I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

• 4 weeks later...
1 candida

2.Gardinella

3 Pregnancy? ( it causes swelling! what is the name of that eponym?)

1. Candida

2. Gardnerella/BV

3. ??

I'm not sure about an eponym... anyone else know which one that is? Pregnancy increases the risk of candidiasis & BV, but the third one is associated with unprotected sex.... well, I guess pregnancy is too, sometimes :p ... the third is an STD.

atelectasis, UTI, wound infection, drugs, dvt

Chest, Vol 107, 81-84, Copyright © 1995 by American College of Chest Physicians

ARTICLES

Lack of association between atelectasis and fever

M Engoren

Department of Anesthesiology, Saint Vincent Medical Center, Toledo, Ohio. Postoperative fever occurs in many patients. If no infection is found, atelectasis, if present, may be blamed. This study of 100 postoperative cardiac surgery patients followed up from day of surgery through the second postoperative day with daily portable chest radiographs and continuous bladder thermometry was designed to look for an association between atelectasis and fever. The daily incidence of atelectasis increased from 43 to 69 to 79%. However, the incidence of fever, defined as temperature > or = 38.0 degrees C fell from 37 to 21 to 17%. When defined as temperature > or = 38.5 degrees C, the daily incidence of fever fell daily from 14 to 3 to 1%. Using chi 2 analysis, no association could be found between fever and amount of atelectasis. This contradicts common textbook dogma but agrees with previous human study and animal experiments.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fever in the ICU

Paul E. Marik MD, FCCP

Chest

Volume 117 • Number 3 • March 2000

Copyright © 2000 The American College of Chest Physicians

Atelectasis is commonly implicated as a cause of fever. Standard ICU texts list atelectasis as a cause of fever, although they provide no primary source. Indeed a major surgery text states that "fever is almost always present [in patients with atelectasis]." However, Engeron studied 100 postoperative cardiac surgery patients and was unable to demonstrate a relationship between atelectasis and fever. Furthermore, when atelectasis is induced in experimental animals by ligation of a mainstem bronchus, fever does not occur. However, Kisala and coworkers demonstrated that IL-1 and TNF-alpha levels of macrophage cultures from atelectatic lungs were significantly increased compared with the control lungs. The role of atelectasis as a cause of fever is unclear; however, atelectasis probably does not cause fever in the absence of pulmonary infection.

1. Candida

2. Gardnerella/BV

3. ??

I'm not sure about an eponym... anyone else know which one that is? Pregnancy increases the risk of candidiasis & BV, but the third one is associated with unprotected sex.... well, I guess pregnancy is too, sometimes :p ... the third is an STD.

Trich??

pahopeful

DM patients? Can cause hyperglycemia.

Nope.... since I know everyone is dying to know the answer :rolleyes: and it's a toughie, here it is:

A: In Sickle Cell Disease

CAIs, lower the aqueous pH in anterior chamber and promotes further sickling. Sickled RBCs block outflow track and increase the IOP further.

Tintinalli 5th ed., Sec.18, Ch.230, p.1511

I didn't make these last two up, btw. I get a question-a-day from www.open-er.com. Well, it's supposed to be one a day; I get a few per week. Great site full of EM board-prep questions. I was happy to see how many of them cover info we've learned in PA school, though :)

• 1 month later...
Physeal arrest....

That's one of three effects listed in the answer:

The greater chance of physeal arrest and joint incongruity. The higher S-H fractures (III, IV, V) are much more likely to injure the vascular supply on the physis.

The effects of nicotine on sperm are????

or the way it was put to me...

Did you realize that nicotine makes the tails fall off sperm... :)??

Nope, didn'tknow that one... butI'm unlikely to forget it now! 3.gif

here's one my attending asked me. why does cardiac tamponade cause a pt to "code"? (as in explain the physiology)

what, no takers? there are so many em/trauma afficionados here i'm surprised!

"code" being the cessation of myocardial contraction, i'd say that it is caused by a rapid-onset pericardial effusion in which the pericardial pressure becomes greater than the chamber pressures, mechanically preventing the heart from expanding/relaxing. the prolonged (artificial) systole would prevent the coronaries from filling, since they fill during diastole - creating an ischemic state that would complicate the mechanical compresion.

:confused: