Master's In Biomedical Sciences

Hey guys,

This year was my second attempt at applying. I was again rejected again without an interview. I applied to CU-Denver, Pacific, OHSU, LSU, and Rocky Mountain College. ( I am only applying to new and private schools next year!)

My stats are as follows:

Overall GPA: 3.41

Science GPA: 3.06

Graduate GPA: 3.53

GRE: v151, q148, 4.5

HCE: approx. 3,000 hours

-CNA (1910hrs): typical CNA duties in a specialized facility for long term Pts. with specific mental and physical disabilities

-CNA shift manager (450hrs): Worked with N.P. to ensure medications where available, accurate, and properly dispensed according to the MAR. New staff orientation manager.

-Ophthalmic assistant (920hrs): Experience in all subspecialties excluding neuro. Pre/post op examinations. General check up/prescription duties. Observation of various ocular surgeries.

Shadowing/volunteering:

-DO (5hrs)

-Pediatric PA (8hrs)

-NP (20hrs)

-Fort Collins rescue mission (soup kitchen, 10hrs)

After being denied again, I began a 1-year biomedical sciences master's degree at Colorado State University. My concentration is in human anatomy.

I just finished my first semester which included a comprehensive dissection of the human body. My dissection group consisted of 3 other students and we were graded weekly on dissection accuracy and cleanliness, not only identification accuracy. I put my heart and soul into this class and I learned more in one section than I did in all of undergrad anatomy but only finished with a B. I also was a TA for the undergraduate anatomy lab which not only tests your knowledge but also your confidence and poise. I also took an advanced anatomy class (cross sectional and case study anatomy) and the first of a two part medical physiology class in which I earned an A. This upcoming spring semester includes neuroanatomy and the second part of medical physiology. I will also be a GTA for the undergraduate physiology lab ( which is paying my tuition and stipend!)

I have heard a lot of negative stuff about 1-year master's programs but I believe we have a really good thing here at CSU for future clinicians. I wanted to get some other peoples opinions on whether schools look positively on graduate work. Also, is it worth my time to go back and retake those classes I got C's in (genetics, Chem 2, Ochem) after I finish my masters? More volunteer and shadowing? Let me hear your suggestions!

Thank you for all of you that made it through that small biography and I appreciate any advice!

cheers,

-Stephen

it probably is your Sci gpa that is stopping you from getting interviews. sounds like you are taking positive steps and can demonstrate next cycle that you really have the passion to be a PA. apply broadly. folks with stats not as good as yours have gotten spots. be persistent. good luck.

Archived