Hey there, sorry if this is something that has been overdone, but I've canvased the internet looking for what a day in the life of the military PA looks like and I can't find anything.

I was wondering if I could get a synopsis of what it would be like for someone after they graduate from a PA program to join and work in the military, whatever branch that may be.

Working hours? Location? Where do you live? What are your responsibilities outside of seeing patients? Pay? Benefits? Pros? Cons?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Super broad question.  Basically, if you are coming into the military as a civilian, you go where the military tells you to go, and do what your command tells you to do.  You could land a decent location as a Navy GMO at Camp Pendleton just outside of Orange County, CA...or you could end up stuck in the middle of nowhere at a place like Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri.  It varies wildly, and the needs are not like they were when we were still involved in OIF/OEF (though combatting IS may see us return to the mideast, and if that's the case, expect to ship there).

Work hours can vary wildly also.  If you are at a large hospital command, expect a regular schedule with whatever hours you are told to work.  You may get stuck doing sick call for a couple of years, you may get a chance to specialize.  Is it conducive to having a family life?  Depends on what you or your family are willing to put up with.  Some families do well in the military, some can't handle it and break up.  Some suffer through it just to get to the end of a 4 year contract, some are motivated and stay in for 25+ years. 

Your responsibilities outside of seeing patients also, again, varies.  Your command will give you things to do, and you will always have to maintain grooming, fitness and uniform standards.  Sounds like a lot, but it all becomes second nature after a few months, like anything else.  Whatever you do, don't join unless you are ready to give your entire life up to do whatever the military tells you to do, to go wherever they tell you to go, accepting that whatever it is it might be the worst thing you have ever been stuck with in your life - you absolutely cannot maintain a civilian perspective on life in the military.  Nothing is worse than trying to maintain an operational tempo with individuals who hate their life becuase they let a recruiter or friends sucker them into joining.  If you're truly interested, never take what the recruiter says seriously, and don't sign ANYTHING unless all of your conditions are met in a contract.  If the detailers cannot meet your conditions and you are not willing to budge, then walk out and get a higher paying civilian job.

Best of luck to you.

Archived