LOR from a Dr or a PA?

• 2 weeks later...

What would a perfect group of three LORs look like? Especially if none are required to be professors?

I can get really any combo (docs, PAs, supervisor), and I am with OP here in that I don't know who to choose. Would three attendings be best? Doc, PA, boss?

Maybe I should look in school specific, but I appreciate any advice.

Number 1: Do whatever the schools want you to do.

Number 2: Get letters from people who would write good letters for you, regardless of what their role in your life is/was.

Number 3: Get letters from people who (a) know your work ethic and ability to work with others, (b) know about your academic performance,and/or © know your patient care skills.

If a PA is not required and the one(s) you know don't fall into "Number 3" above, then don't use them. A mediocre PA letter does not trump a good letter from a non-PA.

When I applied, I followed a strategy not all that different from Torshi's above: Chief of my squad, professor from school, senior executive (and close friend) from work.

Number 1: Do whatever the schools want you to do.

Number 2: Get letters from people who would write good letters for you, regardless of what their role in your life is/was.

Number 3: Get letters from people who (a) know your work ethic and ability to work with others, (b) know about your academic performance,and/or © know your patient care skills.

If a PA is not required and the one(s) you know don't fall into "Number 3" above, then don't use them. A mediocre PA letter does not trump a good letter from a non-PA.

When I applied, I followed a strategy not all that different from Torshi's above: Chief of my squad, professor from school, senior executive (and close friend) from work.

Thanks for the advice, basically just go for good letters. Do adcoms put any weight on writer status? Does a medical director carry more weight than a regular attending? All the docs here regardless of position do floor shifts and any would likely write me a decent letter.

Archived