What to do after undergrad

I am graduating this summer from undergrad at UCONN. I faced some personal issues during my sophomore year that caused me to take the spring semester off, and I probably jumped back into a full course load too soon because I struggled to get passing grades the returning semester and into the next year of school. Ultimately my GPA really suffered and I went from a 3.7 down below a 3. I am working to boost my gpa as much as possible before I graduate, but I know this will be the real cause of issue while applying to PA schools in the future. I have already accumulated over 1000 hours as a CNA in assisted living and hospital settings and I will have much more by the time I do apply. However, I know the real red flag of my application will be my horrible GPA. I am currently looking into applying to get a masters degree in biology or something in hope that it will show that I am capable of handling the rigor of PA school. If anyone has any suggestions on what major to apply to grad school, if this is even a beneficial idea, or anything to help I would greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by caroline2021

On 1/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, ANESMCR said:

You don’t necessarily need to go get a MSc. That also won’t erase your BSc Gpa. Why not just retake or continue taking prereq’s for another semester or two and get your Gpa >3?

Many schools now accept graduate GPAs. That is why I was advised to apply to a masters program. However, in your opinion, would it look better then instead to retake those prereqs for a better grade that to have a masters. 

1 hour ago, caroline2021 said:

Many schools now accept graduate GPAs. That is why I was advised to apply to a masters program. However, in your opinion, would it look better then instead to retake those prereqs for a better grade that to have a masters. 

You could take either road and be fine. Depends on your goals. You have to weigh each option appropriately. What would a MSc in biomed/biology/etc do for you in regard to being a PA? Probably absolutely nothing. Would it open up opportunity to apply to med school or perhaps a nonclinical/lab occupation, sure. Would it serve in place of your undergrad Gpa? Absolutely. 

If you only plan on becoming a PA, I personally don’t see the benefit vs retaking classes and taking additional supplemental prereq’s.  

Edited by ANESMCR