the gene on both X chromosomes to express the disease since it is recessive, therefore making it rarer in women.

For any others out there, what factor is defective in Hemophilia A?

Just a guess...a lowly PRE PA here...women are carriers of the gene for hemophilia passing it on only if they have the gene for it 50/50 chance with X and Y in girls make it less likely...Men who havethe gene pass it on and male babies can recieve it ...only the X chromosome is the carrier... Yeah???

Edit: Darn Brad...you said it much better than I did...LOL...but thats the jist of what I meant! And you arefaster to reply!!

Edited by Prospective PA
Edit comment

Just a guess...a lowly PRE PA here...women are carriers of the gene for hemophilia passing it on only if they have the gene for it 50/50 chance with X and Y in girls make it less likely...Men who havethe gene pass it on and male babies can recieve it ...only the X chromosome is the carrier... Yeah???

Edit: Darn Brad...you said it much better than I did...LOL...but thats the jist of what I meant! And you arefaster to reply!!

One small error you have above. Men can't pass on X chromosomes to male babies, only to women. Transmission goes from male hemophiliac to female carrier, who passes it on to her sons 50% of the time....

• 1 month later...
Guest ttayl362

Well I don't know how much you want to credit me seeing how I am a lowly pre PA-S but here is what I came up with. I took Pharm in undergrad so I know the lingo for the most part and understand how to read the literature (for whatever that is worth). So here goes nothing.

The anti-inflammatory activity of prednisone is approxaimately four times that of hydrocortisone on a weight-weight basis.

I cut the comparison below from: http://arthritis.about.com/cs/steroids/a/corticosteroids_2.htm

"According to The Pill Book (Bantam Books), using 5 mg of prednisone as the basis for comparison, equivalent doses of the other corticosteroids are:

That site also has a cool little converter for equivalent dosages of other corticosteriods. I hope that was what you were looking for. Sorry for wasting your time if it wasn't.:D

C protein level, APC resistance, antithrombin 3 level and tests for connective tissue disorders like lupus plus previously mentioned.

lupus anticoagulant factor, not ana.

fortunately where I work we have something called a "stroke in the young panel" that includes all the esoteric coag studies.....

MOST EXCELLANT;

APCR (Activated Protein C Resistence), -- if ratio is low, then what?

Lupus anticoagulant

anticardiolipin antibodies IgG and IgM

Antithrombin acitvity

Fasting homocysteine

Factor VII acitivt

Protein C and Protein S activity

Prothrombin 20210A mutation

-------

so, what do you do if the APC is low, and

comadin and heparin affect the Lupus anticoagulant differently, any idea how? (eg which leg of the test is effected by which anticoagulant?)

coumadin decreases availabilty of factor X which makes the test take longer to clot because russel viper venom attaches and activates factor X in presence of phospholipids and factor V. The heparin makes antithrombin 3 change conformation and pull out activated factor X so this keeps the blood from staying clotted once it starts. I think thats what you're looking for.

Exactly.

good job.

so:

APCR (Activated Protein C Resistence), -- if ratio is low, ==> Leiden fV. mutation

Lupus anticoagulant (if LA-PTT clot prolonged- check thrombin to assess for heparin-.. if DRVVT prolonged, suspect coumadin)

anticardiolipin antibodies IgG and IgM

Antithrombin acitvity

Fasting homocysteine

Factor VII acitivty

Protein C and Protein S activity

Prothrombin 20210A mutation

and this will pretty much cover the basic work up for thrombophillic states.

Now (and Andersen may have covered this):

Why does one start anticoagulation with heparin or LMWH rather than simply starting on coumadin?